Trip Report So we went to Disney again... - an August/17 trip report

Intro

Hello again everyone, and welcome to the 2017 (part 1) Burnett family trip report. Hopefully you'll enjoy following us through another fun/crazy/childish humor filled trip report

If you want to see the pre-trip report :http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...riginal-title-so-you-get-this-instead.927386/

Or, if you don’t want to go to the PTR, a quick recap:

Who
Same group as all the other trips we've done in the past

There's Tammy and I
Tammy and I 2.png

and Steph and Liam
Kids.jpg

Actually, this picture may capture them better...
kids and Cooper.png

When

We were down at WDW from August 19th to the 28th

Where

Back when we were planning this trip, we asked Steph and Liam where they wanted to stay. Steph wanted Boardwalk, and Liam wanted Poly (we’re DVC btw). We decided to give them both what they wanted, and did a split stay. We spent the first 5 days at a garden/pool view room at the Boardwalk, and the last 4 days at a lake view room at the Poly.

Well…let’s get started

Countdown – everything up to August 18th

Where to start… We were pretty busy right up until we were on the plane to head to Florida. We did most of the packing for the trip in the few days before the 19th, and were really looking forward to getting away.

We took our cat Zoey over to my parent’s house on the 17th (my Dad loves cats and loves it when the cats get to stay over),
zoey.jpg

and our dog Cooper was picked up on the morning of the 18th to go to his daycare/overnight place.
Cooper.jpg

We’ll miss the animals.

We’re almost ready to go…

However, as I mentioned in the PTR, my Mom was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer back in May and I had been going with my Mom and Dad to all of her appointments (I was there to take notes and ask questions, as my parents are both 80 and tend to get things mixed up). The reason this plays into the trip report is because we found out during the first week of August that she was going to have surgery on August 18th.

So, after weeks and weeks of appointments, the 18th finally arrived. As you can imagine, it was a bit of a different day than what you normally expect on the day before a Disney trip. Yes, we were excited about the upcoming trip, but also anxious about Mom’s surgery (and also very well aware that if there were complications then the trip would be postponed).

Here's my Mom and I at the hospital waiting to get checked in
orca-image-1503053282994.jpg_1503053283107.jpeg

The good news is that everything went very well. Mom’s surgery was at 9am, and lasted about 2 hours. After a few hours in recovery we were able to see her. She was kind of groggy, but was doing well.

I brought my Dad back to our home after we saw her, so that he could take a nap (he didn’t sleep well the night before the surgery). He slept for about an hour and then headed back to the hospital.

At around 4ish we finished packing up the car, and then I drove Tammy and the kids down to the hospital to see my Mom. I was surprised at how well Mom was doing. She was wide awake and was already asking the Dr if she could just go home that day (I already though it was crazy that you only stay in less than 24 hours after a mastectomy). She is one tough lady. Everyone was happy to see her doing so well, and she kept telling us we should get going, so we did.

We jumped in the car and headed across the border to Buffalo. We made a few stops (Sam’s Club (picked up some more gift cards and some breakfast stuff), the hotel (the Sleep Inn by the airport), the airport (to weigh our bags so there would be no panicked repacking at the airport the next morning), and the Cracker Barrel (for dinner)). We were back in our room by around 9:30 and settled in for a few hours of sleep before our super early (3:15am) wake-up call.

see you tomorrow

Last edited:

Cetta

Just joined in on your adventure. Your past and present photos of your kiddos almost made me cry. My kids are only 1 and 3 but I know one day they are going to be all grown and my son won't want my hugs and kisses anymore. Makes me so sad! Enjoying your trip so far!

gwhb75

Original Poster
My family went on 6 trips when I was growing up (every 2-3 years), but after my sophomore year of high school (when I was 16) the trips stopped. My sister and I no longer had spring breaks that synced, and my family became pretty busy. That didn't stop my parents from going for a couple days a few years back (and not telling their children until after the trip), but that's neither here nor there.

Enjoy these trips with the whole family :) My family still talks about our trips, and the memories are pretty good ones.

We really do love our trips together (even if we drive each other crazy some times) which is why it's hard to think of a trip without Steph and Liam being there. However, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

gwhb75

Original Poster
If it helps at all, my family is planning a Disney vacation for 2019 and I'm 28 while my sisters are 23 and 20. We're going to try and do a cruise and then a few park days. Myself and my youngest sister are still super into Disney vacations (we're both going in January, she with my parents and I'm going on my honeymoon). The third one takes some convincing but she goes along.

Anyway, whole family trips are still possible! :)

Enjoying your trip report!

That's awesome. I hope the kids can/want to come with us for years to come

gwhb75

Original Poster
Just joined in on your adventure. Your past and present photos of your kiddos almost made me cry. My kids are only 1 and 3 but I know one day they are going to be all grown and my son won't want my hugs and kisses anymore. Makes me so sad! Enjoying your trip so far!

Enjoy them while they're young. I know people probably tell you that they grow up fast, but it really is true. I was looking at pictures from our first trip a few days ago, and it's crazy to think how fast thost 10 years have gone by. It seems like yesterday... Thanks for following along.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Hi Graham
We just finished up our 20 family trip to Disney
My daughters are 22 and 20
I have been saying " this might be the last one" for about 5 years

Never say never my friend
The pull and power of Disney makes you juggle schedules and make it happen

Loving the report

Max

That's awesome Max. Hope you had a great trip. I would love to think we'll travel together for years to come too.

gwhb75

Original Poster
Ahhh...we were at Epcot that same day!

Too bad about the waiter at Prime Time. Brook and I got a waitress like that back in Jan of 2016. I just don't get why they wouldn't play the part if there are KIDS at the table. Granted our kids are older, but come on! We said we'd probably never go back :(

It happens. We've had some great waiters/waitresses in the past, this was just an off night I guess. Not sure we're ready to write it off just yet.

prfctlyximprct

Just caught up! Loving your report so far! Disney with teenagers! Oh the horrorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Just kidding :)

They will appreciate these memories, give it time! I am cracking up so much at some points! The serious RnR picture is classic! LOL

gwhb75

Original Poster
Just caught up! Loving your report so far! Disney with teenagers! Oh the horrorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Just kidding :)

They will appreciate these memories, give it time! I am cracking up so much at some points! The serious RnR picture is classic! LOL

Oh we love having them with us, but they definitely have their moments...

djpoore94

Steph is a big Dr. Who fan. She actually bought the one shirt (the blue one she was wering on day 2) at EPCOT last year

I love to see young (especially young female) Doctor Who fans. I was late to the party, but after binge watching on Sundays for the last few months I'm ready to start the last season of the 12th Doctor. I also saw a shirt at Epcot when we visited in May and didn't buy it. I'm regretting that now, so I hope they still have it next month when we go back (I couldn't find it on the app)!

gwhb75

Original Poster
I love to see young (especially young female) Doctor Who fans. I was late to the party, but after binge watching on Sundays for the last few months I'm ready to start the last season of the 12th Doctor. I also saw a shirt at Epcot when we visited in May and didn't buy it. I'm regretting that now, so I hope they still have it next month when we go back (I couldn't find it on the app)!

My kids tell me they still have Dr. Who shirts at EPCOT (at least they did when we were there)

gwhb75

Original Poster
Idk...it just rubbed me the wrong way...our previous 2 experiences were AMAZING tho!

I get where you're coming from. If you're not getting the full experience, then there are cheaper places to get fried chicken and meatloaf. I may be willing to give it one more chance in the future, based on all the other experiences we've had there.

djpoore94

Good to know, thanks! Keeping my fingers crossed they have the one that I passed on last time! I've ordered Doctor Who, Star Wars, Harry Potter mash up tees for DH & I to wear, probably on HS day!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom