A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sorry, for the absence. Didn't mean to leave you hanging where you might have to discuss pizza or fight the UNI vs. DIS battle yet again or even read a book. Life called. I answered.

But I also realized something I've been tossing around. And that is I need a forum that I control where I can put content out at my pace and not have to come back to a disaster or worry that I might hurt a white supremacist's feelings etc. So, this will be my final Spirited thread here. I have a plan for a new project for where I can take my thoughts and get them out on a regular (by my life) time table. No, I am not leaving this site. But this 15th round will be the last. No Sweet 16 as cute as I look in my dress and heels. Much like people like Len Testa and Tom Bricker that have their own money-making enterprises, but still take part in this great and vibrant community, I'll do likewise. I just won't break news here for people to steal. I'll do it elsewhere and actually go after people if they decide they are breaking something two years after I did.

I didn't come to this decision easily. If I did, I would have made this move years ago. But I think you'll enjoy what will come this fall.

And with that, I will attempt to answer some posts and then move on to other subjects here. Won't leave y'all hanging.

Just want to say thanks for the 88% of you who have contributed positively, whether you agreed with me or not. The rest of you? I am sure you'll enjoy the threads started by my 'fans' here ... they always have so much of value to add!

Last edited:

brb1006

Sorry, for the absence. Didn't mean to leave you hanging where you might have to discuss pizza or fight the UNI vs. DIS battle yet again or even read a book. Life called. I answered.

But I also realized something I've been tossing around. And that is I need a forum that I control where I can put content out at my pace and not have to come back to a disaster or worry that I might hurt a white supremacist's feelings etc. So, this will be my final Spirited thread here. I have a plan for a new project for where I can take my thoughts and get them out on a regular (by my life) time table. No, I am not leaving this site. But this 15th round will be the last. No Sweet 16 as cute as I look in my dress and heels. Much like people like Len Testa and Tom Bricker that have their own money-making enterprises, but still take part in this great and vibrant community, I'll do likewise. I just won't break news here for people to steal. I'll do it elsewhere and actually go after people if they decide they are breaking something two years after I did.

I didn't come to this decision easily. If I did, I would have made this move years ago. But I think you'll enjoy what will come this fall.

And with that, I will attempt to answer some posts and then move on to other subjects here. Won't leave y'all hanging.

Just want to say thanks for the 88% of you have contributed positively, whether you agreed with me or not. The rest of you? I am sure you'll enjoy the threads started by my 'fans' here ... they always have so much of value to add!

Aww man :(

WDW1974

Original Poster
First, since it is fresh in my mind as I had a long discussion with a friend about this subject earlier, I want to clarify my opinions on SDL overall.

I really enjoyed it. I will go back (but am in no hurry to do so). Has some amazing world class attractions. But the design isn't conducive to that MAGICal feeling you typically get in a castle park. As beautiful as this park is in many places and as detailed as it is in most, it is lacking something. I believe much of that comes from poor design choices.

I believe @lazyboy97o had a great post I read talking about the design issues and the objects in space reference. That is exactly what it feels like. Not having a berm and RR certainly add to this. Having a Fantasyland where much of the time you have a very tall painted fence on one side or empty grassy plots with picnic tables absolutely plays a large factor.

While I fully expect that Shendi will demand additions quickly, and they will likely give even more reasons to visit, I don't see how the park's feel will change. Much like WDSP or DCA or even DAK, certain fundamentals exist from Day 1 and can't be changed simply by adding more kewl stuff.

I can't say the park was better or worse than I expected because being "an insider" means I very much knew what to expect.

I'm glad I went. YMMV.

Mike S

Just want to say thanks for the 88% of you have contributed positively, whether you agreed with me or not. The rest of you? I am sure you'll enjoy the threads started by my 'fans' here ... they always have so much of value to add!
Sorry for the part I played...

WDW1974

Original Poster
If Disney did it like Universal only Deluxe guests would get it for free.

Just a point, on news I broke here well over a year ago, maybe a few by now as I don't track myself like my 'fans' do ...but very soon there will be no value, moderate or deluxe categories at WDW resorts. The upscale amenities being added to some value and moderate resorts now should give that away if you don't believe me. If Disney's Skyliner can get you to pay $300 a night for Pop or $600 for CBR, you better believe that IS what you will pay.

The first step in charging for FP will very likely be a combination of what has been going on in Anaheim and Shanghai. But I want to get back to other topics.

Last edited:

Jones14

Just a point, on news I broke here well over a year ago, maybe a few by now as I don't track myself like my 'fans' do ...but very soon there will be no value, moderate or deluxe categories at WDW resorts. The upscale amenities being added to some value and moderate resorts now should give that away if you don't believe me. If Disney's Skyliner can get you to pay $300 a night for Pop or $600 for CBR, you better believe that IS what you will pay.

The first step in charging for FP will very likely be a combinations of what has been going on in Anaheim and Shanghai. But I want to get back to other topics.
If you had to guess, how long do you think it will be before paid Fastpass is the only Fastpass?

WDW1974

Original Poster
So basically Walt today is treated like how they did with Coronal Sanders for KFC? Where despite both being real people the companies use them more like a mascot in a way to the point that some people are surprised that Coronal Sanders was an actual person.

Yes, this is exactly how Walt is treated.

I know fanbois are wetting themselves over what is happening to his attraction at Disney's Third Gate IP MAGIC Park. But that attraction was largely about what Walt milestones accomplished in his life and the legacy his company built upon them.

Having a place to shove models and art for TSL and SW: GE has absolutely zero to do with Walt. Let's not kid ourselves.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Isn't every planter a mini-pooh area at SDL?

*rim-shot*

Actually in two days in the parks and another around DisneyTown and the resort, I never saw a kid (or adult crapping anywhere). And it seems like everytime I stay at a WDW resort, the pool gets shut down because someone crapped in the pool (something I can honestly say in all my travels I have never seen elsewhere ... read into that whatever you like about WDW and the people it attracts).

I saw three little boys watering foliage when I was at SDL (all under 4) and in two of the cases I would have done the exact same thing if I had been a parent. There was literally no way to get the child out of line and to a toilet. The other time (in the queue for Crystal Grotto) was almost acceptable as well. As the wait time approached an hour and people have no idea how much longer they may have to wait, while little bladders can't. And the area this kid did his business reeked of urine, which tells me that this is a problem (last little room about 10 minutes before boarding).

Again, I have seen much more egregious behavior at WDW.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know you likely can't (although would love if you did) give specifics... but in your opinion is the Tokyo roadmap still a positive one?

That's two-fold: positive as in will the investment stream be remotely like they built it up to be 3-4 years ago (albeit delayed). Secondly do you like the forthcoming investment stream.

It just feels like a lot of grand plans have been put on the back burner. With the B&TB area being the lone hold out from far more ambitious things that were supposed to be opening already. I know we have their D23 to look forward to for some details hopefully.

I also want to know what - if anything is still the plan for SDL's intermediate future. But I'm already pushing my luck.

First, I know you have been negative about Tokyo's slow progress and even compare WDW favorably (something I absolutely don't share as TDR has never allowed parks to go stale and always is offering something new, even if it is entertainment or merchandise).

I am positive about it. OLC looked at what was feasible to get built and open before the 2020 Games and went in that direction. Some things were put off, some canceled and some scaled back. But the majority will still happen.

The only 'new' attraction for me at TDR was the Nemo Searider (second spoiler alert: I didn't enjoy it that much at all). But it was more than made up for by plussing of other attractions, new entertainment, etc. OLC will be spending a lot moving forward. Their product is not aimed at American, or in your case -- Canadian, fanbois with money who can travel and will. We are bonuses to their business. A business which is thriving and will continue to do so, unless a mad man (or two), decide to destroy the nation it exists in.

SDL's intermediate plans are murky. I have heard a few scenarios and am not sure which will be the blueprint. But that park is already in desperate need of capacity due to underbuilding and a poor opening menu with very few people-eaters. TSL will do absolutely nothing for the park, except give John Lasseter (who might be a bit out of control these days) a bulge.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't post often and no info to share here, but a thought occurred while reading about the FP possible shift.

When DL first opened it wasn't a single price to get in and to ride everything. In fact the letter rating of rides reflected the level/price of ticket required to ride it (D, E, etc). I've read a lot on here over the years about how that system encouraged the investment and ultimate replacement of rides because it showed a direct funding stream for each attraction.

I'm just wondering, would a paid FP have a similar effect on management and their thinking about rides? Our family is fortunate enough to be somewhat insulated from the cost implications of such a shift but hate being nickeled and dimed. But if that system encouraged a more aligned investment strategy in attractions it could have some positives. The last 10 years at WDW have been a dry season with little change. I'd have to be somewhat supportive if anything helped even out the investments.

Sadly, no.

This is just a revenue stream that Bob Iger and company (most especially Chappie) want to exploit. It is no different than having THREE Halloween Parties BEFORE Labor Day. Or starting Food and Wine in August. Just abject greed.

All you need to ask is what the capacity of whatever they call Disney-MGM will be when Toy Story and Star Wars are done and compare them with say 1990 and 1994 or so ... they need to make a stratified system where the ability to enjoy yourself at WDW is based upon how much you pay.

Very little difference from say UNI and HHNs where you can get in for as little as $50 (or could as a FL resident a few years ago), but really they want you to be spending $400 a night. I don't go to the event any more because I supported it when tickets were $19.99 at the AAA office. It actually was more fun in those days too!

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've only been to Tokyo and my thought was doing a nested vacation in Hong Kong and/or Shanghai. If it's an either/or proposition for just a day would you still recommend Hong Kong?

Yes. Absolutely.

A day at HKDL can be relaxing and exhilarating at the same time. Unless you luck out, as some friends of mine did, with a cool, rainy fall or winter day, SDL is never going to be that empty. (Spirited Disclaimer: Halloween and Christmas bring crowds to HKDL, as do national holidays.)

flynnibus

Premium Member
And it seems like everytime I stay at a WDW resort, the pool gets shut down because someone crapped in the pool (something I can honestly say in all my travels I have never seen elsewhere ... read into that whatever you like about WDW and the people it attracts).

Operating public pools is in our family.. and FWIW... this is a very common problem. I think more strict health codes are also making the problem more visible... because back in the day they'd just clean up, shock the area, and then move on. Now, most areas require the pool be allowed to run a full filtration cycle before allowing people back in, etc and for far less egregious incidents. The signs 'babies must wear swim diapers' is not new :). And most people would be surprised to learn the biggest offender is actually kids vomiting from dehydration. This is one of the reason community pools usually force breaks - it encourages kids to get out and they drink more when forced out of the water. The dehydration combined with the inevitable taking in pool water usually leads to vomitting.. and that clears the pool too. That followed by leaking swim diapers are the main culprits.

WDW1974

Original Poster
As a city Hong Kong by far. It's a toss up if you are only doing the theme park (both cities are great though so I would advise staying longer.) HKDL is easier for foreign tourists and has a better park vibe. If you go on a weekday in the off season it's also much less crowded. SDL has plenty of plusses too.

This!!! (To be fair, though, I lived in HK briefly and am in love with the city!)

Mainland China requires purchasing a Visa, but Hong Kong does not, so Hong Kong is easier to get in and out of. The exception is Shanghai has a 144 hour transit free visa. Long story short you have to use Shanghai as a stopover somewhere else meaning you fly there first then onto Tokyo. Google China 144 hour transit visa for more info. I have done that before with minimal problems.

We used the 144 hour Visa Free Travel Waiver and it was very easy. But we started in Europe and went to Shanghai on the way to Japan! I would only get a visa if one truly wanted to spend more than a week in China, otherwise, this is the way to go.

brb1006

Now that I think about it has Shanghai even started any Holiday related events so far? Because I think Shanghai Disney might be the only Disney Theme Park that doesn't have a Christmas Event unlike the other parks.

Touchdown

My guess as how this will go:

Day guests: No pre reserve, have to pay for Fastpass like DL

Value: You get to pre reserve 1 ride a day and then book like DL (platinum pass holders get this if they aren't staying at a resort.)

Moderate: The system we have now

Deluxe/DVC: You also can prereserve 3 fastpasses just like now but you can keep 3 fastpasses booked at all times throughout the day (ie once you use a Fastpass you can book another.) Other resorts will be able to pay to upgrade to this system. Also tiers do not apply to this group.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's a blog. The thing you're talking about is a blog. Anyone can get one. The trouble is you are trying to shoehorn your blog into a discussion forum. People will naturally 'discuss' things in a discussion forum. You have plenty of good information and opinions, but wading through 12 pages to find your 12 posts is tedious. In other words, you're doing it wrong. Welcome to the internet?

If you've discussed it with Steve and The Mom agrees, then by all means, continue. I'll keep reading to find the occasional random nugget, but trying to change the way the internet works is futile.

You are quite right. I am attempting to go back to 2007 or, really, 1997 (and considering where we are today, who wouldn't?) The bottom line has nothing to do with Steve or Marcia or anyone here really ... it's better for me if I have my own place and drop by here when the mood or topic strikes. You also don't have to deal with folks who literally are proud they have been trolls for years, some over a decade!

Oh, but I will say some people lack self control and my threads seem to be favorite locales ... no one needed to discuss pizza or food at City Walk or start debating Disney vs. UNI. But ... whatever ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Disney apparently uses storytelling when it is convenient for sales and marketing. To sell DVC points at Copper Creek, potential owners are sold on Walt's love of trains, but that love did not translate into a railroad for Shanghai. I guess the devil can cite scripture for his purpose!

Oh yeah, I watched the painful video clips of DVC (and good pal of mine) Ken Potrock try to explain the new convoluted backstory of the SECOND DVC property at what once was my favorite hotel in the world. It was painful as he kept talking about the NW and RRs and how they fueled Walt's vision and then the dude just sorta stops when he realizes that Walt took the train to Los Angeles in the 1920s, not to Seattle or Portland. Painful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom