Trip Report Meet the Floridians

Hello humans! :joyfull:

Most of you know me by now, but for those of you who haven't followed my past TR's (particularly my most recent), I'll do some brief introductions. :) Feel free to check out my past reports (in my signature) if you'd like!

Who: I'm Brittany! I'm 25 and completely Disney obsessed. My better half is Dylan, also 25 and not quite as Disney obsessed. :rolleyes: Prior to meeting me, he had never been to WDW! :eek: It was obviously top priority to remedy that. ;)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5393.jpg

This is our baby, Tink. She also loves Disney. :rolleyes:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_53e7.jpg

We got engaged in Magic Kingdom in June.. my dream come true! :inlove: Though our wedding won't take place in Disney, it will be Disney themed. ;)
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5397.jpg

While we were enjoying our time in the World, I accepted a 1st grade teaching position in Osceola County, Florida. Fast forward a month, and we packed up a U-Haul to relocate from Pennsylvania to the Sunshine State! :cool:
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_53ec.jpg

We currently live 20 minutes from Disney property, and one of our first purchases should come as no surprise. ;) This report will be a collection of our adventures as annual passholders, and I'll update it with a Table of Contents as we go. Now, without further ado...

To all who come to this happy place, welcome! :joyfull:

blreinsel

Original Poster
Hi all! Sorry to keep you all waiting. As @Figment Forever said, Dylan and I are in TN staying at my brother's. :) School is cancelled until Wednesday (as of now) so we haven't officially decided when we're going to start making the trip back.. It'll really depend on how hard we get hit and at what time.

School was also cancelled on Friday, so that allowed us to get a head start on traffic and leave on Thursday right after I got home from school. The trip is usually about 10 hours, but traffic was so horrendous that it took us exactly 24 hours (down to the minute). We stopped at a rest stop and slept for 5 hours in the car because there were literally ZERO hotel rooms available anywhere. We brought important papers with us and packed up everything else "important" in plastic containers and stored them in the closet, which of course has no windows, with doors shut tight! We made sure everything was moved away from the windows and put as much up off of the floor as possible. Our apartment is on the second floor, so that will hopefully help us in case of flooding.

Thank you all for your continued thoughts and prayers! I'll keep you posted as best as I can! :)

Last edited:

Songbird76

Hi all! Sorry to keep you all waiting. As @Figment Forever said, Dylan and I are in TN staying at my brother's. :) School is cancelled until Wednesday (as of now) so we haven't officially decided when we're going to start making the trip back.. It'll really depend on how hard we get hit and at what time.

School was also cancelled on Friday, so that allowed us to get a head start on traffic and leave on Thursday right after I got home from school. The trip is usually about 10 hours, but traffic was so horrendous that it took us exactly 24 hours (down to the minute). We stopped at a rest stop and slept for 5 hours in the car because there were literally ZERO hotel rooms available anywhere. We brought important papers with us and packed up everything else "important" in plastic containers and stored them in the closet, which of course has no windows, with doors shut tight! We made sure everything was moved away from the windows and put as much up off of the floor as possible. Our apartment is on the second floor, so that will hopefully help us in cause of flooding.

Thank you all for your continued thoughts and prayers! I'll keep you posted as best as I can! :)
I read on facebook that some people keep photos and important documents in the dishwasher during hurricanes, because it is waterproof. Something to think about for next time. Glad you are safe! Thanks for letting us know. Some of my friends live in Kissimmee and they left Thursday or Friday and ended up sleeping in a Walmart parking lot the first night because there were no hotels, and I guess they could only go 15 mph on the interstate because there was so much traffic. Sounds pretty crazy!!

12in12

You are safe and that is the most important thing. Nevertheless I hope your apartment didn't sustain any damage and you will soon be home and visiting WDW again. Looking forward to all your Food and Wine posts.

blreinsel

Original Poster
I read on facebook that some people keep photos and important documents in the dishwasher during hurricanes, because it is waterproof. Something to think about for next time. Glad you are safe! Thanks for letting us know. Some of my friends live in Kissimmee and they left Thursday or Friday and ended up sleeping in a Walmart parking lot the first night because there were no hotels, and I guess they could only go 15 mph on the interstate because there was so much traffic. Sounds pretty crazy!!

I saw that too.. we had the dishwasher cleaned and dried out to use it for storage, but ended up not needing it. I didn't feel comfortable leaving our documents there just in case of the worst (smashed in windows, looters, etc.)

You are safe and that is the most important thing. Nevertheless I hope your apartment didn't sustain any damage and you will soon be home and visiting WDW again. Looking forward to all your Food and Wine posts.

You are so right! We probably would have been okay to stay, but I don't regret our decision to leave. This gives us a better idea for next time and we'll be able to truly gauge the situation and make a decision about whether or not we need to leave. We averaged about 45mph on the trip here, sometimes going faster and sometimes going slower. We're trying to avoid highways on the way home in hopes of making the trip go a little quicker.

Can't wait to get back and to get some F&W goodies in my belly! :p

djpoore94

I saw that too.. we had the dishwasher cleaned and dried out to use it for storage, but ended up not needing it. I didn't feel comfortable leaving our documents there just in case of the worst (smashed in windows, looters, etc.)

So glad you are safe! My friend had to make a panicked last minute evacuation on Saturday from the Tampa area after the storm shifted course Friday night. Not easy with her collage age son and three Husky dogs in tow!

Good decision on not using the dishwasher! http://www.snopes.com/dishwasher-hurricane/

blreinsel

Original Poster
So glad you are safe! My friend had to make a panicked last minute evacuation on Saturday from the Tampa area after the storm shifted course Friday night. Not easy with her collage age son and three Husky dogs in tow!

Good decision on not using the dishwasher! http://www.snopes.com/dishwasher-hurricane/

Yikes! Good to know! As far as I've heard, things in our complex are good. Very minimal damage and I don't believe really any flooding.

blreinsel

Original Poster

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom