Hurricane Irma

JohnD

Original Poster
Just cancelled our trip to FLL on the 15th. Even if they don't get hammered, I feel like all of Southern Florida is going to be in repair mode for the next few weeks and will need all resources going towards helping people who live there. Don't want to get in the way, and better safe than sorry. They'll get my money next year to help with rebuilding.

I haven't done that yet. 5 days out for my trip starting 9/16 is 9/12. I'll decide then.

Alice a

If anyone needs it, I just cancelled my reservation at the days inn Greenville SC for tomorrow night. I also have a reservation there for the following 2 nights (Monday and Tuesday) I will be cancelling tomorrow if the storm stays on track. It is a pet friendly hotel with free breakfast and interior corridors. And here's the thing- it was booked at daysinn.com direct, so it doesn't appear on travel sites. Good luck for anyone who needs it!

21stamps

Just cancelled our trip to FLL on the 15th. Even if they don't get hammered, I feel like all of Southern Florida is going to be in repair mode for the next few weeks and will need all resources going towards helping people who live there. Don't want to get in the way, and better safe than sorry. They'll get my money next year to help with rebuilding.

Sorry :(. I do think you made the best decision. Maybe you can go back sooner than expected :)

cosmicgirl

Southernmost point, casa marina, Mallory square, Duval st in KW.
Any other cams in mid and upper Keys.

Southernmost point and many others were up this morning but seem to be down now. Too much traffic maybe? I haven't spotted a backup. I can only get the ones on youtube to work:
Duval here.
Sloppy Joe's here.
Mallory Square one & two.
Front St (roof of Two Friends) here.
Southernmost at the Beach resort: pool one & two, and deck. The deck is already getting hit.
The Marker, including port views here.
Sunrise Suites Resort airport view here.
Marathon here.

That's what I've found on youtube. Others may have reached their hosting limits.

In other news, Bioreconstruct has a lot of updates on Twitter about the hurricane prep at both WDW and Universal. I was not expecting the helicopter shots this weekend!

And TheTimTracker posted a hurricane prep at WDW video here.

21stamps

Southernmost point and many others were up this morning but seems to be down now. Too much traffic maybe? I haven't spotted a backup. I can only get the ones on youtube to work:
Duval here.
Sloppy Joe's here.
Mallory Square one & two.
Front St (roof of Two Friends) here.
Southernmost at the Beach resort: pool one & two, and deck. The deck is already getting hit.
The Marker, including port views here.
Sunrise Suites Resort airport view here.
Marathon here.

That's what I've found on youtube. Others may have reached their hosting limits.

In other news, Bioreconstruct has a lot of updates on Twitter about the hurricane prep at both WDW and Universal. I was not expecting the helicopter shots this weekend!

And TheTimTracker posted a hurricane prep at WDW video here.

Thank you!!!

21stamps

Southernmost Point is working.
Here comes the water.

I'm so curious about Islamorada. It's one of the most narrow Keys.

IMG_4056.jpg
IMG_4053.jpg

Sans Souci

Yep, directly from American Airlines. I'm checking other airlines at the moment to see if there are any leaving, and at the moment, Frontier still has one leaving Tuesday night. All others have been cancelled.

Now, Southwest says that all of their flights are still going, but they're all sold out, so I don't know if that means they're cancelled or not.

I had SWA cancel my Tuesday flight this morning. I was supposed to fly in tonight, but I rebooked for the 12th.

cosmicgirl

The latest Euro model is in, as well as a new NHC update. It's looking slightly better for Naples, but worse for Fort Myers and Tampa Bay.
Still a cat 3:
2:00 PM EDT Sat Sep 9
Moving: W at 9 mph
Min pressure: 941 mb
Max sustained: 125 mph
154304_5day_cone_with_line_and_wind.png

21stamps

This is in Marathon right now. Lifts or not, having a boat in this location is a horrible idea. I'd rather have a damaged lift than a wrecked boat and damaged lift.

Anyway.. there's still almost a day until this storm hits with her greatest force. So sad.

IMG_4058.jpg

ToyStoryMiss

I had SWA cancel my Tuesday flight this morning. I was supposed to fly in tonight, but I rebooked for the 12th.
I found a Frontier flight going to Orlando on Tuesday, said it's supposed to be there by 2:40pm. Think we might rebook it to this.

EDIT: The flight is booked! It was the only flight from Frontier going to Orlando that day.

Last edited:

cosmicgirl

This is in Marathon right now. Lifts or not, having a boat in this location is a horrible idea. I'd rather have a damaged lift than a wrecked boat and damaged lift.

Anyway.. there's still almost a day until this storm hits with her greatest force. So sad.

View attachment 227918

Many many more boats in the KW port... you can see them on the Marker live feed. Even the Sebago catamarans are still there.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was leaving Epcot as it was closing for Matthew.

Anything that is not permanently attached to an anchor point, such as booths or trashcans are covered in shutters, canvas, or plastic wrap. If it can be moved indoors, it is. If not, it is moved to be next to a wall or overhang, otherwise, it stays where it is (as most F&W kiosks will be). A bunch of trashcans may be plastic wrapped into one big pallet. Then things are tied or chained down to anchors in the walkway or to something that is, such as a railing or light post.

Simply, they don't want anything flying in the wind. And if there are things flying in the wind, they want to minimize damage when it impacts (that's why they plastic wrap light fixtures).

21stamps

Many many more boats in the KW port... you can see them on the Marker live feed. Even the Sebago catamarans are still there.

Have you seen any views on Schooner's Wharf or even west of Mallory Square? I'm extremely curious about the boat graveyard near Christmas Tree Island.. so many people live on boats out there. Most of the boats don't run, some do run fine, but the owners don't want to pay for dock space so they kayak to KW. I just can't imagine that those were all moved.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom