What's up with Indy?

mickEblu

True.
Soarin' had wow factor, but I just rode it on my last trip and its problematic in its current "new" version. Curved Eiffel Tower anyone?

Point is though, west coast has been largely lacking in newness for the better part of 2 decades. Indy was kind of the last hurrah for total attraction immersion.

Yea I'm not a huge fan of the new Soarin in all its CGI glory.

Star Tours I think WOWd people. Splash is probably more in the category of RSR. It's hard to go back in time and figure out what WOWd people in the past. I'm sure Lincoln, enchanted Tiki room, Jungle Cruise, POTC, HM off the top of my head. After HM, I wonder if Star Tours was the next thing to really WOW people. So two decades may not necessarily be unprecedented. Unless attractions like Mine Train thru natures Wonderland, ATIS, BTMMR and Space evoked those sort of feelings.

George Lucas on a Bench

Soaring Over the World is terrible. So is the Cars ride. I tend to just accept that they're popular and note that at least the Cars ride was expensive. But it doesn't change the fact that it's a completely dumb ride where the Test Track cars take you by scenes of Cars characters saying things to you while nothing is really happening or even remotely entertaining. There's nothing happening in that ride until you're suddenly racing another car full of Annual Passholders.

Despite all of its non-Indiana Jones-ness and broken effects, at least the Indiana Jones ride is fairly exciting and and has some tension and spectacle. It feels like things are actually happening.

Antaundra

All this Indy talk got me thinking... Indy was the last time we were really wowed by a new attraction, at least on the West Coast. And maybe Soarin to an extent too. Hopefully, the new Star Wars battle escape attraction does the same thing.
I think you're forgetting something. I'm pretty sure it used to be your favorite ride. Although it wasn't very popular when it premiered. I don't think it ever had more than a 30 minute wait the first few years it was open. But you loved it!! It should definitely be on your list of west coast attractions with a wow factor.

mickEblu

I think you're forgetting something. I'm pretty sure it used to be your favorite ride. Although it wasn't very popular when it premiered. I don't think it ever had more than a 30 minute wait the first few years it was open. But you loved it!! It should definitely be on your list of west coast attractions with a wow factor.

I'll be honest as much as I loved TOT, I don't think it had the WOW factor. It was just a superbly themed, thrilling E ticket. The first time I rode, I didn't think "wow, what did I just experience?" It was more like that was a damn well themed thrill ride. Like the perfect combination of thrill and theme.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think you're forgetting something. I'm pretty sure it used to be your favorite ride. Although it wasn't very popular when it premiered. I don't think it ever had more than a 30 minute wait the first few years it was open

?? IJA has been up there with Space Mountain as the most consistent top wait in DL.

Antaundra

I'll be honest as much as I loved TOT, I don't think it had the WOW factor. It was just a superbly themed, thrilling E ticket. The first time I rode, I didn't think "wow, what did I just experience?" It was more like that was a damn well themed thrill ride. Like the perfect combination of thrill and theme.
Agree, it was the perfect combination of thrill and theme. Guardians is fun but without he rest of Marvel land I'm much less enthusiastic about it.

Curious Constance

Agree, it was the perfect combination of thrill and theme. Guardians is fun but without he rest of Marvel land I'm much less enthusiastic about it.

I also think that the Guardians will seem much more tired and played out here in a few years. After the third movie is out, and Chris Pratt gains his weight back, no one is going to care anymore.

TOT seems more timeless to me

Guardians is super fun, the movies crack me up, but I don't think it's timeless.

Antaundra

I also think that the Guardians will seem much more tired and played out here in a few years. After the third movie is out, and Chris Pratt gains his weight back, no one is going to care anymore.

TOT seems more timeless to me

Guardians is super fun, the movies crack me up, but I don't think it's timeless.
Videos of actors don't age well. Even the safety spiel lady from the original Star Tours queue looked dated and ridiculous by the time that attraction closed.

NormC

We were there last week and the rolling boulder scene only worked on our second ride. We rode it twice and loved it except for the smell in the queue. It is still a better ride than Dinosaur which is just a bumpy ride in the dark because half of it is turned off or broken.

George Lucas on a Bench

Videos of actors don't age well. Even the safety spiel lady from the original Star Tours queue looked dated and ridiculous by the time that attraction closed.

I won't comment on the lady, who I always liked, but the Pixar robot lady looked dated and ridiculous as soon as Star Tours II opened. Plus, she sounds like the Kaiser Permanente lady.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom