Hong Kong Disneyland 2nd Gate Ideas

LKRANDOM

Original Poster
As some may know Hong Kong Disneyland has space for a Phase 2 a 2nd Gate if you will,however there has been little discussion or ideas for the next park. Only when it will open,and today I want to start a discussion about this 2nd gate in Hong Kong Disneyland. So comment below please

NiarrNDisney

IMHO I dont think we will ever see Animal Kingdom, Epcot, or Sea ever reproduced so if and when a 2nd gate is built in Hong Kong I'm thinking it will be something along the lines of Hollywood/Walt Disney Studios (Paris) or California Adventure under a different moniker.

RandySavage

^On the downside, I don't expect to see a singular, unique Vision (such as EPCOT Center or Animal Kingdom) that isn't designed specifically to distribute the company's film IP.

On the upside, I think the Company knows that the Studios Park concept (featuring soundstages and Behind the Scenes tours along with movie-based rides) is no longer really viable, with DHS and eventually WDSP getting their franchise lands.

The HK site itself is begging for something that takes advantage of the haborside location, just like Tokyo DisneySea does. And DisneySea, like Magic Kingdom, allows a lot of freedom for IP integration.

For originality's sake I think there is a solid possibility for a Sea park with unique name and different line-up than TDS.

For contents, consider the current, well-developed properties that don't yet have a presence in the expanded HKDL, notably:
-Pirates
-Indiana Jones
-Star Wars

I also think Disney will look more to emerging markets China and India with their future film/park content.

I've drawn a few 2nd Gate plans like the one above for HK and maybe it's time to re-think that site again...

No Name

Wait wait, @RandySavage is SW Wlison? I have been worshipping the work of someone who is a member of the WDWMAGIC forums?

Say it isn't so!

Anyhow, if the park were built today, I imagine it'd unfortunately be little more than an Islands of Adventure (or Universal Studios) complete mishmash of lands with no relation or overarching theme. I don't think a two-park resort would suffer from that, especially if it helps preserve the theme of the original park, but ideally they'd do something stronger.

Robbiem

I agree the location just cries out for a Disneysea style nautical park, although I suspect with more IPs than in Tokyo. With different themes it could be a really unique park which would encourage more people to visthong Kong. I'd really Like to hope that the development of both Chinese resorts was planned to avoid duplication and give people reason to visit both but with toy story land going to shanghai I doubt this is the case.

On a related issue I really hope they build a downtown style area at Hong Kong Disneyland as well

GiveMeTheMusic

A second gate for HKDL has already been proposed, and was tabled in favor of the current park expansions. Which is probably wise - HKDL needs to be beefier before a second gate is built, and honestly, I'm not sure they're close to needing one since HKDL struggles as is.

Of course, the concept proposed was essentially an IP collection, because that's all Disney knows how to do now.

BrianLo

I agree, there was a brief point in time HK looked ready to move towards a 2nd gate, but there is still room to improve. I'm glad they are not replaying the Eisner era mistake of aggressively expanding and thinking the original piece will just somehow survive, while being completely ignored. If attendance picks up, the next round should get HKDL to a place that is reasonably attraction dense.

The other piece is a downtown Disney concept. I think their best course of action is to start with a very, very, very small initial take on it. With the third gate. As in maybe Starbucks, a world of Disney type store and a singular signature restaurant. They need to very cautiously only do what works for HK, even at the best of times attendance has never looked robust like Paris or Shanghai.

Best case scenario we get for the next park is Adventure. Like @RandySavage said that doesn't likely mean AK or TDS, but also doesn't include trying to build over the bones of semi-failed concepts like DCA 1.0 or MGM/DHS.

I don't mind it if it means inherently well designed individual lands, even IP driven. Maybe someone can sneak in a S.E.A. based attraction in the best of worlds.

Unlike some other people, I don't inherently hate the IOA concept. I think Disney's take on IOA would be a worthy park.

wanna share some of my ideas on future Gate 1 expansion after reading this thread lol

[JUST IMAGINING . NOT TRUE . NOT OFFICIAL]

New Winnie The Pooh-themed land next to Grizzly Gulch
The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh has always been one of the most popular rides in HKDL. So I'm thinking maybe we can utilise its fame to attract more people to visit the least accessible region of the Park (the land below GG is like a dead end, with only an one-way road). The land should consists of two rides, one dark ride and one water ride. The dark ride will be exactly identical to Tokyo's Pooh's Hunny Hunt. I notice that PHH lacks the Rainy Day scene, so maybe we can make use of the Rainy Day scene to build a Splash Mountain-type water ride (which HKDL desperately needs one) next to PHH. The two rides together tell the full story of Winnie the Pooh.

New Fantasyland Dark Rides
HKDL's Fantasyland is notorious for lacking classic Disney dark rides. After the completion of the Winnie The Pooh-themed land, the original location of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh can be utilised to build Peter Pan's Flight. Fantasy Gardens should also be demolished to provide land to build an Alice In Wonderland dark ride (which forms an Alice mini-land along with Teacups).

New Adventureland Ride
HKDL's Adventureland is large and detailed, but it has literally no rides (only having Tarzan's Treehouse, Jungle River Cruise and Festival of the Lion King). Building a new Moana show is good, but that's not enough. In fact, Adventureland is so not popular that the two restaurants are often closed. So perhaps we should demolish one of them to give way to rides instead. I'm suggesting that HKDL should demolish Tahitian Terrace and Professor Porters Trading Post and make use of the land to build either Soaring or an Indian Jones dark ride. The latter is preferred because (1) we should build rides that SHDL does not have to maintain uniqueness and (2) we lack dark rides so badly.

New Floats for Paint the Night Parade
California's version has been continuously adding new floats while HK's version has literally no additions since its debut in 2014. In fact, we even lose the show stop. I understand the cancellation of show stop is due to poor sales and response of that interactive Paint Brush. So I'm not requesting the Park to reintroduce the show stop back. I just want new floats (crying and begging lol). It will be a perfect chance to add a new Frozen float when Arendelle opens in 2020. The magic glowing hair of Rapunzel makes Tangled a great theme for a night parade float. I'm not greedy, adding just 2 floats can make me feel pleased. =P

Return of Stitch and Space Mountain
IMO the Star Wars overlay of Tomorrowland is not that well-received in Hong Kong. There were always lines for Stitch Encounter in the past but its substitute Star Wars Meet'N'Greet is always a walk-in. So Stitch should return to better fit our guests' taste. IMO the new Hyperspace Mountain is not as visually appealing as the original Space Mountain. So I would like to have the old one back. After visiting SHDL, I was totally amazed by their TRON Coaster. The queuing area is SO nicely done. If they're reintroducing Space Mountain to HKDL, please redesign the queue area to make it more modern and futuristic.

New Floats for Flights of Fantasy Parade / New Daytime Parade
I know it's about time to change the daytime parade. But due to nostalgia I really don't want FoF to leave. Maybe freshness can be maintained by adding new floats (?). Perhaps adding an Up-themed float and Hercules-themed float can help match the 'flying' theme of the parade (?).

IMO they should complete the second gate by 2030. They can release the above between 2025-2029 to maintain the attractiveness of the Resort before the second gate is done. By the time the second park is done, a fourth hotel and the Downtown Disney shopping and dinning area should also be completed to make the Resort more 'multi-day'.

[END OF IMAGINATION]

DLR92

wanna share some of my ideas on future Gate 1 expansion after reading this thread lol

[JUST IMAGINING . NOT TRUE . NOT OFFICIAL]

New Winnie The Pooh-themed land next to Grizzly Gulch
The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh has always been one of the most popular rides in HKDL. So I'm thinking maybe we can utilise its fame to attract more people to visit the least accessible region of the Park (the land below GG is like a dead end, with only an one-way road). The land should consists of two rides, one dark ride and one water ride. The dark ride will be exactly identical to Tokyo's Pooh's Hunny Hunt. I notice that PHH lacks the Rainy Day scene, so maybe we can make use of the Rainy Day scene to build a Splash Mountain-type water ride (which HKDL desperately needs one) next to PHH. The two rides together tell the full story of Winnie the Pooh.

New Fantasyland Dark Rides
HKDL's Fantasyland is notorious for lacking classic Disney dark rides. After the completion of the Winnie The Pooh-themed land, the original location of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh can be utilised to build Peter Pan's Flight. Fantasy Gardens should also be demolished to provide land to build an Alice In Wonderland dark ride (which forms an Alice mini-land along with Teacups).

New Adventureland Ride
HKDL's Adventureland is large and detailed, but it has literally no rides (only having Tarzan's Treehouse, Jungle River Cruise and Festival of the Lion King). Building a new Moana show is good, but that's not enough. In fact, Adventureland is so not popular that the two restaurants are often closed. So perhaps we should demolish one of them to give way to rides instead. I'm suggesting that HKDL should demolish Tahitian Terrace and Professor Porters Trading Post and make use of the land to build either Soaring or an Indian Jones dark ride. The latter is preferred because (1) we should build rides that SHDL does not have to maintain uniqueness and (2) we lack dark rides so badly.

New Floats for Paint the Night Parade
California's version has been continuously adding new floats while HK's version has literally no additions since its debut in 2014. In fact, we even lose the show stop. I understand the cancellation of show stop is due to poor sales and response of that interactive Paint Brush. So I'm not requesting the Park to reintroduce the show stop back. I just want new floats (crying and begging lol). It will be a perfect chance to add a new Frozen float when Arendelle opens in 2020. The magic glowing hair of Rapunzel makes Tangled a great theme for a night parade float. I'm not greedy, adding just 2 floats can make me feel pleased. =P

Return of Stitch and Space Mountain
IMO the Star Wars overlay of Tomorrowland is not that well-received in Hong Kong. There were always lines for Stitch Encounter in the past but its substitute Star Wars Meet'N'Greet is always a walk-in. So Stitch should return to better fit our guests' taste. IMO the new Hyperspace Mountain is not as visually appealing as the original Space Mountain. So I would like to have the old one back. After visiting SHDL, I was totally amazed by their TRON Coaster. The queuing area is SO nicely done. If they're reintroducing Space Mountain to HKDL, please redesign the queue area to make it more modern and futuristic.

New Floats for Flights of Fantasy Parade / New Daytime Parade
I know it's about time to change the daytime parade. But due to nostalgia I really don't want FoF to leave. Maybe freshness can be maintained by adding new floats (?). Perhaps adding an Up-themed float and Hercules-themed float can help match the 'flying' theme of the parade (?).

IMO they should complete the second gate by 2030. They can release the above between 2025-2029 to maintain the attractiveness of the Resort before the second gate is done. By the time the second park is done, a fourth hotel and the Downtown Disney shopping and dinning area should also be completed to make the Resort more 'multi-day'.

[END OF IMAGINATION]

Great ideas, I think Splash Mountain style theme to Winnie The Pooh and a better Winnie the Pooh dark ride would be excellent!

Disneylover152

I might have mentioned this before, but they can build a park called "The Mysterious Forest", which is HKs version of Disney Sea, relying on stories that fit in the forest. It can have a land themed to an Asian forest (Mulan), The Amazon (UP, Indiana Jones), Prehistoric Forest (Good Dinosaur), Grizzly Peak National Forest, African Rainforest (Tarzan, Lion King), Enchanted Forest (Snow White, Second Fantasyland), and the Villains Forest (Villains). Just an Idea.

For the Second Gate, is it possible to build a Hollywood-themed park again?
In this case, we may utilise this opportunity to re-introduce demolished rides and shows back into the Park.

[ NOT TRUE . NOT OFFICAL . JUST IMAGINING ]

Hollywood Boulevard
- architecturally almost identical to its counterpart in Florida
- the street connecting the Park's entrance and the centerpiece will consist of shops and restaurants
- the centerpiece would also be the Grauman's Chinese Theatre, housing the same
(1) Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
- Beauty and the Beast - Live On Stage will be replaced by an updated version of (2) Golden Mickeys ('resurrecting' the HKDL stage show which closed in 2015)
- (3) The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror will still be present to provide a great thrill ride for the Park

Pirate Coast
- located behind Hollywood Boulevard
- 'resurrecting' the cancelled HKDL expansion plan back in 2006
- housing 2 rides, one (4) Splash-Mountain-type water ride and one (5) Haunted-Mansion-type dark ride, both themed to Pirates of the Caribbean
- the lake/sea will be the venue for (6) Fantasmic! at night

Atlantica
- located behind Pirate Coast
- themed to The Little Mermaid
- contains most of the Park's kids flat rides: (7) Jumping Jellyfish, (8) Under The Sea Carousel and (9) Blowfish Balloon Race
- housing 2 E-tickets, (10) The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure ('resurrecting' a planned attraction before HKDL construction works began) and one (11) roller-coaster based on the segment where Ariel and Founder are being chased after by a shark in a sunken ship

PIXAR Studios
- located on the right of Hollywood Boulevard, Pirate Coast and Atlantic
- largest themed land of the Park
- consists of one indoor section (exterior looking like the official PIXAR Animation Studios in the States) and one outdoor section (a mini-version of Cars Land)
- the indoor section will contain (12) Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters ('resurrecting' the HKDL dark ride which closed in 2017), (13) Turtle Talk with Crush (act as a replacement of HKDL's Stitch Encounter, which closed in 2016), an (14) Inside Out-themed dark ride and one (15) Monsters Inc. door-factory-themed roller coaster ride
- the outdoor section will contain (16) Radiator Springs Racers (act as a replacement of HKDL's Autopia, which closed in 2016) and (17) Mater's Junkyard Jamboree

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
- located on the top right-hand corner of PIXAR Studios (the remaining land to the lower right of PS will be for future expansion use)
- highly similar to its counterparts in California and Florida
- after the opening of this land, Hyperspace Mountain in HKDL can be reimagined back into the original Space Mountain

IMO a park with 17+ rides and entertainment (excl. Star Wars Land since I'm not sure how many rides it will have) is definitely enough for HK. A park in such scale is not likely to repeat HKDL's tragic response back in 2005. Anyways, please let me know what do you think about my ideas. :)

[ NOT TRUE . NOT OFFICAL . JUST IMAGINING ]

RandySavage

I might have mentioned this before, but they can build a park called "The Mysterious Forest", which is HKs version of Disney Sea, relying on stories that fit in the forest. It can have a land themed to an Asian forest (Mulan), The Amazon (UP, Indiana Jones), Prehistoric Forest (Good Dinosaur), Grizzly Peak National Forest, African Rainforest (Tarzan, Lion King), Enchanted Forest (Snow White, Second Fantasyland), and the Villains Forest (Villains). Just an Idea.

You're probably aware, but the great John Horne(actually a y) (former SVP Concept Design at WDI) worked on a forest-themed Disney park for Asia
51a707590981b77f218edc367e00f5ea.jpg

shapeimage_29.png

shapeimage_39.png

shapeimage_43.png

And on the HK-Hornee connection: an imagineer's (as opposed to an architect's) vision of an adventure-themed hotel:
shapeimage_3.png

Disneylover152

You're probably aware, but the great John Horne(actually a y) (former SVP Concept Design at WDI) worked on a forest-themed Disney park for Asia
51a707590981b77f218edc367e00f5ea.jpg

shapeimage_29.png

shapeimage_39.png

shapeimage_43.png

And on the HK-Hornee connection: an imagineer's (as opposed to an architect's) vision of an adventure-themed hotel:
shapeimage_3.png

Actually, I wasn't aware, but it seems cool!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom