Tomorrowland is perpetually troubled. So why is it so popular?

Why is Tomorrowland both troubled and popular?

• It's not crowded! It's called a bottleneck, Bozo!

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Thrill rides, mostly Space Mountain.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • We're all crazy, Tomorrowland is actually amazingly done!

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • It's the first land on the right, just the way the traffic flows

Votes: 13 18.1%

• Total voters

George Lucas on a Bench

Almost forgot @Dr. Hans Reinhardt TL 98 was just a renovation with a couple bells and whistles added. It wasnt a real redo like most of us here are clamoring for. They put lipstick on a pig really.

They were literal bells and whistles. In his dedication speech, Michael Eisner hoped these bells and whistles he picked up at the dollar store on his way in would inspire a new generation of dreamers to pursue their dreams.

mickEblu

But wouldn't that would be science fiction / fantasy? The original idea for TL was it to be an accurate representation of the year 1985.

Yea they ll have to modify the original vision a little bit. I mean it's Science Fiction/ Pixar cartoon/ anything goes land now but the marquee still says TL. At least make the place look futuristic and the more into the future or "fantasy" they go the less often they would need to renovate. That's the least they could do and then stick to one science fiction theme. Replace Buzz with Wall E. Nemo with something more ambitious.

At what point does Tomorrow become Science Fiction? 10 years into the future? 20? 50?

George Lucas on a Bench

It's not changing. To your average Disneyland guest, it's amazing.

Buzz Lightyear is a competitive laser tag game appealing to video gamers, Space Mountain is a top thrill ride, Star Tours is Star Wars. Even the slow miniature car ride on a track remains incredibly popular to this day.

mickEblu

It's kind of like Fantasyland 83 was the renovation that TL never got. Imagine if Fantasyland still looked like pre 83? Sorry but it looked pretty ugly in the pics I've seen.

D

Deleted member 107043

I mean it's Science Fiction/ Pixar cartoon/ anything goes land now but the marquee still says TL. At least make the place look futuristic and the more into the future or "fantasy" they go the less often they would need to renovate. That's the least they could do and then stick to one science fiction theme. Replace Buzz with Wall E. Nemo with something more ambitious.

So then they should just go with Science Fiction Land or something. There was that SciFi City redo of TDL's Tomorrowland that was proposed way back when that looked pretty cool. Instead of clinging to the nostalgia of one of Walt's preoccupation with an attainable future a land like this would be perfectly aligned with the entertainment company Disney is today.

D

Deleted member 107043

It's kind of like Fantasyland 83 was the renovation that TL never got. Imagine if Fantasyland still looked like pre 83? Sorry but it looked pretty ugly in the pics I've seen.

You can still see elements of it in Florida and Tokyo.

mickEblu

So then they should just go with Science Fiction Land or something. There was that SciFi City redo of TDL's Tomorrowland that was proposed way back when that looked pretty cool. Instead of clinging to the nostalgia of one of Walt's preoccupation with an attainable future a land like this would be perfectly aligned with the entertainment company Disney is today.

I think the name Tomorrowland is too nostalgic to ditch. They need to split the difference. Make the place look futuristic, put in one thesis attraction and have all the other attractions disguised as "Tomorrow."

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I think (and whether this is Disney's fault or not, I don't know), that the public will always associate "future" with space. Tomorrowland was (and still is) a look into the "future", and the unifying theme of the land's three big attractions is space.

There's nothing "tomorrow" about riding in go-karts. There's nothing "tomorrow" about going in a submarine.

Maybe they could just rename the area Spaceland, cut ties with the lagoon and replace Autopia with something else.

And if they're dead set on keeping those rocks out front, at least make them look like moon rocks or something from another planet.

mickEblu

I think (and whether this is Disney's fault or not, I don't know), that the public will always associate "future" with space. Tomorrowland was (and still is) a look into the "future", and the unifying theme of the lands three big attractions is space.

There's nothing "tomorrow" about riding in go-karts. There's nothing "tomorrow" about going in a submarine.

Maybe they could just rename the area Spaceland, cut ties with the lagoon and replace Autopia with something else.

And if they're dead set on keeping those rocks out front, at least make them look like moon rocks or something from another planet.

Names are powerful though and you don't just throw away 60 + years of branding. You can do everything you just said but still keep the name TL as Space still qualifies. None of us common folk are flying to space yet or taking vacations to different Moons.

They should stick to the space stuff (except Buzz) ditch Nemo, replace Autopia or update it somehow ( probably not possible in any meaningful way).

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Names are powerful though and you don't just throw away 60 + years of branding. You can do everything you just said but still keep the name TL as Space still qualifies. None of us common folk are flying to space yet or taking vacations to different Moons.

They should stick to the space stuff (except Buzz) ditch Nemo, replace Autopia or update it somehow ( probably not possible in any meaningful way).
I'll only allow a replacement of Buzz if that means they bring in Alien Encounter 2.0.

George Lucas on a Bench

Yes, I remember. But Disney isn't in the business of appealing to people like, say, me.

They want:

planning-disney-article.jpg

mickEblu

Which reminds me, they need to redesign these damn APs already! Alternate every year with different classic characters from the park. Elephant from Jungle Cruise, hitch hiking ghosts, Auctioneer etc.

I know I know, there's no business case for it. Well here's one. They can upcharge 10$ for these.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Which reminds me, they need to redesign these damn APs already! Alternate every year with different classic characters from the park. Elephant from Jungle Cruise, hitch hiking ghosts, Auctioneer etc.

I know I know, there's no business case for it. Well here's one. They can upcharge 10$ for these.
In total honestly, it shocks me that they haven't thought of this yet. Customized AP's for an additional charge...really? That's EASY money.

mickEblu

In total honestly, it shocks me that they haven't thought of this yet. Customized AP's for an additional charge...really? That's EASY money.

It's kind of like how all my family knows I'm a huge Disneyland fan so they keep buying me Mickey Mouse everything. It's like "guys I'm a fan of the park, I don't need 9 different Mickey Mouse shirts." In fact anything with Mickey n the gang is probably the least desirable for me when it comes to merch.

These AP cards are so basic and designed for the lowest common denominator.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

It's kind of like how all my family knows I'm a huge Disneyland fan so they keep buying me Mickey Mouse everything. It's like "guys I'm a fan of the park, I don't need 9 different Mickey Mouse shirts." In fact anything with Mickey n the gang is probably the least desirable for me when it comes to merch.

These AP cards are so basic and designed for the lowest common denominator.
Totally agree. The fact that I can't have a Haunted Mansion AP card is sad. I'd gladly pay for one.

YOU HEAR THAT DISNEY??? I'LL GIVE YOU MORE MONEY!

Sorry...no more shouting for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom