Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission: BREAKOUT! Reviews, Photos, Info

Professortango1

It's only been three months and GOTG:MB is not the breakout attendance driving hit TDA was hoping for. In fact, it's a blip. I like the ride and what they did with it, so I don't have an axe to grind here, but after about two weeks, this thing died way down.

I predict it will feel very dated in just a few years.

It already feels dated. Cosmo doesn't work anymore, the CMs aren't a part of it, we never received the chaos promised in the gift shop nor the burnt pavement around it, and the pain job and tacked on lighting comes across as really low quality. The ride is thrilling, but people aren't even paying attention to the sequences. They just come for the music and thrill ride and scream over the rest.

Magenta Panther

It's only been three months and GOTG:MB is not the breakout attendance driving hit TDA was hoping for. In fact, it's a blip. I like the ride and what they did with it, so I don't have an axe to grind here, but after about two weeks, this thing died way down.

Some of us here - including yours truly - predicted that.

Dear Disney Suits: Duh.

Suspirian

Can't wait for Black Panther: Mission Breakout! (can we actually get that going?)

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
It already feels dated. Cosmo doesn't work anymore, the CMs aren't a part of it, we never received the chaos promised in the gift shop nor the burnt pavement around it, and the pain job and tacked on lighting comes across as really low quality. The ride is thrilling, but people aren't even paying attention to the sequences. They just come for the music and thrill ride and scream over the rest.

Pretty much. Good thing just about everything can be easily swapped out for the next cheap and rushed overlay.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member

To be fair lower APs have been blocked out for all but the first week or so of its opening. And that first week or so the wait times were high for most of the day. Once the APs were blocked wait times went down.

Summer crowd levels have been lower than expected from what I understand. So its not surprising that GotG attendance has also been lower. Once all APs are unblocked next week I fully expect attendance levels to rise back up again. And thus wait times for GotG to skyrocket again.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

To be fair lower APs have been blocked out for all but the first week or so of its opening. And that first week or so the wait times were high for most of the day. Once the APs were blocked wait times went down.

Summer crowd levels have been lower than expected from what I understand. So its not surprising that GotG attendance has also been lower. Once all APs are unblocked next week I fully expect attendance levels to rise back up again. And thus wait times for GotG to skyrocket again.
In other words...the upper level pass holders are more discerning in the type of attraction they want to go on ;)

GiveMeTheMusic

This is the issue though - GOTG:MB/Summer of Heroes was meant to pull in non-APs and boost attendance. It didn't. I'm sure there will be a spike when APs come back into play, but it will fade quickly too.

TDA didn't even try to market Fantasmic's return, which surprised me. They put all their summer eggs in the Marvel basket, and it didn't pay off.

TDA folks if you're reading this - Pixar Fest isn't gonna cut it either.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

This is the issue though - GOTG:MB/Summer of Heroes was meant to pull in non-APs and boost attendance. It didn't. I'm sure there will be a spike when APs come back into play, but it will fade quickly too.

TDA didn't even try to market Fantasmic's return, which surprised me. They put all their summer eggs in the Marvel basket, and it didn't pay off.

f7FdEdG.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

I still believe high ticket prices are a big factor, especially for locals who aren't APs. If DLR management thought a reboot of ToT with GoTG was enough to overcome the perception/fact that single day park tickets are overpriced then they really are dumb. Disney itself has blamed lagging NA theme park attendance partially on increased ticket prices.

In other words...the upper level pass holders are more discerning in the type of attraction they want to go on ;)

Wouldn't be surprised if there are fewer of them given how much Premier costs now. For $1,439 (plus tax) per year you get:

365 Days admission to:
  • Disneyland Park
  • Disney California Adventure Park
Note that at WDW for the same price you get:

365 days admission to:
  • Magic Kingdom park
  • Epcot
  • Disney's Hollywood Studios
  • Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park
  • Disney's Blizzard Beach water park
  • Disney's Typhoon Lagoon water park
  • ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex – Valid only on event days; some events require an additional admission charge.
  • Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course – Greens fee only; tee time reservations are required and are subject to availability.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

To be honest I haven't seen much marketing for any DLR offerings this summer as I have in years past. Here in the Bay Area I've seen a total of one billboard for Summer of Heros, and very few commercials. So I don't really think they tried to market it except initially through social media.

As for attendance levels when APs come back. I have a feeling it'll be back to the normal crowded levels we've seen in years past. I fully expect wait times for the first couple of weeks to be like during opening week. Then by that time the Halloween crowds will kick in and we'll have a new crop of crowding

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I still believe high ticket prices are a big factor, especially for locals who aren't APs. If DLR management thought a reboot of ToT with GoTG was enough to overcome the perception/fact that single day park tickets are overpriced then they really are dumb. Disney itself has blamed lagging NA theme park attendance partially on increased ticket prices.

Wouldn't be surprised if there are fewer of them given how much Premier costs now. For $1,439 (plus tax) per year you get:

365 Days admission to:
  • Disneyland Park

365 days admission to:
  • Magic Kingdom park
  • Epcot
  • ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex – Valid only on event days; some events require an additional admission charge.
  • Disney's Oak Trail Golf Course – Greens fee only; tee time reservations are required and are subject to availability.

Yep, I agree with this. Lower attendance levels can be attributed to many factors, including the higher prices now in place.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

365 Days admission to:
  • Disneyland Park

365 days admission to:
  • Magic Kingdom park
  • Epcot
Oh no doubt...WDW's AP's are a significantly greater value. And far fewer are sold compared to lower levels. Honestly, some of the most serene and calm days I've had at DL this year have been on days when only the top 2 passes were open. I think I'll be sitting out for a while now...

Curious Constance

I hope this drives home the message that if they want to really rake in the crowds, they need NEW AND QUALITY attractions. Not just new (Luigi's) and not just quality (GOTG: MB). Taking an already popular attraction, ripping off it's name tag and a sewing a new IP nametag in it's place is only going to assist in merchandise sales most likely after the initial chaos dies down.

And yes PLEASE rethink the Pixar retheming!!!! It will be even worse than this because you're not even starting with popular attractions (besides Screamin).

Professortango1

I hope this drives home the message that if they want to really rake in the crowds, they need NEW AND QUALITY attractions. Not just new (Luigi's) and not just quality (GOTG: MB). Taking an already popular attraction, ripping off it's name tag and a sewing a new IP nametag in it's place is only going to assist in merchandise sales most likely after the initial chaos dies down.

And yes PLEASE rethink the Pixar retheming!!!! It will be even worse than this because you're not even starting with popular attractions (besides Screamin).

I'd call Mission BO a lot of things, but quality isn't one of them.

JohnByers

I visited DCA for the first time a week ago and my Marvel loving DS16 and I loved this ride. We thought the redo of ToT was very well done and my son geeked out on many things in the ride queue. We used MaxPass while there and rode it at park opening in the standby line and again with our FP. I know some hated the makeover, but as a very seasoned WDW AP holder I actually really liked this ride. It was a close second to Cars Land as my highlight of our quick trip to DL over MLK weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom