What's up with Indy?

kap91

Original Poster
I thought Indy had just been under a refurbishment not too long ago, and Disneyland is usually so good with maintenance (at least compared to Orlando where I spent most of my Disney days in my life), but the last few visits to Disneyland in the last month or two Indy has just been in a sorry state. The chamber doors aren't moving (not even sure if they're supposed to anymore), the mist screen for the tree limb isn't there, seems like almost no fire effects, the walls of the boulder scene aren't moving...have these been intentional changes, poor maintenance, or what? Somehow I've missed out on hearing anything about this.

George Lucas on a Bench

It's hit-or-miss but usually miss. The doors don't "move" anymore, allegedly because of the classic internet excuse that it's "too expensive" for Disney to fix. The permanent fix is an obvious projection. The boulder scene frequently doesn't work. One reason is because it's broken, the other is because it resets in between trucks passing through and you either get it or you don't. By the time you get to the rat projection, they obviously ran out of money or inspiration, or both.

mickEblu

I think Indy could use a nice renovation (however long it takes) to fix everything that's broken and to upgrade some of the cheaper, unconvincing effects. They could do something better with the Rat projection, scrap the old snake for one that is more menacing and convincing and just reimagine the dart room. The main lava room/ bridge, boulder scene, and Mara are all still good.

It really makes you appreciate how timeless POTC and HM are. I know they have made updates throughout the years but much of what I enjoy about the attractions were there on opening day if I'm not mistaken.

Figments Friend

IJA was varied when I visited last week.
Each ride through was indeed very different, but some effects were definitely not working each time.

Those were -

'Laser beam' shooting from Mara's eye in the main room towards your transport as you enter the main showroom.
No beam from the idol.
The light used for the blast effect on the ground appeared to be pushed over and not pointing in the right direction.

No smoke, and one missing green light from the stone serpents mouths at the opposite end of Mara's bridge.

Rat projection not working, no mist at all.
Just a tiny light in the dark from the projection unit.
On my last day through, the light had been turned off creating a completely black room.

'Laser beam' effect that shoots at your Transport just as you are exited the main showroom.
Floor light works, no beam from Mara idol.

Rolling Boulder and the room walls were variable.
Sometimes they worked fine, other times through nothing happened, and still other times the boulder would spin but no wall movement to create the 'backing up' sensation.

I am happy to report however that in the queues' 'Spike Room', the bamboo pole WAS working...complete with moving ceiling!
:)

-

Emmanuel

This happens every year, even after a refurb.

Not to mention that Indys refurb periods have not been longer than 2 weeks. Realistically to go in and fix a lot of the major problems would take more than 4 months. They might even shut it down for nearly a year like they did with Big Thunder but I don't see a large scale refurb for Indy happening until after Star Wars Galaxys Edge opens. Until then, it'll be the small 1-2 week refurbishments for the next 2 years

mikenatcity1

IJA was varied when I visited last week.
Each ride through was indeed very different, but some effects were definitely not working each time.

Those were -

'Laser beam' shooting from Mara's eye in the main room towards your transport as you enter the main showroom.
No beam from the idol.
The light used for the blast effect on the ground appeared to be pushed over and not pointing in the right direction.

No smoke, and one missing green light from the stone serpents mouths at the opposite end of Mara's bridge.

Rat projection not working, no mist at all.
Just a tiny light in the dark from the projection unit.
On my last day through, the light had been turned off creating a completely black room.

'Laser beam' effect that shoots at your Transport just as you are exited the main showroom.
Floor light works, no beam from Mara idol.

Rolling Boulder and the room walls were variable.
Sometimes they worked fine, other times through nothing happened, and still other times the boulder would spin but no wall movement to create the 'backing up' sensation.

I am happy to report however that in the queues' 'Spike Room', the bamboo pole WAS working...complete with moving ceiling!
:)

-

The spokes were moving??? I have never seen this effect work- I was told it broke not too long after the ride opened and hasn't been since. I sure hope it works in 3 weeks when we are there

Phroobar

The spokes were moving??? I have never seen this effect work- I was told it broke not too long after the ride opened and hasn't been since. I sure hope it works in 3 weeks when we are there
You mean the spikes. They have been on and off for years. Mostly off though. It was always fun to push the poll and run just as a group of people are entering the room. Now I think most people just walk by it as they stare at their phones. Fastpass is such a waste of a beautiful queue. At least it's easy to jump back in line again avoiding the outside wait.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Yes, the entire ceiling shifted down during the crumbling noise once the bamboo pole was pulled hard.
It then slowly creeps back up into its original position.

I was stunned to see this operating....I've heard about it for years but never saw the ceiling move with my own eyes.
Such a delight to find !

-

Antaundra

I've never seen the ceiling move with my own eyes until last week.
Such a cool unexpected treat when I walked through one afternoon.

By the way Hans, really loving your new avatar photo.
'The Black Hole' rules!
:geek:

-
I'm going to consider myself your good luck charm lol. I have really good luck with the spikes. I don't think I saw them work for at least 5 years but starting in 2015 they started working for me on a regular basis.

Figments Friend

I'm going to consider myself your good luck charm lol. I have really good luck with the spikes. I don't think I saw them work for at least 5 years but starting in 2015 they started working for me on a regular basis.

Yes, it's all you!
:D

I've been through when the bamboo pole was not working, and I've been through when the pole works and the sound effects happen...but never saw the ceiling actually move.
Have heard about it for years...but just always seemed to miss actually seeing it happen.
Glad I finally did...it's such a cool little effect!

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom