deleted

YodaMan

Do the tree of life awakenings ruin the tree of life? If done correctly and discreetly you could up the ambience imo. Projected lightning effects bleeding out of the elevators or signage every 5 or so minutes would be cool.

^this. It doesn't have to be tacky. It could be used for something cool like the occasional projected lightning strike. Or they could have a dark ominous shadow pass over the building.

Goofyernmost

Agreed. Actual Christmas lights > projection show.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see them adding more holiday entertainment. But, this isn't a true replacement for the lights.
Not a popular opinion, but, there were too many lights in the Osborne light show. It was just a blur. It's not all that creative to just, literally, cover every square inch of a building with strings of light. I liked it OK, but, once and done did it for me.

RSoxNo1

The constant use of "projections" everywhere seems like it's really starting to water things down...
I said it last year and I'll say it again. The projection mapping is a great effect, but they have certainly fell in love with it. I think they're nearing the point of saturation and there's much more of this already in development.

Casper Gutman

I said it last year and I'll say it again. The projection mapping is a great effect, but they have certainly fell in love with it. I think they're nearing the point of saturation and there's much more of this already in development.
Projection mapping is like screens in rides - it should be a tool used to create and deepen an overall effect, not the entire attraction unto themselves. They're accents, embellishments. My favorite use of projection mapping remains Uni's use of them to make New York seem to be decaying and crumbling during HHN. It's a great, atmospheric element. The suggestions above about how to make ToT spookier would also be great.

I have to believe projection shows and screen rides have a very limited shelf life - they'll get old quick.

Herbie

Do the tree of life awakenings ruin the tree of life? If done correctly and discreetly you could up the ambience imo. Projected lightning effects bleeding out of the elevators or signage every 5 or so minutes would be cool.

I really don't think that (or what the user posted underneath you) is what they're going to go for though.

ohioguy

Looks like something extra to draw people to the park (for free!). This may be a necessity given that the Studios are operating on only 5 attractions right now. Really, too many closures all at once and nothing to replace them. We all know this is going to change hard and fast once SW and TS lands are up and running.

Po'Rich

Not a popular opinion, but, there were too many lights in the Osborne light show. It was just a blur. It's not all that creative to just, literally, cover every square inch of a building with strings of light. I liked it OK, but, once and done did it for me.
The creativity came with the synchronicity of the lights. It's not like they were just static.

Goofyernmost

The creativity came with the synchronicity of the lights. It's not like they were just static.
I know that... but, there is such a thing as overkill. Those synchronic sections were fine, just too many of them doing the same thing. Someone earlier used the word "tacky", that applies here. There really is a point where less is more, in my opinion.

Goofyernmost

Well, we definitely have less now, don't we? ;)
True, but, it didn't have anything to do with lights or the number used. In my mind, a permanent, impressive, and year round land, outweighs the temporary, two month show every year that left the buildings on the SOA with highly visible black lines crisscrossing them for months, during the day, before and time after the season. It was impressive to see once, after that it was basically the same thing year after year. I'm predicting that there will be upcoming impressive light displays being originated by Disney, like the decorated Castle in MK, but, will be scattered around in all four parks.

Goofyernmost

I hope you're right. My first visit was Christmas 2012. I returned at Christmas 2015. Between the two, it just seemed like a subtraction of Christmas offerings.
That could be because at the time the only focused Christmas offerings were the Osbourne Lights. And that was only good for one park. It may take some time, but, I think they will expand it before to long.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
That could be because at the time the only focused Christmas offerings were the Osbourne Lights. And that was only good for one park. It may take some time, but, I think they will expand it before to long.
Yeah. Can't wait for the "Star Wars Christmas Special" display... ;)

RSoxNo1

Projection mapping is like screens in rides - it should be a tool used to create and deepen an overall effect, not the entire attraction unto themselves. They're accents, embellishments. My favorite use of projection mapping remains Uni's use of them to make New York seem to be decaying and crumbling during HHN. It's a great, atmospheric element. The suggestions above about how to make ToT spookier would also be great.

I have to believe projection shows and screen rides have a very limited shelf life - they'll get old quick.
It sounds like Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway will be heavily contingent on projection mapping.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom