Not Impressed with Pandora

Maddie Terwilliger

Question for those that visited Pandora at night, right when it opened... Was the whole land and paths lit up or just by the entrance to the land for you? The reason I ask is because when we went at night(in mid Aug).. the only part that had pathway lit was at the entrance by the huge flower. The pathways in the land by FOP entrance and around Pandora itself were very dark... and as I said in my separate review underwhelming. Pandora is much more stunning during the day IMO.

Interesting!!! For me, not every square inch of Pandora was glowing, but it was definitely more than just the entrance! The area with the many drums you can bang on was extremely lit up. People were hovering all around that area because it was so bright and beautiful. I wonder if something was wrong the night you visited.

Chef Mickey

Oddly that's how it was described internally before it was built.
It doesn't surprise me, but it clearly turned out quite a far cry from Soarin' if you really look at it objectively.

Sure, it's a screen ride, but there are many attractions with similar elements that are completely different experiences.

Sonconato

Interesting!!! For me, not every square inch of Pandora was glowing, but it was definitely more than just the entrance! The area with the many drums you can bang on was extremely lit up. People were hovering all around that area because it was so bright and beautiful. I wonder if something was wrong the night you visited.
I personally think that the Swotu Wayä show is a fun addition to the Pandora environment, and a good use for those drums. They have it every day pretty much every hour in the afternoon. The schedules have the specific times.

DABIGCHEEZ

We heard the drum banging show going on when we were in Pandora during the daytime. We really had no interest in it so can't give an opinion on it. I can say that that area was dark and definitely not all lit up the night we were there, but maybe it is only lit up around when the show is going on??? If they even do the show during the earlier night hours? (I really don't know... just a guess)

AndrewsJ

I was expecting so much more. The river journey was just blah. Not a repeat. Nighttime was actually very underwhelming. I was expecting much more to be lit up...it was very boring. FOP was ok. It's soaring and star tours combined. Kind of a let down. I guess it's good they have two more rides to take the heat off my favorite ride, Everest, but i was expecting much more.
I agree completely

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I got to visit it in July... It was the only crowded section of the park. Crowds definitely made it less enjoyable (much like Harry Potter, but not AS crowded..)

It was scorching hot, so luckily we had a FP+ for NRJ. The only thing it had going for it was the animatronic and sweet amazingly cold air conditioning. Otherwise, it was super underwhelming. "Hey look at those paper things spin on a string!" "Wow look at all these plastic plants!"

I thought the counter service bowl thing was actually pretty awesome tho! A good portion for the amount of money you pay. But that's about the only thing I enjoyed about this land.

The atmosphere is alright I guess. It's not as amazing as they make it out to be. Certainly better than Camp Minnie-Mickey, but eh. "Wow. They organized the plants and made static mountains!" Like it's alright, it's not disappointing. The drum show is disinteresting. We didn't get to ride FOP because 1). I didn't have an interest in it and 2). The wait time was 2 and a half hours.. I'm never waiting more than half an hour to get on a 5 minute or less attraction.

It was............. Neutral.. For me. It's certainly a nice addition to the park, for an area that had relatively not that much before-hand. It's not a downgrade. But it's not really that much of an upgrade either, in my opinion. I think a Zootopia themed land would have been better, but of course that film came out so much later.

bclane

I love Pandora and think it's the best thing Disney has ever done...but this just illustrates that we don't all enjoy the same things. I also love dark chocolate (especially with sea salt and almonds...yum!!!), but my kids hate it. What's wrong with them!!!? (Nothing, we're just different). To me, the feeling on FoP is completely different than on Soarin, but maybe the effect just doesn't work on everyone. I actually feel bad for those who don't enjoy it as much as I do, but fortunately Disney seems to have something for most and that is good.

JIMINYCR

Attractions and lands are trial and error. I havent experienced it yet but throughout WDW there are things I will do over and over again and things I will do once and never return. If Pandora isnt something that excites you then you can avoid it and put that much more time into the attractions and areas you do prefer. Look at it as a win for you.... a huge number of guests will be there leaving you with less lines at other places.

StarWarsGirl

I was underwhelmed as well to be honest. Navi River Journey had no story. It was quite boring to be honest.

FoP I had issues with just myself. I HATED the restraints. Absolutely hated having my legs confined. I ended up very motion sick. The only other WDW ride that makes me motion sick is Astro Orbitor. I have no issues on Star Tours, so I was surprised.

I also fail to see why they built an entire land and only put in two rides. Kind of silly.

nerdboyrockstar

Avatar Flight of Passage is a 3D augmented reality attraction and Soarin' is an IMAX simulator using technology that dates to the late 90s. They have vastly different ride vehicles, systems, motions, and visceral experiences. So no...not clones. But please don't let those facts deter you from believing your own reality.

Pretty sure FoP is also an IMAX simulator that dates back to the early 90's. But still a GREAT variation on it.

cjkeating

I was underwhelmed as well to be honest. Navi River Journey had no story. It was quite boring to be honest.

FoP I had issues with just myself. I HATED the restraints. Absolutely hated having my legs confined. I ended up very motion sick. The only other WDW ride that makes me motion sick is Astro Orbitor. I have no issues on Star Tours, so I was surprised.

I also fail to see why they built an entire land and only put in two rides. Kind of silly.

Just to warn you Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge only has two rides.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I have never understood where the expectation of more then 2 rides in a new land comes from. Look at the opening day attraction list for Magic Kingdom. Adventureland had one ride, Fontierland one if you count the canoes, Tomorrowland three if you count the skyway and Flight to the Moon. Look at AK today, Africa has one, Asia two. Look at the recent new lands, Cars Land three (two of which are small flat rides), Toy Story Land two, going over to universal, Hogsmede one new and two re-themes, Diagon Alley two if you count the train.

imperius

I have never understood where the expectation of more then 2 rides in a new land comes from. Look at the opening day attraction list for Magic Kingdom. Adventureland had one ride, Fontierland one if you count the canoes, Tomorrowland three if you count the skyway and Flight to the Moon. Look at AK today, Africa has one, Asia two. Look at the recent new lands, Cars Land three (two of which are small flat rides), Toy Story Land two, going over to universal, Hogsmede one new and two re-themes, Diagon Alley two if you count the train.
Same. A well themed land with shops and restaurants doesn't need a ton of rides.

bclane

I agree...though I would love to have three or four rides in a new land it is not the norm to build them that way. What I would love is for them to build multiple rides that share part of the same space though. For example, part of the FoP queue could have walked past a viewing area of the river ride. Or they could have built a another ride to share part of that space...perhaps a rapids ride that partially runs by the slower river ride. Then small children could wave to their older siblings as they race by them on the rapids, etc. For another example of what I mean, I think Tron should have a dark ride built into the same building and part of that ride would open up to see the light cycle roller coaster whizzing past. And vice versa. I think it would have been cool to have something like a Recognizer flying over both the dark ride and the roller coaster. It would make it seem more like you've entered the Tron world and they'd save money at the same time sharing ride elements across two different experiences. I mean even in the movie, players can see other games happening nearby....though this didn't happen in the light cycle scenes I admit but who cares. It would still be awesome!

Maddie Terwilliger

I'm fine with a land only having 2 attractions in it. It gives me time to go on other rides in other lands that I love as well. Those attractions take a very long time to build, so I am content with 2.

correcaminos

As I said, I was expecting much more to be lit up at night. It was pretty underwhelming. NRJ. I wasn't expecting much since I heard what it was...I was going in expecting nothing and I got nothing. FOP...the way people talked about it, it was supposed to be the greatest ride in the history of rides and its basically Soarin in Pandora. I don't know...the way people talk, it was a let down. I need to learn to not listen to anyone and go in with an open mind. I went in with too high of an expectation.
You know I felt the same way about the add on at Fantasyland a well as Harry Potter world at Universals. I let it be built up so much in my mind I think that when I got to each I was like "this is it?" Admittedly that is why I went into Pandora with very low expectations. Made me like it more I think than I would have otherwise. I will say I do like FoP but not worth over about a 45 minute wait for me IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom