Imagineering Future Community Projects

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
In talking with a few members around here recently, we've noticed a bit of a drop in imagineering activity as of late, not to the point of extinction or anything, but less than usual. Naturally when school starts back up - things tend to get a bit busy, but for some reason this year that trend began even earlier in the summer than usual. Perhaps it's the old guard who have frequented here for years growing older, more busy, or needing a bit of a break? Could be any variety of those things.

Either way - I wanted to start this thread as a bit of a open conversation on maybe some threads and concepts we could start up in the coming weeks that people would be interested in participating in. We've got 11 players so far in @tcool123 's A Twist in Time Season 2 - which will definitely keep the creative juices flowing throughout the fall competition wise.

However in terms of brainstorming concepts, is there anything (Disney, Universal, or other) related that anyone has ever been interested in discussing/creating? Or maybe a new imagineering gameshow idea? And these can just be free flowing conversation threads that can give us something to do and keep the forum moving forward.

One suggestion I would have is I know there are at least a few members who are on the West Coast, and a few in Europe - meaning that Disneyland and Disneyland Paris is their home parks, while the majority of projects tend to focus on the east coast/WDW.

Euro Disney 1985 was thinking of doing a Walt Disney Studios Paris complete redo project (similar to the conclusion of Theme Park Apprentice) so that could be something. Maybe a Disneyland 3rd Gate? Or Tomorrowland Redo project (as that was suggested today in the Twist in Time daily discussion questions) Something like that could be a possibly. We could also branch out to parks such as Knott's Berry Farm, Dollywood, and more to further branch out the spectrum of possibilities. Obviously not all at the same time with the same people, but ideally having more threads open and more branches for new members and old to interact and engage will make for a solid path forward!

If you have any suggestions or ideas that you would like to see - please feel free to comment below :) (or try starting the concept yourself!)

kmbmw777

In talking with a few members around here recently, we've noticed a bit of a drop in imagineering activity as of late, not to the point of extinction or anything, but less than usual. Naturally when school starts back up - things tend to get a bit busy, but for some reason this year that trend began even earlier in the summer than usual. Perhaps it's the old guard who have frequented here for years growing older, more busy, or needing a bit of a break? Could be any variety of those things.

Either way - I wanted to start this thread as a bit of a open conversation on maybe some threads and concepts we could start up in the coming weeks that people would be interested in participating in. We've got 11 players so far in @tcool123 's A Twist in Time Season 2 - which will definitely keep the creative juices flowing throughout the fall competition wise.

However in terms of brainstorming concepts, is there anything (Disney, Universal, or other) related that anyone has ever been interested in discussing/creating? Or maybe a new imagineering gameshow idea? And these can just be free flowing conversation threads that can give us something to do and keep the forum moving forward.

One suggestion I would have is I know there are at least a few members who are on the West Coast, and a few in Europe - meaning that Disneyland and Disneyland Paris is their home parks, while the majority of projects tend to focus on the east coast/WDW.

Euro Disney 1985 was thinking of doing a Walt Disney Studios Paris complete redo project (similar to the conclusion of Theme Park Apprentice) so that could be something. Maybe a Disneyland 3rd Gate? Or Tomorrowland Redo project (as that was suggested today in the Twist in Time daily discussion questions) Something like that could be a possibly. We could also branch out to parks such as Knott's Berry Farm, Dollywood, and more to further branch out the spectrum of possibilities. Obviously not all at the same time with the same people, but ideally having more threads open and more branches for new members and old to interact and engage will make for a solid path forward!

If you have any suggestions or ideas that you would like to see - please feel free to comment below :) (or try starting the concept yourself!)
I think episode four of the one sentence competition would really be fun and be great for those of us with less time to work on.

Also, if we would like to do a mega brainstorming project, I think something fun could be like a Mega-IP park. Completely blue sky park in which Disney, Universal, Six Flags, etc. all work together.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Some additional ideas aside from the ones I mentioned in the opening post:

- Club 32 Pangaea Park (this was started and has some ideas already laid out)
- SYWTBAI Universal Australia (there is still potential to finish this up - @TheOriginalTiki has been busy as of late, but I'm sure we can splice together enough ideas in order to fill it out a bit more and finish the park)
- WDW 1966 Epcot (building the City of Epcot) in 2016 we built the parks and overall resort - it would be fun to jump back into the City
- The Newsroom (Bi-weekly summaries of the forum events)
- Imagineering Weekends: Disney Debates (we have done this in the past, and th SYWTBAI Youtube channel is still doing them, so this could be fun - you basically just debate disney topics - for example "Best Attraction, Worst Restaurant" etc)

I think episode four of the one sentence competition would really be fun and be great for those of us with less time to work on.

Also, if we would like to do a mega brainstorming project, I think something fun could be like a Mega-IP park. Completely blue sky park in which Disney, Universal, Six Flags, etc. all work together.
Great suggestions!

D Hulk

Definitely exhaustion and burnout can happen when doing too much Armchair Imagineering all at once. While I can't be considered "old guard" around here, I've been doing Imagineer designs for three years now on assorted websites. Just this past summer, I've done group projects, hosted a competition, and won a Tournament of Champions. Forgive me for vanishing a little in the near future, partly because in slightly over a week I'll be visiting DisneySea :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:!!!! (And some other Asian theme parks.)

Count me among the mythical Disneyland locals around here. As such, I could certainly host West Coast contests and group brainstorms in the future! The idea of a group design for Disneyland's third gate done Club 32 style (Club 3rd Gate?) is something I would be happy to be a part perhaps next year or later. Some West Coast gameshow competitions could involve never-made concepts like WestCOT, the Long Beach DisneySea, or the version of Disney's America they'd planned for Knott's when Disney was briefly considering buying them.

My other big Imagineering passion is for totally original, non-IP park ideas. The Theme Park Apprentice occasionally does cumulative seasons where individuals (possibly groups here) design such a park from scratch. Players start with basic park proposals, then do challenges for dark rides, coasters, shows, and similar standard elements, climaxing with a park-wide proposal. (I've just posted one such park of my own, Monstrous Realms - and after posting this I see @spacemt354 has just mentioned it above :eek:) I would love to see what original ideas our WDW Magic Imagineers could create! :D

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Definitely exhaustion and burnout can happen when doing too much Armchair Imagineering all at once. While I can't be considered "old guard" around here, I've been doing Imagineer designs for three years now on assorted websites. Just this past summer, I've done group projects, hosted a competition, and won a Tournament of Champions. Forgive me for vanishing a little in the near future, partly because in slightly over a week I'll be visiting DisneySea :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:!!!! (And some other Asian theme parks.)

Count me among the mythical Disneyland locals around here. As such, I could certainly host West Coast contests and group brainstorms in the future! The idea of a group design for Disneyland's third gate done Club 32 style (Club 3rd Gate?) is something I would be happy to be a part perhaps next year or later. Some West Coast gameshow competitions could involve never-made concepts like WestCOT, the Long Beach DisneySea, or the version of Disney's America they'd planned for Knott's when Disney was briefly considering buying them.

My other big Imagineering passion is for totally original, non-IP park ideas. The Theme Park Apprentice occasionally does cumulative seasons where individuals (possibly groups here) design such a park from scratch. Players start with basic park proposals, then do challenges for dark rides, coasters, shows, and similar standard elements, climaxing with a park-wide proposal. (I've just posted one such park of my own, Monstrous Realms - and after posting this I see @spacemt354 has just mentioned it above :eek:) I would love to see what original ideas our WDW Magic Imagineers could create! :D
Oh heck yes! You're going to DisneySea? Pictures please?:D Actually I don't know if you've ever done a trip report - but an overseas trip will generate a lot of interest with people on this site because they are so uncommon. There's a WDW Trip Report section (it's also for international trips too) and I dabbled with one as well, - everyone is really nice over there like in Imagineering too.

3 years is as long as me haha so I'd definitely say you've done your fair share - I know I needed a break from competitions, though that creative itch I know will come back eventually and for me at least group projects are a fun way to keep in touch with everyone even if busy. One or two of those over the fall and into next year could be fun!

D Hulk

Oh heck yes! You're going to DisneySea? Pictures please?:D Actually I don't know if you've ever done a trip report - but an overseas trip will generate a lot of interest with people on this site because they are so uncommon. There's a WDW Trip Report section (it's also for international trips too) and I dabbled with one as well, - everyone is really nice over there like in Imagineering too!
That section looks really active and friendly. I'll have to give it a longer look when I can. And indeed I hope to put together a trip report, complete with pics. This trip will be a lot of fun, and the anticipation is almost unbelievable so close to the travel dates!

A little more detail. First I'm doing a half week layover in Hong Kong, so I'll be checking out Ocean Park and then Hong Kong Disneyland, plus the local, cultural and culinary sights. Then it's a puddle hopper flight to Tokyo, with three full days for the Tokyo Disneyland Resort. After that, it's off to Kyoto, and then Osaka for Universal Studios Japan (and the city itself). A couple more days to explore Tokyo and its back home. So excited!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
That section looks really active and friendly. I'll have to give it a longer look when I can. And indeed I hope to put together a trip report, complete with pics. This trip will be a lot of fun, and the anticipation is almost unbelievable so close to the travel dates!

A little more detail. First I'm doing a half week layover in Hong Kong, so I'll be checking out Ocean Park and then Hong Kong Disneyland, plus the local, cultural and culinary sights. Then it's a puddle hopper flight to Tokyo, with three full days for the Tokyo Disneyland Resort. After that, it's off to Kyoto, and then Osaka for Universal Studios Japan (and the city itself). A couple more days to explore Tokyo and its back home. So excited!
Wow! What a trip! Have you ever been to Hong Kong Disneyland? I'm curious what you will think of Mystic Manor among some of the other attractions that have been touted by reviewers at that park

Brer Oswald

I'm still hoping that I could help with the Disney Paris Studios redevelopment project. I'm also still on track to work on Pangaea, and I was planning on early, but activity seemed to have dropped off.

Disney Dad 3000

One thing I had thought a little while back might be an interesting idea would be an imagineering challenge of the month or other time frame. In other words pick an IP, land idea, restaurant, etc and anybody that wants to post a submission can do so. Maybe even pair up in teams. Wouldn't be a comp, just something each month for folks to drop in on, with deadlines not super tight and just compare ideas.

Or as I thought about it more today, maybe even apply that idea to our forum projects like Club 32 Panagea. I know it would make the process longer, but who is in a rush. You could make it almost WDI-like.As we started fleshing out rough ideas for the park and areas, when it's time for full scale attraction production or land build out we take one at a time. Maybe give 2 weeks, and anyone that wants to submit a proposal for that one land idea/attraction/rest/est can do so. Doesn't necessarily have to be competition quality, really up to the member. That way maybe there are 4-5 proposals or so for each land idea, Ride, etc.

Maybe someone comes up with a scene or idea that nobody else thinks of and after all submissions are in we compare, edit, merge as needed. Anybody who maybe feels like their ideas don't always get a chance in the brainstorming phase or want to explore an idea more can flesh a little something out and everyone is truly involved in some fashion with almost every facet of the park. Sort of an in-house attraction pitch with everyone coming up with ideas for the same thing solo or in pairs, pitching, sharing ideas but without the rush of a 7 day turnaround. And we mix between lands, rides, restaurants to keep it interesting.

C. E. Myatt

As I mentioned in the Imagineering Break Room, I want to make an imagineering competition on retheming creationist museums and theme parks. The hard part is figuring out how to make a competition. Does anyone have a guide?

Also I'd probably need some judges.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
As I mentioned in the Imagineering Break Room, I want to make an imagineering competition on retheming creationist museums and theme parks. The hard part is figuring out how to make a competition. Does anyone have a guide?

Also I'd probably need some judges.
If you're looking to start a competition, some basic guidelines would be

- Make sure the theme of the competition has broad enough topics to gain popular appeal. The creationist museum concept is unique, but if the entire competition is removing exhibits themed around someone's possible religious beliefs, that could be alienating. So just something to think about
- Try to pick a calendar slot where you will be able to be mostly active and available. No use hosting a comp if you are busy during the time. And also if possible, when there aren't other competitions going on, or when competitions are coming to an end so you don't run into each other.
- Try to have as much information clear and confirmed about the competition before you begin it. Potential players feel more comfortable signing up if they know what they are getting into.

That's really about it! It's not difficult to host...just a bit more time consuming than people might realize.

C. E. Myatt

If you're looking to start a competition, some basic guidelines would be

- Make sure the theme of the competition has broad enough topics to gain popular appeal. The creationist museum concept is unique, but if the entire competition is removing exhibits themed around someone's possible religious beliefs, that could be alienating. So just something to think about
- Try to pick a calendar slot where you will be able to be mostly active and available. No use hosting a comp if you are busy during the time. And also if possible, when there aren't other competitions going on, or when competitions are coming to an end so you don't run into each other.
- Try to have as much information clear and confirmed about the competition before you begin it. Potential players feel more comfortable signing up if they know what they are getting into.

That's really about it! It's not difficult to host...just a bit more time consuming than people might realize.
Why would I need plenty of time? I could just make the contest posts, wait until the due date, then rate them. Repeat until contest is over.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Why would I need plenty of time? I could just make the contest posts, wait until the due date, then rate them. Repeat until contest is over.
If you do this, what if a contestant or multiple contestants have questions throughout the project? What about reminders a day or two before the due date? Etc. The point of my previous post was to say that, typically, being a host is a bit more involved than just posting a challenge and coming back at the due date. You don't have to be on the forum 24/7, but checking at least once or twice a day and giving your contestants a bit of morale support throughout the competition should be considered.

C. E. Myatt

If you do this, what if a contestant or multiple contestants have questions throughout the project? What about reminders a day or two before the due date? Etc. The point of my previous post was to say that, typically, being a host is a bit more involved than just posting a challenge and coming back at the due date. You don't have to be on the forum 24/7, but checking at least once or twice a day and giving your contestants a bit of morale support throughout the competition should be considered.
Checking the forums once or twice a day doesn't seem too time consuming...but maybe making a post could take a while (but that might just be me), and who knows what I'd have to do this semester.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Checking the forums once or twice a day doesn't seem too time consuming...but maybe making a post could take a while (but that might just be me), and who knows what I'd have to do this semester.
It might not sound like a lot now, but if you are hosting a multi-month competition with 10-20 people involved, it can be. I'm speaking from experience and I'm sure other former hosts will back it up.

We have had several instances where people jump head first into competitions, then have to end them a few weeks later due to personal schedules. Some unintentional, but others that could have been avoided if they realized they did not have the time to properly host.

As an aside, I'm specifically talking about larger competitions (Ex: The Great Movie Comp, Twist In Time, etc) If your plan is to host a smaller-scale, shorter length competition (akin to the One Sentence Comp) the host's responsibilities are much less involved.

C. E. Myatt

It might not sound like a lot now, but if you are hosting a multi-month competition with 10-20 people involved, it can be. I'm speaking from experience and I'm sure other former hosts will back it up.

We have had several instances where people jump head first into competitions, then have to end them a few weeks later due to personal schedules. Some unintentional, but others that could have been avoided if they realized they did not have the time to properly host.

As an aside, I'm specifically talking about larger competitions (Ex: The Great Movie Comp, Twist In Time, etc) If your plan is to host a smaller-scale, shorter length competition (akin to the One Sentence Comp) the host's responsibilities are much less involved.
The thing is, I have no idea what counts as "big". Is it the number of contestants? The number of rounds? Something else?

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
The thing is, I have no idea what counts as "big". Is it the number of contestants? The number of rounds? Something else?
I gave two recent examples of what I consider a 'larger scale' competition in the last post (their page links here and here in case you want to research more) And one example of a 'smaller scale' competition (link here )

My definitions could be different than someone else's definition, but for a general guide:
- If you have roughly 10-12 or more contestants and/or your competition is 2 or more months long - I consider that to be larger scale. Meaning, for a host, be prepared for a bit more involvement.
- If your competition has a handful of contestants (5-10) and it lasts for about a month, - I consider that to be smaller scale. Meaning for a host, it is less time consuming and more manageable. (A good option in my view for a first time host just getting used to things)

Disney Dad 3000

I will echo @spacemt354 comments. There are a lot of variables tied into hosting from size, duration, solo vs team, how much PR type stuff you want to do, extras, etc. Above all, I would say work on a schedule for the entire season, what you want, when you want it, and then just have back up plans in case things go a little off which they can almost assuredly do through no fault of your own.

It may take a little more time then you expect, but it's hard to say. I felt I had a pretty good handle on things, but one area I could have improved on was the timeliness of reviews. I was able to get new challenges, etc out but didn't always get reviews/results out as fast as I wanted or would have liked. Now granted I had a death in the family one week, but some times you just get busy. Just be as prepared as you can.

I think a lot that will be a determining time factor for you as well is how much extra do you want in there? There's no exact right or wrong way to promote or run your comp, but from the better comps I've seen the last few years , there was always something different, or new that helps keep the fun/chatter/involvement going. With the Great Movie Ride, I tried doing a couple preview trailers for the season, a mini challenge each midweek, posting frequently in private team chats if I saw they needed a bump, or on the itself forum itself and did a season ending award show. Not saying you have to do any or all of that, and I'm not 100% sure how it played out with all the contestants as a whole anyway, but you'll want to consider doing something to try and get potential players excited and engaged.

For the host, I feel like it's almost a giant imagineering challenge personally. Look up some of the past comps for topic ideas, how they went, etc. If you are having fun with it, in all likelihood your players will too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom