News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

NeXuS1000

I hardly would say Frontierland was based off Davy Crockett. Was Frontierland a place to harbor Davy Crockett? Absolutely. But it also harbored Zorro, the Lone Ranger, and True-Life Adventure TV series as well as the Mark Twain, Tom Sawyer's Island, and the Golden Horseshoe Revue. While you can say it took inspiration from Davy Crockett, it's very different from something like say Cars Land. Cars will be dated within 25 years, but car culture, the theme of the movie, never will be. Davy Crockett was dated before 25 years, but the themes of that series never will be.

This is why I think a Marvel land is so dumb but I could completely get behind a superhero land. The Marvel Cinematic Universe will be dead in 10 years, but superheroes have been popular for generations. Why limit yourself to just Marvel when you can have a generic superhero themed land with Marvel, The Incredibles, Darkwing Duck, and original content on top?

I'm not disagreeing with you. Frontierland was mainly thought of as a vehicle to promote Davy, but they way they approached lands-and-rides-built-around-IP was way different. It was much more loosely connected to the IP, which made it better stand the test of time and allowed them to draw for connected inspirations, like you say.

I absolutely prefer that approach. Anchor it in a known IP, sure, but then give imagineers the opportunity to explore that space beyond the exact constraints of the IP.

Although, to be honest, the Disney IP is worth so much more nowadays. Back then, Walt was almost their biggest IP and they didn't have franchises on the level they do today. So logically it does make sense for them to double down on it and I'm not too sure that Walt wouldn't have done the same.

KBLovedDisney

giphy.gif

lazyboy97o

I don't deny that Disneyland/MK were built for an American audience (as that is primarily who visits them). However, that does not constitute a theme. There were plans for Disney to build an Americana-themed park in Virginia, which was to be called Disney's America - which would have been an appropriate name for a park of that theme. In fact, the name of every Disney non-castle park alludes to its theme in its title. Yet, none of the castle parks do so, as there is no real theme to them. If you want to say these parks were inspired by American culture, that's fine and would be quite accurate. However, if you want to know what something America-themed would look like, just visit the American Adventure pavilion in Epcot :D
Subject and setting are not always the same.

Wasn't part of Walt's initial concept for Disneyland to cross promote IPs between the studio and theme park?

Maybe it was a little more subtle but I'm pretty sure that was part of his plan.
It started as a sort of glorified visitor’s Center, but the plan for the Burbank Park is still more focused on other subjects that interested Walt beyond movie making.

Of course it was. Adventureland came from the Tru-Life Adventure TV series, Frontierland from Davy Crockett, etc. A lot of these lands appear today not to be based on IP, because those never became long-term, evergreen franchises, but IIRC most of the park was based on IP in one way or another day 1.
A minority of the park was IP and what was there would not have been chosen with today’s process. And Davy Crockett was a hit segment of Disneyland.

EricsBiscuit

I dunno, I love Gringotts. Seems like none of the many coasters WDW is building are likely to surpass or match it, so the bar isn't that low.
For me, Gringotts got the worst of everything (ride experience, queue is amazing). Too short, thrilling enough so no children go yet not thrilling enough for its audience. Cool physical sets yet not enough of them and soooo many screens plus it's 3D. Still a cool attraction though.

NeXuS1000

A minority of the park was IP and what was there would not have been chosen with today’s process. And Davy Crockett was a hit segment of Disneyland.

False.

Let's look at the opening day attractions, shall we?

https://touringplans.com/disneyland/attractions/opening-dates

I'm not going to count the Disneyland Band and railroad stations, that it lists, which makes the list:
Direct IP rides:
  • King Arthur carrousel
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
  • Peter Pan's Flight
  • Snow White's Scary Adventures
Rides heavily featuring IP:
  • Main Street Cinema
  • Storybook Land Canal Boats
Rides related to IP:
  • Jungle Cruise (built as a ride based on and to promote Tru-Life Adventures movie series)
So that's a far majority right there. All the rides were either directly or indirectly based on IP or were founded in Walt's fascination with transportation (Riverboat, Railroad, Autopia).

Next couple of rides to open followed in the IP vein:

Last edited:

Movielover

False.

I'm not going to count the Disneyland Band and railroad stations, that it lists, which makes the list:
Direct IP rides:
  • King Arthur carrousel
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
  • Peter Pan's Flight
  • Main Street Cinema
Rides related to IP:
  • Jungle Cruise (built as a ride based on and to promote Tru-Life Adventures TV series)
So that's a far majority right there. All the rides were either directly or indirectly based on IP or were founded in Walt's fascination with transportation (Riverboat, Railroad, Autopia).

Yeah but see your argument is totally invalid because those were built by Walt and he NEVER made any kind of misstep :rolleyes:

;);););)

You'll never going to get through to them man, sorry to say that...

lazyboy97o

False.

Direct IP rides:
  • King Arthur carrousel
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
  • Peter Pan's Flight
  • Main Street Cinema
Rides related to IP:
  • Jungle Cruise (built as a ride based on and to promote Tru-Life Adventures movie series)

Your list is of Yes, if you pick and choose which attractions to include (the list you cite is only of existing attractions), switch around the timeline and use later names, then you might have a point. Beyond just ignoring things like the transportation that still required admission (I’d give you only counting the Disneyland Railroad once despite it only being a complete circuit) but there was more than just the trains and riverboat including things like the stagecoaches. You skip early attractions Space Station X-1 and the Indian Village and Many more that opened a bit later including ones that would have helped your point. Then you use later names such as Storybook Land Canal Boats (first opened as Canal Boats of the World) and Davey Crockett’s Explorer Canoes (opened as Indian War Canoes).

NeXuS1000

Your list is of Yes, if you pick and choose which attractions to include (the list you cite is only of existing attractions), switch around the timeline and use later names, then you might have a point. Beyond just ignoring things like the transportation that still required admission (I’d give you only counting the Disneyland Railroad once despite it only being a complete circuit) but there was more than just the trains and riverboat including things like the stagecoaches. You skip early attractions Space Station X-1 and the Indian Village and Many more that opened a bit later including ones that would have helped your point. Then you use later names such as Storybook Land Canal Boats (first opened as Canal Boats of the World) and Davey Crockett’s Explorer Canoes (opened as Indian War Canoes).

Sorry, but I'm not being selective, I'm just using the list posted on that site. May not be 100% accurate, but you have my sources. You can even count the Disneyland Band as a ride, that I chose to exclude (I did include the railroad in my recap, as you can clearly read).

Regardless of potential errors, it's very clear that IP dominated the park at opening.

lazyboy97o

Sorry, but I'm not being selective, I'm just using the list posted on that site. May not be 100% accurate, but you have my sources. You can even count the Disneyland Band as a ride, that I chose to exclude (I did include the railroad in my recap, as you can clearly read).

Regardless of potential errors, it's very clear that IP dominated the park at opening.
The list you used is of current attractions. It tells you nothing about the past.

And you’re the only one who keeps mentioning The Disneyland Band.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom