Strategy- Buy a resale and then get 25 points Direct?

G8rchamps

Original Poster
We bought a Hilton timeshare so we wouldn't be "tied in" at Disney. 3 years in and we keep using it to go to Disney and have to stay outside the bubble. So we have saved up enough to purchase a smallish contract, but it appears I can almost double the points in the resale market.

Thoughts/suggestions from current owners.

Who do we like for re-sales?

lostpro9het

We bought a Hilton timeshare so we wouldn't be "tied in" at Disney. 3 years in and we keep using it to go to Disney and have to stay outside the bubble. So we have saved up enough to purchase a smallish contract, but it appears I can almost double the points in the resale market.

Thoughts/suggestions from current owners.

Who do we like for re-sales?

We've used The Timeshare Store once and DVC Resale Market once before we purchased a 50-pointer direct. Were were pleased with both resale agencies. Not to sound cliche but buy where you want you want you stay. Dont purchase Vero beach with the expectation of staying at the Poly or VGF during F&W or Christmas.

EOD K9

If you want any perks as a member, then yes, get a small contract. Perks are never guaranteed though. I called DVC just to get information and they told me I was ineligible for the Members Only cruise. The woman saw my resale contract and didn't see my regular one. Turns out I am eligible due to the fact I have a main one through Disney. When you are a resale buyer, they pull ALL the perks. You practically aren't a member. I know this has been discussed before, I'm just making you aware in case you didn't see it.

nickys

Premium Member
My DVC rep was Mark Webb, who now runs DVCSales with anotherr ex-DVC rep. He was a really nice guy, very helpful and honest, and kept in touch.

Not used them but appears to be doing very well in just over a year.

correcaminos

The majority of our points are from resale, we have 100 (2 add ons) done direct because the prices were not much better doing lower points. The perks aren't there on resale now (my resale is grandfathered in though) but you have to decide if it is worth it to you to get it or not. For resale buy where you want to stay IMO. If you want perks you can add on later direct. I think getting resale first and making your add on match your UY is easier than the other way around.

DisneyDenis

...If you want perks you can add on later direct. I think getting resale first and making your add on match your UY is easier than the other way around.
I agree. HOWEVER, the interesting part of this is will DVD put both contracts under the SAME membership #? I don't think so, but you never know. Reason DVD might not is that they have different perk profiles. If under 2 membership #s, then you would have to make 2 separate ressies for 1 stay if the first contract did not have enough points.

correcaminos

I agree. HOWEVER, the interesting part of this is will DVD put both contracts under the SAME membership #? I don't think so, but you never know. Reason DVD might not is that they have different perk profiles. If under 2 membership #s, then you would have to make 2 separate ressies for 1 stay if the first contract did not have enough points.
Each add on gets it's own technical contract. If it is the same UY you will get the same first part of the number, like ours is xxxxx.0 xxxxx.1 and xxxxx.3. That for our original as well as our 2 add ons. Our original was a resale but grandfathered in. Our other add ons are different resorts but same UY. They do look at each contract as separate though but just a part of the same number, and they can see what each one is (including purchase date).

As long as you have the same UY it can be the same membership and you can pool them all together. Works also if you do direct first but add on with same UY elsewhere as resale.

SweetEvangeline

We just did exactly that. We bought 110 AKL points through resale and a few months later we bought 75 Polynesian points direct. They do combine them into one membership number. We did buy the same use year, but that may not always be possible based on which resort you purchase. They just happened to be selling Poly currently which is what we wanted. They were running a special where we got an additional 75 points from the 2016 use year and didn't have to pay dues on them! We had planned to buy more through resale, but the perks of buying direct sucked us in. I think we are done for now! ;-)

jpcns50

So reading the above posts, what is the minimum number of points you have to buy direct from Disney to gain access to the "perks?" We are in the process of purchasing 290 points resale, but were thinking buying some Direct as well so we could pick up the perks. Is 50 points from Disney enough to get the all valuable "Membership Card?"

EOD K9

So reading the above posts, what is the minimum number of points you have to buy direct from Disney to gain access to the "perks?" We are in the process of purchasing 290 points resale, but were thinking buying some Direct as well so we could pick up the perks. Is 50 points from Disney enough to get the all valuable "Membership Card?"
Sometimes the minimum is 25. Attempt to get the same use year and home resort. As long as you have any direct contract with DVC, you will get the card. That being said, perks and discounts can get better or worse at any time.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member

25 add-on cash. 50 add-on finance.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You can go as low as 25. Keep in mind most of the perks like dining & merchandise discounts, member parties and member only venues like Top of the World lounge at BLT and the EPCOT DVC lounge are available to any member even if they are not staying on property using points so you can be at WDW using your resale points and still take advantage of those benefits. The only exception is trading in the points for Disney hotel rooms or cruises. In that case you will only be able to trade in the 25 points bought direct not the other 290 points. Having a small direct contract is a great way to beat the new restrictions on resale. Like others said, just make sure it's the same use year. It will make it easier.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
OP, you can trade your HGVC points to stay at DVC resorts, you know that right?
You can but it's hit or miss on availability. In my experience you most likely will get OKW or SSR or in rare cases AKV or BWV and usually in a 1BR villa. You have to check the RCI site daily as trade-ins become available when a DVC member trades out so it can change any day. I've seen more available under 6 months out then I've seen further out. It can also be a pricey trade-in in both point costs and fees. DVC is at the high end of the point values so if you do get a trade in it will cost you a lot of points (not a 1 week for 1 week trade). As far as fees, a few years back DVC changed their fee for RCI people trading in from $95 to $190. This is a DVC "resort fee" charged in addition to the $210 exchange fee RCI charges so it's $400 in fees to trade in. I haven't tried it in a few years so my info could be outdated, but it's not a great value to trade into DVC through RCI.

correcaminos

You can go as low as 25. Keep in mind most of the perks like dining & merchandise discounts, member parties and member only venues like Top of the World lounge at BLT and the EPCOT DVC lounge are available to any member even if they are not staying on property using points so you can be at WDW using your resale points and still take advantage of those benefits. The only exception is trading in the points for Disney hotel rooms or cruises. In that case you will only be able to trade in the 25 points bought direct not the other 290 points. Having a small direct contract is a great way to beat the new restrictions on resale. Like others said, just make sure it's the same use year. It will make it easier.

Top of the World Lounge is not available if you are staying off site. It's written in the wording that you have to be onsite but can be cash or point payment. Top of the World is available to resale purchasers staying on site as well so that isn't a perk for direct members only.

The lounge at Epcot is available to anyone with a blue membership card as long as they aren't full though. The dining/tickets/merchandise/events are also restricted the same way.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Top of the World Lounge is not available if you are staying off site. It's written in the wording that you have to be onsite but can be cash or point payment. Top of the World is available to resale purchasers staying on site as well so that isn't a perk for direct members only.

The lounge at Epcot is available to anyone with a blue membership card as long as they aren't full though. The dining/tickets/merchandise/events are also restricted the same way.
Good info. I never tried to get into Top of the World lounge when I wasn't staying at BLT but they have let me in when just showing my DVC card so I assumed it wouldn't matter if you were staying on property. That was also before magic bands too so maybe that factors in. Maybe they do that to cut down on local DVC owners hanging there too often, but the place hasn't been super crowded when I've been there anyway (outside of the fireworks crowd who are mostly outside).

correcaminos

Good info. I never tried to get into Top of the World lounge when I wasn't staying at BLT but they have let me in when just showing my DVC card so I assumed it wouldn't matter if you were staying on property. That was also before magic bands too so maybe that factors in. Maybe they do that to cut down on local DVC owners hanging there too often, but the place hasn't been super crowded when I've been there anyway (outside of the fireworks crowd who are mostly outside).
The official rules state you have to be at any Disney hotel, but not all check. Some also were not aware that a white membership card is valid as well.

I agree it hasn't been crowded when we went, so they likely are lax some times. To me it is a perk worth expanding as any money spent by patrons is a winner. Though at the same time, the exclusivity of it all might win some to want to buy in.(a la Club 33)

G8rchamps

Original Poster
OP, you can trade your HGVC points to stay at DVC resorts, you know that right?

DVC is at the high end of the point values so if you do get a trade in it will cost you a lot of points (not a 1 week for 1 week trade). but it's not a great value to trade into DVC through RCI.

My wife is our points Czar and the exchange seems to be an expensive trade. We live about 90 mins away so we like to stay in Orlando when we go - AND we do go often. So owning both may work for us.

About ready to dive in for 50 AKL direct to become members.

We need platinum AP for our spring break dates this year and we may spring for one last Not so Scary before the kids get "too old" (DS12 and DD10)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My wife is our points Czar and the exchange seems to be an expensive trade. We live about 90 mins away so we like to stay in Orlando when we go - AND we do go often. So owning both may work for us.

About ready to dive in for 50 AKL direct to become members.

We need platinum AP for our spring break dates this year and we may spring for one last Not so Scary before the kids get "too old" (DS12 and DD10)
I like having both. It's good to be able to visit WDW at times and also stay other places. It's especially good for me because the Hilton timeshare is owned by a relative who lets us use it a lot of the time and trade in for other locations:) Even if I had to pay for the MFs it would still be a good deal. The only downside is we have gotten spoiled and prefer to stay in a condo over a hotel room now. We stayed overnight a few nights in a studio hotel room at the Jersey shore this summer and when we walked in the room my 7 year old asked where the kitchen was. I don't think he's stayed in a hotel room that he remembers.

G8rchamps

Original Poster
I like having both. . The only downside is we have gotten spoiled and prefer to stay in a condo over a hotel room now. We stayed overnight a few nights in a studio hotel room at the Jersey shore this summer and when we walked in the room my 7 year old asked where the kitchen was. I don't think he's stayed in a hotel room that he remembers.

Agreed, kids are spoiled by the condo. That is actually part of the reason for the upgrade to DVC. Decided not to buy yet because we wouldn't plan to use them for 6 mos or so. We have spring break booked at Hilton already. May do more homework on a resale first purchase too.

Did get AP's and MNSSHP tickets today. Is it next Friday yet?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom