Changing travel dates

Disneynewbee

I've read all the information I have from my Disney travel agent but it's unclear.

We're supposed to be going to Disney on Sept 22 which puts us outside of the huricane policy. We are driving down from Canada along I-75 and we're a little concerned about traffic with rescue efforts heading to Florida.

I've read some things about loosing the $200 deposit if cancelling and costing an additional $50 if we change plans 30 days or less from date of travel. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
I would not make a rash decision yet. Personally think You will be fine no need to cancel reservation. (I know this does not answer your question) That is a week and a half away. Most will be running as normal even outside of WDW by then. (I personally have been through worse hurricanes and things in a week mostly were up and running road wise etc) Upper half of Florida was not hit hard (southern was a little worse but still not something to affect highways and traveling by 9/22) so highways and gas situation should be fine by then. Keep your vacation. I have friends arriving this Wednesday and Also did not cancel that are driving in. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Disneynewbee

Original Poster
I would not make a rash decision yet. Personally think You will be fine no need to cancel reservation. (I know this does not answer your question) That is a week and a half away. Most will be running as normal even outside of WDW by then. (I personally have been through worse hurricanes and things in a week mostly were up and running road wise etc) Upper half of Florida was not hit hard (southern was a little worse but still not something to affect highways and traveling by 9/22) so highways and gas situation should be fine by then. Keep your vacation. I have friends arriving this Wednesday and Also did not cancel that are driving in. ;)

That's great to know Thanks for the input! How quickly does Disney usually clean up from something like this? My travel agent is getting bombarded by calls and thus I'm not really getting any straight answers. We've never been there before so we have no idea what to expect and my kids are super pumped so we're hoping for the best. I'm just hoping everything is up and running as usual.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

That's great to know Thanks for the input! How quickly does Disney usually clean up from something like this? My travel agent is getting bombarded by calls and thus I'm not really getting any straight answers. We've never been there before so we have no idea what to expect and my kids are super pumped so we're hoping for the best. I'm just hoping everything is up and running as usual.

You are so very welcome! Disney is opening all parks back up tomorrow. Business as usual. There was some trees down, lots of branches and leaves, winds pushed in some rain water causing minimal seepage in some areas, but all Should be cleaned up shortly. Clean up mostly was finished today but may have a few more days of clean up but most is all clear. Also any roadways or highways after storms (unless flooded over which there is none of that on the highways you gotta take down) are cleared of debris very fast. They clear major roadways first then move onto smaller rural roads. :)

Upvote 0

Nj4mwc

I'm in a similar situation, driving down I95 from DC this Friday. Staying at universal until Monday then checking into all star movies Monday, I'm not so concerned about the parks and resorts but the safety and roads getting down there particularly through south Carolina , Georgia and especially95 through Jacksonville. I could head over to I75 from D.C. And add like 5 hours and know that it's prob the better road but I figure by Friday 95 should be cleared as it's a pretty major roadway

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

I'm in a similar situation, driving down I95 from DC this Friday. Staying at universal until Monday then checking into all star movies Monday, I'm not so concerned about the parks and resorts but the safety and roads getting down there particularly through south Carolina , Georgia and especially95 through Jacksonville. I could head over to I75 from D.C. And add like 5 hours and know that it's prob the better road but I figure by Friday 95 should be cleared as it's a pretty major roadway

All the major roadways as I pointed out are likely already cleared as of today. Those get cleared first. Maybe some left today. But by Friday that shouldn't be an issue. I think you and the OP Will be just fine. If there is anything major it would be announced to avoid it already, but even then there usually is a detour made to follow. :)

Upvote 0

Tom 55

I was at Disney world in 2004 when hurricane Jean came threw. The park closed early the night before Jean hit. We had to stay at our resort Port Orleans Riverside for the day of the storm. The track was to the west of Orlando. All I saw was rain and winds.Winds were ripping all the leaves off the trees. Disney has a crew that stays in the parks during the storm. So they can start cleaning up as soon as it is safe to go out. The next day the parks opened on time. You could see here and there that a tree was knocked down and was already removed. Leaving little evidence of the damage. Disney also has its own power plant and all utilities are underground. Disney is were local residents go when there is a hurricane coming. IT is built to withstand storms. Disney has a very large workforce and they can remove and fix any damage within a few days. Already there is talk that the things that are still closed due to storm damage will be back in operation by the 17th. Airport is open and plans to be fully operational in 2 more days. I remember that Hurricane Jean continued up the east coast. So 2 days after it hit Orlando we flew to Atlanta and were in the rains from Jean. Them when we got back home to NH the last remains of the storm dropped rain on us there.

Upvote 0

Omi19

We were under mandatory evacuation and drove back home yesterday afternoon, I-95 to I-4, past WDW exits and had absolutely no problem whatsoever. Everything cleared and traffic moving as usual. I-75 is very close to where we live and no concerns have been reported here either. You should be just fine. (Hurricane Charley, in 2004, made first landfall right up our canal as a strong category 4 and we managed well then too.) Enjoy your visit.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom