CMs going over the top or just having off days

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
When I went on my one day trip back in August, one of the rides/shows/attractions that I had to get in was the Tiki Room.

Pre-show was great as usual, but when we got inside and the CM started to do his announcements...he was soooo loud on the speaker phone that a lot of us were holding our ears! It was like 'dude, you are on a speaker phone. We can already hear you.' He actually made a baby cry in the front row. :(

Nothing against CMs. I know you guys work hard, and I get it that we don't have good days at work, but not sure if that was called for. I mean he was literally shouting through the speaker phone as loud as he could.

Anyone else have a CM experience that was just a little off-putting?

Last edited:

Driver

When I went on my one day trip back in August, one of the rides/shows/attractions that I had to get in was the Tiki Room.

Pre-show was great as usual, but when we got inside and the CM started to do his announcements...he was soooo loud on the speaker phone that a lot of us were holding our ears! It was like 'dude, you are on a speaker phone. We can already hear you.' He actually made a baby cry in the front row. :(

Nothing against CMs. I know you guys work hard, and I get it that we don't have good days at work, but not sure if that was called for. I mean he was literally shouting through the speaker phone as loud as he could.

Sorry about that he could be a newbie:(

mickeyfan5534

I imagine either someone new or just having a very rough day. Working at any theme park or resort is insanely difficult as any cast member can tell you and it gets to you sometimes. I most certainly admit it's gotten to me some days.

JIMINYCR

It may not have because he was having a bad day. Sometimes people dont realize just how loud they are being when using equipment and sometimes when there are a lot of guests gathered in an area and they are being noisy before a show starts the CM's feel like they have to increase their volume to get heard. Or the CM may have begun speaking not realizing the volume had been turned up before he started the speil. Ive also experienced CMs being louder mostly when its a buzy time and the pressure is on. Some people do get more anxious when they are under pressure.

Hockey89

That or he just didn't know how loud he was....

Castle Cake Apologist

I'd say it's probably a combination of the Cast Member not knowing how loud he is and the general outdated nature of most of the WDW PA systems.

You haven't given any indication that he was rude or otherwise appeared to be having a bad day, so I'm not sure why you would assume it's that?

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I'd say it's probably a combination of the Cast Member not knowing how loud he is and the general outdated nature of most of the WDW PA systems.

You haven't given any indication that he was rude or otherwise appeared to be having a bad day, so I'm not sure why you would assume it's that?
Meh, sometimes people just have a bad day but are able to wear a good smile to cover it up and act up otherwise. (I know too many people like this; probably where my assumption comes from) But, I think you are right that he just didn't realize how loud he was.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
If a loud CM was the worst part of your day, I'd say you have nothing to complain about. I'm betting on old equipment with outdated volume adjustments.
Now I didn't say it was the worst part of my day ;) , but yeah. I think it was that he didn't realize how loud he was being thanks to old equipment issues.

Just curious, how old are the PA systems in the Tiki Room? Anyone know?

Castle Cake Apologist

Now I didn't say it was the worst part of my day ;) , but yeah. I think it was that he didn't realize how loud he was being thanks to old equipment issues.

Just curious, how old are the PA systems in the Tiki Room? Anyone know?

Knowing most of the PA systems in the older attractions, it's probably right around 46 years old. Not sure if the system was upgraded for Under New Management or the switch back to the classic show, but I'd wager it wasn't based on the sound quality lol.

Last edited:

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Must have been devastating.
the-golden-girls-the-golden-girls-36973640-500-300.gif

Jedi Stitch

The great movie ride was a great example of over the top or bad days by CM's. Our first time we had a young woman CM who was just having a great time being our guide, and the cowboy was fun. The second time we did it, the guy we had was just going thru the motions, very lackluster, and the woman gangster, was having a good time, but the guy got back on and was just, Meh. I also remember the year Splash Mountain debuted, and riding the Columbia. The captain and the first mate kept making jokes everything over there is called Bier something. To mix things up when they called out the nautical parts of the ship they started with Brier. Great bit of fun when done right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom