Hurricane Irma

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The underground areas still come back faster than the others, at least they always have in the past. I don't know all of the answers, but something has to be better than now.

According to FPL, that is not always true...

"Following recent hurricanes, we’ve found that areas that took the longest to repair were generally those served by underground facilities still flooded days after the storm passed. Damage and corrosion of underground electrical systems often shows up days or even months later, causing additional outages and inconvenience to customers"

https://www.fpl.com/reliability/underground-conversions/faq.html

Underground is not a magical solution to the problem, it has it's tradeoffs.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I would too! I'm talking about the people being told "weeks". Not days.. a few days is completely understandable. Irma was not Wilma in SoFla.. it shouldn't be the same timeframe. And remember, many of those people in SoFla right now are Keys refugees. Yes, I want them to have power sooner than later.

Where did you live that you didn't have cell service for 2 weeks? I was out for 5 days and it was excruciating. Can't even imaging that much longer!

Wilma may have been more powerful but it cut a smaller path across the state. Resources needed to restore power are not unlimited, so the more people who are out, the longer it is going to take to restore power to everyone.

bclane

Personally, I kinda want to put solar panels on my roof and a couple Tesla wall batteries in my house and just go off the grid (not the Tron Grid...I want to spend the rest of my days there). I wonder how much wind they can handle before blowing off.

21stamps

"Following recent hurricanes, we’ve found that areas that took the longest to repair were generally those served by underground facilities still flooded days after the storm passed. Damage and corrosion of underground electrical systems often shows up days or even months later, causing additional outages and inconvenience to customers"

I can't google a ton of links.. I can tell you as someone that was a long time resident of 3 counties in SoFla, they have always worked better than the lines themselves from everything I have seen.

Here's a quick article.. FPL has worked with many communities to do this.
http://palmbeachcivic.org/news/undergrounding/1536-local-communities-have-undergrounding-success

I keep wanting to end the subject, lol. If you're curious you can look up the various areas and what type of power outages they've faced in the past.. I'm sure it exists somewhere on the interwebs.

21stamps

Personally, I kinda want to put solar panels on my roof and a couple Tesla wall batteries in my house and just go off the grid (not the Tron Grid...I want to spend the rest of my days there). I wonder how much wind they can handle before blowing off.

Omg I can't remember when.. or what exact area..but I remember seeing a story on the news about a woman who lived totally off the grid and her city tried to force her to do the opposite.

I wish I could remember where that was.. I wanted to say Middle or north.. east coast though.

JohnD

Original Poster
OK folks, first let me admit (and apologize) that I have been as much a part of the problem as anyone else in derailing this thread. It has degraded into a debate on storm restoration and utilities. It in no way resembles its original purpose: to help people who were at or planning to go to WDW make intelligent decisions about what to do about Irma. I suspect that Mom would have rightly called our hand on this if she was online. (Hope she is OK and back soon if not already.)
I resolve to not come back to this thread and go back to other threads that have the purpose of helping others with their WDW related questions and needed information. And I usually learn quite a bit along the way too.
Goodbye, Irma. You were an unwelcome visitor. :(

There have been several derailments:
* Building code
* Hurricane theories
* Power restoration

I know I'm missing a few...

21stamps

There have been several derailments:
* Building code
* Hurricane theories
* Power restoration

I know I'm missing a few...

Infiniti cars ;)

In all seriousness, I hope we hear from the mom soon.. Jacksonville looks horrible on the news. Also Epcotisbest posted some pics from Atlanta last night that looks like a ton of cleanup required, I hope he's doing well too.

Mikey73181

Any chance that kind of like when a restaurant tells you there's a 30 minute wait but you end up getting seated in 10 minutes, that they are saying it could take a month, so that when they finish in two weeks people are happy that it took less time than they were told?! Instead of saying they will be done in two weeks but they run over and people are mad things weren't back up in time.

21stamps

Any chance that kind of like when a restaurant tells you there's a 30 minute wait but you end up getting seated in 10 minutes, that they are saying it could take a month, so that when they finish in two weeks people are happy that it took less time than they were told?! Instead of saying they will be done in two weeks but they run over and people are mad things weren't back up in time.

I hope for all of those who are affected that this is what it turns out to be.

JoeCamel

Universal playbook, underpromise and over deliver (except VB) Way to customer satisfaction.

Delgado

Does anyone know what happened to the guy on Fox News that said he was riding out the storm in his boat. I've been thinking about this guy ever since I heard that! All I could think is "poor unfortunate soul" hehe
But really ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Underground utilities dont do well in flooding conditions and when they fail they are very expensive to repair.

Especially in high water table areas not magical they do work well in residential areas with above ground high voltage feeders and developments being served with an above ground transformer and underground distribution to residences. That model works well as the components sensitive to flooding are above ground but the wires themselves are protected from storms

Ismael Flores

I have been stunned by the complete exploitation and insensitivity I have seen on just about every major televised outlet and this event. They get in peoples faces in shelters and try to goad them into telling dramatic stories, and the reporters/harassers are visually upset when rushing around like idiots trying to get people to say live on the air what they want - and when it's "we left, came to the shelter, made it fine" they keep rushing around during their 2-minute allotment until they can get someone with a "better", more dramatic story they can then re-run all day to show their reporters/harassers "in the thick of it".

If there was any question whatsoever that criticism of our media was somehow a political issue, this very non-partisan event and the coverage of it has sealed that answer up with a big bow on top.

At least they are getting called out on it...

(warning: language)

Although I agree to a certain degree this kind of reporting is done intentionally and is actually something that the Red Cross and FEMA enjoy.
Seeing buildings being destroyed is one thing but when you add a human face to it and the anguish it invokes people to be more concern and get involved.

This has been proven before and look at the response that Harvey and Irma is getting in regards to Texas and Florida. Meanwhile places like the carribean which got devastated is getting less coverage and donations are lower.

As for the video that was posted, it was made clear that the lady actually was asked before hand if she would speak for the camera and she actually agreed only to set up the reporter on camera with her response

21stamps

Does anyone know what happened to the guy on Fox News that said he was riding out the storm in his boat. I've been thinking about this guy ever since I heard that! All I could think is "poor unfortunate soul" hehe
But really ...

Same. It was said that @ 100 people chose to ride out the storm on a boat.. not sure if we'll ever know how many survived.

Although I agree to a certain degree this kind of reporting is done intentionally and is actually something that the Red Cross and FEMA enjoy.
Seeing buildings being destroyed is one thing but when you add a human face to it and the anguish it invokes people to be more concern and get involved.

This has been proven before and look at the response that Harvey and Irma is getting in regards to Texas and Florida. Meanwhile places like the carribean which got devastated is getting less coverage and donations are lower.

As for the video that was posted, it was made clear that the lady actually was asked before hand if she would speak for the camera and she actually agreed only to set up the reporter on camera with her response

Agree. Just 2 more examples- Haiti, and also the '05(?) Tsunami. The videos and media coverage were horrifying, and people responded with donations.

I worry about the Caribbean devastation as well as the Florida Keys.. as we've read here, people are over the effects of Irma.. they're back on their own immediate wants. Not saying this in a bad way, but it's unfortunate that as so many Americans are feeling this, and their attention is waning, the devastation is just now being found... the media wasn't showing it before.

Videos, Interviews, Photos.. these are what prompt people to help. If not, out of sight out of mind. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom