Hurricane Survival Thread 2017 updates!

Tavernacle12

Not that I can think of off the top of my head but don't quote me. Remember everything on property of any merit is built to the EPCOT Code standard.

I just hope this weekend won't be the biggest test of the code.

Is there anything in the parks you believe may be in danger moreso than anything else? Or, at least, things that would be in danger without a terrible act of god?

Sped2424

Not that I can think of off the top of my head but don't quote me. Remember everything on property of any merit is built to the EPCOT Code standard.

I just hope this weekend won't be the biggest test of the code.
It shouldn't this storm is not going to hit us harder than Charlie thankfully.

lazyboy97o

Is there anything in the parks you believe may be in danger moreso than anything else? Or, at least, things that would be in danger without a terrible act of god?
Structurally (in regards to winds), the weakest designs would be those that are deemed Risk Category 1. These are structures that present the least risk to human life and examples are agricultural buildings, some temporary structures and some small storage structures. Even then it is not as though these structures are allowed to be weak.

Uncle Lupe

Only thing I can add living through without power for a while is having a head lamp. Find one that uses AAA batteries. Those seem to stay in stock longer than other battery sizes and are easier to find. Great to have hands free light right where you need to see.
7LED-headlight_lores-copy.jpg

Also freeze some milk jugs filled with water. Gallon sized blocks of ice will help keep you fridge cold for a while longer. If nothing else you'll have something cold to drink as it melts.

Ismael Flores

Structurally (in regards to winds), the weakest designs would be those that are deemed Risk Category 1. These are structures that present the least risk to human life and examples are agricultural buildings, some temporary structures and some small storage structures. Even then it is not as though these structures are allowed to be weak.

I'm really hoping the winds don't damage the landscaping and element sof DAK. I think That park if hit with high winds could Turn I to a nightmare with trees and landscaping blowing everywhere

The Mom

Premium Member
Original Poster
Only thing I can add living through without power for a while is having a head lamp. Find one that uses AAA batteries. Those seem to stay in stock longer than other battery sizes and are easier to find. Great to have hands free light right where you need to see.
7LED-headlight_lores-copy.jpg

Also freeze some milk jugs filled with water. Gallon sized blocks of ice will help keep you fridge cold for a while longer. If nothing else you'll have something cold to drink as it melts.

We have a couple - absolutely necessary for refilling the generator in the dark.

Creathir

Not sure if these images have been posted yet. The water has been drained at Hollywood Studios.
That is actually in prep for the new Christmas decorations (putting a Christmas tree in the middle of echo lake), not really hurricane related.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Hope this is appropriate....

In the event you are AT a WDW Resort Hotel, in this event? MANY CMs will be on the "Ride Out Crew".
These folks will do their best to do the best they can do in the middle of a Hurricane. They are your friends. They are just honest people that can't make the Hurricane go away, re-open the parks, or perform general miracles. Folks on Ride Out Crews STAY in the Hotels, and sleep poorly. They will not leave until YOU are safe, cared for, and fed (as well as possible).

Please - if you get stuck in the middle of this? WDW is doing all it can. The most important thing to carry with you is your TEMPER. You will be frightened.... Please, do your best to NOT take this out on the Ride Out Folks :(. All they want to do is the best they CAN, in a difficult situation.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Hope this is appropriate....

In the event you are AT a WDW Resort Hotel, in this event? MANY CMs will be on the "Ride Out Crew".
These folks will do their best to do the best they can do in the middle of a Hurricane. They are your friends. They are just honest people that can't make the Hurricane go away, re-open the parks, or perform general miracles. Folks on Ride Out Crews STAY in the Hotels, and sleep poorly. They will not leave until YOU are safe, cared for, and fed (as well as possible).

Please - if you get stuck in the middle of this? WDW is doing all it can. The most important thing to carry with you is your TEMPER. You will be frightened.... Please, do your best to NOT take this out on the Ride Out Folks :(. All they want to do is the best they CAN, in a difficult situation.

THIS x1,000,000

IanDLBZF

If you have a weather radio, make sure it has fresh batteries and is set to work properly so that you can receive life saving warnings (especially at night!)
The NWS says having a Weather Radio alert you to an approaching tornado or extreme hurricane winds, especially during the middle of the night or when the power goes out, has saved countless lives.

Jedi Stitch

Camping/Hiking meals made by Real Mountain are very good. They are pretty much a just add water meal. Most places sell a 5 gallon tub that stores for years a weeks worth of meals for one person. My disaster kit has 3 tubs, a full Red cross back pack. I change out the water and batteries regularly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom