News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

George Lucas on a Bench

I do know that. Let's say this is Andy at age 35 with a bad haircut:

0035920_knex-thrill-rides-son-of-serpent-coaster-0.jpeg

This looks like a toy because it is one. Does this look anything like what they built, which is a generic roller coaster with no theming or embellishment aside from a Slinky dog head? It's the Goofy Barnstormer/Indiana Jones and Temple of Didn't I Ride This at Paramount Kings Island approach to making a roller coaster at Disney. It could be a ride anywhere, but they vaguely theme it to something, when really it's just a generic roller coaster. This is what Six Flags does. There's a time and place for Big Thunder Mountain and Batman: The Ride.

No Name

I don't see that at all. From the aerial images we have been able to see thus far, the exact opposite appears to be the case. The DHS version seems to have been trimmed on all sides, particularly on the "left" side around the Alcatraz ride. But also in the village area in front of the Falcon ride.

Notice that the area is physically too thin in DL for Alcatraz to be much closer Critter Country. It's a space constraint on DL's part. They didn't shorten a river for kicks and giggles.

I think we've gone down this road before. All other evidence and information points against what you're saying. Martin explicitly said you are wrong. For my own sanity, I'm not going to argue it further. I'll just say, if you cannot believe it today, you'll see for yourself in a year or two.

You know that K'nex does sell roller coaster models that kids and adults can build and play with not only in their backyard but the family room?

https://www.knex.com/knex-thrill-ri...mij7-vxdb_1qiv1xybch2dugwneaqyasabegkaevd_bwe

Problem is you really have to stretch your imagination to picture that as a toy. It looks like something you'd find at any amusement park, compete with real-sized nuts and bolts, complicated hydraulics, safety railings, etc.

Last edited:

dweezil78

As would be seen and built by a kid in his backyard.

Just because someone came up with a storyline to explain lazy theming, it doesn't magically make it better.

I'm sure Imagineering could come up with a valid storyline to explain an entire land dedicated to toilet bowls if they wanted to. That doesn't mean Toilet Bowl Land would be any good though.

Also, children have some pretty wild imaginations you know. Think back to the crazy things you and your friends probably concocted in your backyards back in the day. I'm certain many kids could have easily dreamed of something far more exciting than this slinky coaster using a variety of crazy props and tools they had lying around.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just because someone came up with a storyline to explain lazy theming, it doesn't magically make it better.

I'm sure Imagineering could come up with a valid storyline to explain an entire land dedicated to toilet bowls if they wanted to. That doesn't mean Toilet Bowl Land would be any good though.

Also, children have some pretty wild imaginations you know. Think back to the crazy things you and your friends probably concocted in your backyards back in the day. I'm certain many kids could have easily dreamed of something far more exciting than this slinky coaster using a variety of crazy props and tools they had lying around.

You can come up with a crazy idea of why a child would build a toy coaster and then totally encase it in a themed mountain such that they can't see what's happening to the coaster... but that would be crazy.

dweezil78

You can come up with a crazy idea of why a child would build a toy coaster and then totally encase it in a themed mountain such that they can't see what's happening to the coaster... but that would be crazy.

Seriously... I made forts out of pillows and sheets that were more imaginative than this slinky coaster.

Ismael Flores

Notice that the area is physically too thin in DL for Alcatraz to be much closer Critter Country. It's a space constraint on DL's part. They didn't shorten a river for kicks and giggles.

I think we've gone down this road before. All other evidence and information points against what you're saying. Martin explicitly said you are wrong. For my own sanity, I'm not going to argue it further. I'll just say, if you cannot believe it today, you'll see for yourself in a year or two.

Problem is you really have to stretch your imagination to picture that as a toy. It looks like something you'd find at any amusement park, compete with real-sized nuts and bolts, complicated hydraulics, safety railings, etc.

That's true, the lack of theming on the structure is a problem. If they went an extra mile and actually themed the supports it would help with the idea of a toy. That is probably why the original concept art was better because large parts of the track dipped down Into the ground leaving less track exposed

Cesar R M

Meanwhile, in Orlando...

From the nicely curated bioreconstruct Twitter feed. https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

The two big ride warehouses are rising out of the ground finally. You can now really see how the land fits together for DHS, and there are some noticeable differences along the in-park perimeter. No river, no railroad, but lots of park warehouses. The red/yellow track at top left is Toy Story Land construction, which opens next summer with a Maters clone and a Slinky Dog family coaster.
DIK8amrXsAExVEx.jpg:large

And the entire park from a different angle.
DIK5Hy9XYAA0OtK.jpg:large

You can really see how the land fits together for DHS, and there are some noticeable differences. The land appears to run right up against existing buildings, in this case MuppetVision (which is still a thing at WDW).

MuppetVision and the old backdrop buildings of Streets of America will form the entrance to Star Wars Land at DHS. They are refurbishing this area into "Grand Avenue" which is supposed to be a recreation of "present-day downtown Los Angeles" that features MuppetVision and a new brewpub serving California wines and beers. I'm not making that up, WDI is creating a circa 2018 downtown LA as a themed mini-land in WDW. https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...nue-coming-soon-to-disneys-hollywood-studios/ Odd thematic choice, but there you go. o_O

DILCRVvXYAA8sej.jpg:large

DILBi_6W0AQN0wk.jpg:large
they are clearing the other side pretty fast...

phillip sugarman

Here are the latest photos from the site that is building the rockwork for Star Wars Land at Disneyland. A lot of the rockwork was packed up and transported to Disneyland this week. We should expect to see rockwork placed on the attractions very soon.

Attachments

• construction 1.jpg
    construction 1.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 114
  • construction 2.jpg
    construction 2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 112
  • construction 3.jpg
    construction 3.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 109

TP2000

Here are the latest photos from the site that is building the rockwork for Star Wars Land at Disneyland. A lot of the rockwork was packed up and transported to Disneyland this week. We should expect to see rockwork placed on the attractions very soon.

Fascinating, thanks for sharing! Where is that business located? Here in SoCal?

SSG

OK, after the 10k on Saturday, the finish area being not far from Mickey & Friends, I went over for a look at GE. You can’t really see much detail anymore with the show buildings mostly framed up, but it is jaw-dropping how big this thing is. I mean we all knew it was huge, but honestly, pictures and videos do not convey how enormous this land will be.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom