Flamingo Crossing Retail Center

BigThunderMatt

Don't we now regret Jeb getting voters to kill the Bullet train? Wouldn't it have been nice to have that option? I hate driving I-4. I can't imagine living down there and using it for my daily commute.

Was it Jeb? I thought Scott was the one that chose to forgo federal money for the project? Either way, the stretch between Conroy and 192 (and sometimes even as far down as 27) is still a mess and not part of the current Ultimate I-4 project, but a separate phase that has yet to be voted on. As it stands, the current mess between Kirkman and Sanford won't even be done until 2021.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Was it Jeb? I thought Scott was the one that chose to forgo federal money for the project? Either way, the stretch between Conroy and 192 (and sometimes even as far down as 27) is still a mess and not part of the current Ultimate I-4 project, but a separate phase that has yet to be voted on. As it stands, the current mess between Kirkman and Sanford won't even be done until 2021.

It was initially implemented via a constitutional amendment. But Jeb launched a campaign to have a re-vote snd thus the voters changed their minds. I think Scott was looking at something similar. If I remember, the constitutionally mandated train was projected to run down the median along I-4.

Orlando has grown dramatically in the past decade. Don't know what the metropolitan population is, compared to Miami and Tampa - Tampa"s population in 2015 was about 3.5 million.

UCF was once a sleepy commuter college. It is now the largest institution in the SUS by student FTE - yes. UF, you're no longer #1. UF's student enrollment by FTE is around 50,000. UCF is probsbly several thousand above that. Not that student enrollment is an indicator of metropolitan population, but both Tallahassee and Gainesville aren't major cities (ok, Tally is the capital), and without those two institutions, would be much smaller towns, unlike the Tampa/St. Pete areas (USF) and Orlando.

And that's my Florida history lesson for the day... ;)

JohnD

It was initially implemented via a constitutional amendment. But Jeb launched a campaign to have a re-vote snd thus the voters changed their minds. I think Scott was looking at something similar. If I remember, the constitutionally mandated train was projected to run down the median along I-4.

Orlando has grown dramatically in the past decade. Don't know what the metropolitan population is, compared to Miami and Tampa - Tampa"s population in 2015 was about 3.5 million.

UCF was once a sleepy commuter college. It is now the largest institution in the SUS by student FTE - yes. UF, you're no longer #1. UF's student enrollment by FTE is around 50,000. UCF is probsbly several thousand above that. Not that student enrollment is an indicator of metropolitan population, but both Tallahassee and Gainesville aren't major cities (ok, Tally is the capital), and without those two institutions, would be much smaller towns, unlike the Tampa/St. Pete areas (USF) and Orlando.

I was about to chime in. But you definitely explained it better than I would have.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I was about to chime in. But you definitely explained it better than I would have.

We've lived in Tally too long and have worked for the state too long when we can give detailed history on the Bullet train, lol. And toss out SUS FTE enrollments...

JohnD

We've lived in Tally too long and have worked for the state too long when we can give detailed history on the Bullet train, lol. And toss out SUS FTE enrollments...

You mean "State University System Full Time Equivalent", right? Can you imagine if we had to follow the State of Florida Style Guide on WDW Magic?

I can see it now: "Walt Disney World (WDW) has several roller coasters, notably Expedition Everest (EE) in Animal Kingdom (AK). In addition to AK's EE at WDW, there is also Rockin' Roller Coaster (RnRC) in Disney's Hollywood Stuidios (DHS). Along with AK's EE and DHS's RnRC at WDW, there is Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (7DMT), Space Mountain (SpM) and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (BTMRR) in the Magic Kingdom (MK). In summary: AK's EE, DHS's RnRC, and MK's 7DMT, SpM, and BTMMR at WDW."

Ugh.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You mean "State University System Full Time Equivalent", right? Can you imagine if we had to follow the State of Florida Style Guide on WDW Magic?

I can see it now: "Walt Disney World (WDW) has several roller coasters, notably Expedition Everest (EE) in Animal Kingdom (AK). In addition to AK's EE at WDW, there is also Rockin' Roller Coaster (RnRC) in Disney's Hollywood Stuidios (DHS). Along with AK's EE and DHS's RnRC at WDW, there is Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (7DMT), Space Mountain (SpM) and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (BTMRR) in the Magic Kingdom (MK). In summary: AK's EE, DHS's RnRC, and MK's 7DMT, SpM, and BTMMR at WDW."

Ugh.

Yup. But most of us use those very abbreviations - lazy and easier to type on small phone keyboards. Plus, it makes us look like insiders because we know what TTC and FoP stand for, lol.

Disneyhead'71

So true.

I had a guy in a parking lot with a smart phone in his hand asking me how to get somewhere a couple of weeks ago.

"You do know that supercomputer in your hand can tell you much better than I ever could?"

I could only imagine how he would have dealt with my instructions on how to get to a location on the other side of town.
Take I-4 east to the 408 East. Get off at Waterford Lakes and ask someone else for directions.

JoeCamel

Don't we now regret Jeb getting voters to kill the Bullet train? Wouldn't it have been nice to have that option? I hate driving I-4. I can't imagine living down there and using it for my daily commute.
No, it was Scott and we are forever grateful his hate for Obama didn't result in a 2.4 Billion obligation for our state. I don't like Scott or his policies but the rail was a mistake that I am glad he stopped.

disney4life2008

UCF enrolled 66,000 students this fall

IanDLBZF

No, it was Scott and we are forever grateful his hate for Obama didn't result in a 2.4 Billion obligation for our state. I don't like Scott or his policies but the rail was a mistake that I am glad he stopped.
On the bright side he did approve SunRail (CRT) whose Osceola County portion is due to open next year, and BrightLine/AAF is almost ready to start service in South Florida, but they're waiting on one more train-set (Bright Red) to be delivered from Siemens over in California.

LAKid53

Premium Member

That was Version 2.0. Version 1.0 Bullet Train was approved by constitution amendment during Jeb's administration - I voted for it. Jeb got a re-vote on the ballot a few years later and it was overturned. The issue? Construction of a bullet train doesn't belong in the Florida Constitution, especially without a price tag.

jt04

Bonus that it makes hyperloop easier to get approved.

JoeCamel

On the bright side he did approve SunRail (CRT) whose Osceola County portion is due to open next year, and BrightLine/AAF is almost ready to start service in South Florida, but they're waiting on one more train-set (Bright Red) to be delivered from Siemens over in California.
Those make more sense than high speed rail from Tampa to Orlando. I don't like Gov Voldy but he was right on that

floridagirl57

If you think a high speed rail doesn't make sense between Tampa and Orlando then you've never sat on I-4 at 5 pm on a weekday. Poinciana/Haines City/the entire "Four Corners" area really should have been (or should be....) included in a rail connection to Disney as tons of Disney cast members live in those areas. Living is cheap. Heck, even where I grew up, a sleepy small town an hour west of Disney there were several cast members commuting to Disney every day.

lazyboy97o

If you think a high speed rail doesn't make sense between Tampa and Orlando then you've never sat on I-4 at 5 pm on a weekday. Poinciana/Haines City/the entire "Four Corners" area really should have been (or should be....) included in a rail connection to Disney as tons of Disney cast members live in those areas. Living is cheap. Heck, even where I grew up, a sleepy small town an hour west of Disney there were several cast members commuting to Disney every day.
Traffic due to limited road options does not automatically justify the huge expense of high speed rail. The distances don’t justify high soles rail because you never put the high speed to use.

floridagirl57

Traffic due to limited road options does not automatically justify the huge expense of high speed rail. The distances don’t justify high soles rail because you never put the high speed to use.
We could have a very lively discussion about this topic but it's 4:30 pm on my Friday afternoon. Because of my career I have a lot of knowledge about this topic. Maybe another day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom