Hurricane Irma

James J

In the Parks
No
Couple more updates from CNN:
  • Jose is now a Category 1 hurricane
  • Irma has destroyed 90% of Barbuda
If you have the opportunity to get out of Florida, or the coast of South Carolina, please be safe.

The BBC are saying 90% of buildings in Barbuda have been damaged rather than destroyed, but it's still awful. The exact extent of the impact isn't yet clear as communications have been cut off.

Princess Leia

The eye went right over Barbuda...with a storm this size, we knew it was going to be devastating for them. I think only 1,600 people live there though, whether you take that as good news or not. Obviously not for the 1,600 though.
More people live on Antigua, but it's sad none the less. Their main source of economic growth is tied to the tourism market, and if the resorts are destroyed or damaged, people aren't going to visit.

Ziggie

I have a question please.. my family & friends are worrying me because they say if we leave on Friday morning to head up to AofA, there is a very big chance we could get stuck on the turnpike and get caught in the storm. Our reservations are for Friday night and the storm is expected to hit the southern tip of Florida early Sunday morning.

Wouldn't we have enough time from early Friday morning to early Sunday morning to drive 155 miles?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Thanks, all. @21stamps - yes, as of a few minutes ago, we are heavily leaning Atlanta. We confirmed with one of our many friends up there that it was OK to bring the dog. Also, in the time it took me to call WDW to talk about policies and what not, all available value resorts (and others) were gone. I had a room in my "cart" and went to check out, and it was gone. I'm told there will be more cancellations, talk to the front desk, etc.

But with that being a maybe, my pup's whereabouts being a maybe, and that thing about 90mph winds, Atlanta seems the smart move.

The one thing that was keeping it up in the air is B was supposed to start a new job on Monday. That job has been evacuated, but they said he could start Tuesday or maybe Wednesday and not to put himself or his family at great risk. We were understandably concerned about him losing that gig by seeming disinterested or something.

So we have a plan, which is a relief, and for now at least, our trip continues to it's scheduled finale on Friday night, leaving Saturday morning.
Smart call, keep yourself and family members safe. Praying for all in the path

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Not sure if folks caught this, but Governor Scott said in earlier update that school buses are being used to evacuate people who don't have any transportation. He also provided an 800 number to call if you need transportation.

psherman42

I was told they really don't monitor the resort parking lots. I asked because we stayed at a resort for a few days before our first DCL cruise and was taking the cruise bus so we wouldn't get lost and miss the boat. Plus, the bus was cheaper than parking two cars at the Port. Our cars were fine for the additional 4 days.
It was posted on a CP facebook group that you can park at DS "at your own risk". I'm considering going over there Saturday and leaving my car.

cosmicgirl

More people live on Antigua, but it's sad none the less. Their main source of economic growth is tied to the tourism market, and if the resorts are destroyed or damaged, people aren't going to visit.
A British ship is on its way there it seems.

The Dutch are flying over Sint-Maarten by helicopter to assess the damage. No reports of fatalities from them so far, but more rain is expected, which may result in mud slides. The French president mentioned two fatalities and two severely injured, but added that that number is expected to go up.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I have a question please.. my family & friends are worrying me because they say if we leave on Friday morning to head up to AofA, there is a very big chance we could get stuck on the turnpike and get caught in the storm. Our reservations are for Friday night and the storm is expected to hit the southern tip of Florida early Sunday morning.

Wouldn't we have enough time from early Friday morning to early Sunday morning to drive 155 miles?

I would certainly hope so. At some point, all lanes on I-95, I-75 and the Turnpike will be heading north.

21stamps

Thanks, all. @21stamps - yes, as of a few minutes ago, we are heavily leaning Atlanta. We confirmed with one of our many friends up there that it was OK to bring the dog. Also, in the time it took me to call WDW to talk about policies and what not, all available value resorts (and others) were gone. I had a room in my "cart" and went to check out, and it was gone. I'm told there will be more cancellations, talk to the front desk, etc.

But with that being a maybe, my pup's whereabouts being a maybe, and that thing about 90mph winds, Atlanta seems the smart move.

The one thing that was keeping it up in the air is B was supposed to start a new job on Monday. That job has been evacuated, but they said he could start Tuesday or maybe Wednesday and not to put himself or his family at great risk. We were understandably concerned about him losing that gig by seeming disinterested or something.

So we have a plan, which is a relief, and for now at least, our trip continues to it's scheduled finale on Friday night, leaving Saturday morning.

Sounds like a great plan. Be safe and enjoy the rest of your trip!

21stamps

I would certainly hope so. At some point, all lanes on I-95, I-75 and the Turnpike will be heading north.

They still haven't done that in the Keys...although it would probably be impossible. Traffic continues to be at a standstill, then crawl, then stop again, is what I've heard from everyone I've spoken to

FigmentJedi

http://www.theonion.com/article/aut...tm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing

upload_2017-9-6_17-44-54.png

ORLANDO, FL—Beseeching those individuals remaining on the premises Wednesday to relocate before Hurricane Irma strikes, local officials reportedly drove down Disney World’s Main Street, USA, using vehicle-mounted loudspeakers to plead with any holdout characters to evacuate. “We urge everyone to leave Liberty Square and seek out higher ground immediately as we may not be able to reach you if the Rivers of America flood,” said Orange County sheriff Jason Levine through his megaphone as he pulled up alongside a resolute Jiminy Cricket and Buzz Lightyear, who were seen ignoring the warning and continuing to hammer plywood onto the windows of Cinderella’s Castle, just two of the several dozen characters who had reportedly decided to hole up throughout the theme park with stockpiles of turkey legs and mouse-ear-shaped ice cream bars in an attempt to ride out the Category 5 storm. “Please leave any glass slippers, sorcerer’s hats, and other belongings behind and exit in a quick and orderly fashion. This is for your own safety. Monorails are waiting to evacuate you and your loved ones.” When later contacted by police officers going door to door, local dwarf Grumpy told authorities that he and his many relations had lived in Fantasyland for 45 years and were at peace riding out the storm in their small cottage, regardless of what fate awaited them.

John park hopper

Just talked to my sister in Boyton Beach FL and they are stuck--- no gas available, they were coming here to SC (looks like Irma may be coming here) so it may be just as well. Don't wish this on any one hope it goes somewhere else -------out to sea-- far out sea. Will be boarding up the windows tomorrow and securing everything moving cars and boats to high ground and away from trees, I feel for all those in the Caribbean.

Princess Leia

They still haven't done that in the Keys...although it would probably be impossible. Traffic continues to be at a standstill, then crawl, then stop again, is what I've heard from everyone I've spoken to
The governor stated that 25,000 people were able to get out of the Keys so far. I'm not sure how many people live in the Keys though :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom