Hurricane Irma

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes, but you have 2 types. Schedule 80 PVC with joints that always seem to leak water no matter how good you glue it, and fused HDPE which is usually more expensive to buy and install. I work in DE, another area with a high water table. You make sure you're standing back when they blow the mule tape in because you will get wet. Once the water's there, all it takes is one nick to the insulation for the wire to start arcing.

Schedule 80 PVC leaks because its so thermally unstable and the glue joints eventually break

DisneyCane

A quick additional comment to the underground power lines comments from this thread. The lines a the top of a typical pole can cost around $1.5 million per line per mile to put underground when you are looking at adding a new line in a "virgin" area. This cost can be even higher with the challenges of converting an already developed area.

Many utility poles have 3 lines on the top (sometimes even 6 or 9). That means a minimum of $4.5 million per mile to switch overhead to underground. Based on FPL having 43,000 miles of overhead lines and assuming some mix of 3 lines vs 1 line, it would cost at least $90 BILLION dollars for them to convert everything.

There are other utilities that serve other areas of the state as well. I don't know what the percentages are but even if FPL serves 2/3 of the state, you'd have to add another $45 billion to convert the rest. Therefore, it would cost at least $135 billion to convert the entire State of Florida to underground electric.

Underground is not completely unsusceptible to windstorm damage. Trees grow roots under the conduit and if the tree gets knocked over, the root system can take out the lines. When underground lines are damaged, they take longer to fix. So Florida utility customers would pay at least $135 billion to get a little less impact from hurricanes but be out of power longer when it goes out.

Dubman

KEYWEST.jpg

Shared by a friend of ours whose Son was supposed to get married at a resort in Key West next weekend.. So sad to see all the devastation there. they don't live in the area, but it is their favorite vacation spot... :(

MySmallWorldof4

View attachment 229212

Shared by a friend of ours whose Son was supposed to get married at a resort in Key West next weekend.. So sad to see all the devastation there. they don't live in the area, but it is their favorite vacation spot... :(
Thanks for the picture. I always watch the southernmost webcam to watch people wait on line to get a picture there. Hoping the recovery will be quicker than expected.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A quick additional comment to the underground power lines comments from this thread. The lines a the top of a typical pole can cost around $1.5 million per line per mile to put underground when you are looking at adding a new line in a "virgin" area. This cost can be even higher with the challenges of converting an already developed area.

Many utility poles have 3 lines on the top (sometimes even 6 or 9). That means a minimum of $4.5 million per mile to switch overhead to underground. Based on FPL having 43,000 miles of overhead lines and assuming some mix of 3 lines vs 1 line, it would cost at least $90 BILLION dollars for them to convert everything.

There are other utilities that serve other areas of the state as well. I don't know what the percentages are but even if FPL serves 2/3 of the state, you'd have to add another $45 billion to convert the rest. Therefore, it would cost at least $135 billion to convert the entire State of Florida to underground electric.

Underground is not completely unsusceptible to windstorm damage. Trees grow roots under the conduit and if the tree gets knocked over, the root system can take out the lines. When underground lines are damaged, they take longer to fix. So Florida utility customers would pay at least $135 billion to get a little less impact from hurricanes but be out of power longer when it goes out.

Underground lines are not a panacea, HV distribution lines are usually not damaged in storms but residential lines usually sustain heavy damage.

21stamps

View attachment 229212

Oh that's sad. Hopefully the couple will be able to celebrate their first anniversary in KW.

The photos and videos coming out of the Keys are devastating.

Attachments

• IMG_4330.PNG
    IMG_4330.PNG
    781.7 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_4332.PNG
    IMG_4332.PNG
    771.3 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_4334.PNG
    IMG_4334.PNG
    849.6 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:

disneygeek90

Hearing it could be 3 WEEKS until all of Naples/Ft Myers area is with power. I can't even imagine what it's like sleeping in south Florida in September with no ac. My friend posted a video of a Publix who was open, cash only, and all refrigerator items were stripped. Gas is still insanely scarce down there and people are going out at 6:30am to wait for the trucks.

DisneyCane

is that also the case in Orlando? We will arrive on Thursday.

It is but more stations will come online every day. As power is restored people also need less gas to run generators. You'll be fine for gas on Thursday. Use the gasbuddy tracker to find stations operating with fuel available.

jaklgreen

Quick dining update for Monday Night:

The Wave switched yesterday to a buffet. We did Cali grill last night so didn't get to do this. Cali grill was great. But why oh why didn't I do this yesterday also?

Food was great.
The kicker? $15/adult. $8/child. Drinks included and still offering AP/DVC discount.

The managers- Jill w/ F&B and Oliver at the Wave were extraordinary. Eric at the front desk may have been the standout. Mim, the GM of The Contemporary and the staff is hands down the best resort during this storm. I travel for a living. I've stayed at every deluxe. I'm DVC. Never have I had this good of service.

And now, the dining room proudly presents... your dinner.

IMG_4180.jpg
IMG_4181.jpg
IMG_4185.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

IMG_4182.jpg
IMG_4184.jpg

The bottom line- they've learned their lesson from last year and came back and outdid themselves.

I don't think $15 is bad at all for a buffet. I mean you would have had to eat something anyway and most counter service meals with drink are around $10-$15 bucks. Heck Panera charges $9 for just 1 sandwich.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I would like to give a shout out to all the CM's who assisted with cleanup in and around the parks and resorts after Irma especially to get all the parks open within 24 hours after they began assessment on Monday morning. I know some work is still ongoing in places... but it looks like a great job in the short amount of time in my opinion with so much to do in so many different places. Job well done

rocketraccoon

Man, practically living in the woods is great for noise and privacy but it sucks knowing we won't get power for a few more days at the earliest even though we're fairly North. Phone lines will probably come back before power.

Managed to be first in line when a gas station reopened so I got a few cans for our generator which we are probably close to overloading.

Stetson University in DeLand is starting graduate classes again tomorrow even though undergraduate ones won't start until Monday at the absolute earliest. It's not a huge campus but parts of it still don't have power apparently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom