Recent promos suggest Disney restaurants are in trouble - why?

peter11435

Doesn't make much sense to go to a place like that with no intention of spending money.
Really? Because people do it all the time.

Imagine someone who does intend to spend money but isn't positive they will have the product they are looking for. Would you take a $20 bet that they will have the item you want or will you just go someplace else that doesn't charge for parking?

21stamps

Really? Because people do it all the time.

Which is probably why Disney decided to charge for parking.

If you choose to go to an area with restaurants and shops, but without intention of opening your wallet.. then pay to park and still have your window shopping experience. If you end up opening your wallet- then you get the parking money back. Sounds reasonable to me.

ETA- just read your ETA, if I was looking for a specific product then I would find out if it was available.. if I couldn't find out, then I would probably skip paying a parking fee just to search for one item. However, I probably wouldn't go to Disney Springs just for one item that I could probably find elsewhere. Best wishes to those who choose to do so.

Last edited:

peter11435

Which is probably why Disney decided to charge for parking.

They're doing that in California. And they didn't decide to charge because of people walking around Downtown Disney and not making a purchase. They decided to do this because of people parking there and going to the parks to avoid paying to park. Big difference.

If you choose to go to an area with restaurants and shops, but without intention of opening your wallet.. then pay to park. If you end up opening your wallet- then you get the parking money back. Sounds reasonable to me.

It may sound reasonable, and it is. But if you're one of the dozens of businesses trying to operate in Disney springs that rely on foot traffic you don't want anything that will reduce that traffic.

21stamps

They're doing that in California. And they didn't decide to charge because of people walking around Downtown Disney and not making a purchase. They decided to do this because of people parking there and going to the parks to avoid paying to park. Big difference.

It may sound reasonable, and it is. But if you're one of the dozens of businesses trying to operate in Disney springs that rely on foot traffic you don't want anything that will reduce that traffic.

Ok, that makes the charge even more justified.. I'm just trying to figure out the aforementioned complaints. It doesn't sound that earth shattering to me. Sounds practical on Disney's part...and guests of DS are still getting their parking money back with purchase.
I think the stores will be fine.

flyerjab

some of the retailers are already hurting at disney springs, this wont help matters. The tourists might be the fees but I would expect a big drop in locals, I being one of them. Unless they implement some kind of something for passholders etc.

It's interesting your remark about some retailers hurting for business. In the past, every time someone made that claim @ wdwmagic was always quick to shoot that down, indicating that many of the stores are the highest performers in their respective chains. Unless that has now changed.

Alice a

I drive to wdw and stay at boardwalk or yacht/beach club every year for food and wine.. Parking is a nightmare. A few times I have had to park over by the convention center. Its also free.

I also stay at the swolphin, which charges $25 to self park and usually i have no trouble locating a convenient spot.

Coincidence?

Beacon Joe

I think it's a couple of things:As others have noted, it's frequently a hassle to park at a Disney resort for dining. You're treated like you've been caught trying to smuggle another seven dwarfs across the border or something.

Ain't that the truth. I've had more civil and pleasant exchanges with gate guards when entering, well, let's just say some pretty intensely sensitive facilities than I have with some gate guards at Disney Resorts. The best example: the guard who was incredulous that I, who had my current guest parking pass in hand for the Grand Floridian, would actually want to park at the animation Pop hotel to try their food court. That was a weird one.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ain't that the truth. I've had more civil and pleasant exchanges with gate guards when entering, well, let's just say some pretty intensely sensitive facilities than I have with some gate guards at Disney Resorts. The best example: the guard who was incredulous that I, who had my current guest parking pass in hand for the Grand Floridian, would actually want to park at the animation Pop hotel to try their food court. That was a weird one.

Same here I'm guessing sensitive facilities of the government variety

rael ramone

I think Disney needs to care about their resort guests, who are staying at that specific resort, before they let anyone come in and park there.

Imagine paying $500+ for a room and then not being able to find a parking spot.. probably won't return to that resort again. It's entirely possible to "check out" a resort online.. people book vacations that way every day of the year.

Parking is more than sufficient in most cases (esp. when you consider how many guests aren't taking up any parking spaces)... I've never felt 'crowded' at any of the resort common areas due to 'non-guests'. If something is less than satisfactory (like kids running around screaming by the pianist at the GF), it's by those who are actual night guests and not those who are there for dinner...

And parking needs to be seen less like a source of additional revenue. You want to get people to say at the resorts, a much better way then pushing the 'free parking' angle is to simply deliver a resort experience (both at the physical hotel as well as the transportation) that they feel is worth the premium... If guests who expect and plan to spend a lot of money find themselves seeking ways to avoiding parking fees then you have a problem.

Guests definitely should be able to park at your own resort. They should also be able to eat at their own resort. If you stay at a resort and you go to a restaurant at that resort that has an empty table, you get seated immediately. No ifs, ands, or buts....

DisneyDebRob

Getting back on topic:) , Disney has always had a problem during the summer in filling there higher end restaurants like the Jill's and Citrico's etc. it's just now they are trying to do something about it. Speaking with two of my friends who work at these restaurants, they usually have openings because the summer crowds are more family visitors then anyone else and put their money in cheaper places to eat to get through the week. This is a play for locals to come on out and draw a few more families to these spots during a dip in their usual bustling rest of year. By offering these discounts and free app's they are already seeing a uptick in filling the tables.

Parrain

Even though we are AP holders and DVC members, we still usually purchase the dining plan, but recent dining plan changes and price hikes seem to have diminished that value even further. We try to remember that we are paying for convenience and atmosphere... but we still like to eat, and the quality of the food is only comparable to a hospital or school cafeteria at most Disney restaurants. Looking at receipts from our last trip in May, we probably won't book the dining plan again unless it is just my wife and I, as we always order to obtain value for the cost (my teenage daughter could live on chicken nuggets). The sad thing is that unless you order the most expensive thing on the menu, you won't come out ahead, so the Dining Plan encourages you to order expensive, whether you want that dish or not. Often, my wife would prefer an appetizer, but orders an entrée because she feels she has already paid for it. If the dining plan would allow you to swap a table service for two counters service meals, that would be a great option for users. Or to use a certain amount of snack credits in exchange for a counter service dish. We always leave snack credits on the table (you can only carry home so many mickey rice crispy treats). Since we always drive, we will be going outside for meals more often, preferring Chuy's and other places along IDrive. We will probably go less often, using our points to book villas with kitchens to cook our own meals more often.

DavidS1234

Ditto on Disney Springs. The hype around the new, hip atmospheres and exciting menus is starting to outshine the park restaurants. Why walk for 20 minutes and deal with hordes of people when you can go to one place with tons of options in a fancy shopping district around the corner? The are still a few park restaurants that I will go out of my way to eat at though; Tiffins is one. I love the unique menu, and having Nomad Lounge next door for post-meal musings is awesome.

Disney's table service restaurants are in trouble. Recent promotions have increased Passholder discounts to 30%, CM discount is more widespread, free appetizers and valet parking are being offered, and Disney is even participating in the fixed price Magical Dining Month.

From my casual observations, many of the Disney resort restaurants are operating at less than 50% capacity.

None of this has happened before. So why the recent change?

My theory, over pricing and increased competition from the new Disney Springs third party restaurants.

What are your thoughts?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Parking is more than sufficient in most cases (esp. when you consider how many guests aren't taking up any parking spaces)... I've never felt 'crowded' at any of the resort common areas due to 'non-guests'. If something is less than satisfactory (like kids running around screaming by the pianist at the GF), it's by those who are actual night guests and not those who are there for dinner...

And parking needs to be seen less like a source of additional revenue. You want to get people to say at the resorts, a much better way then pushing the 'free parking' angle is to simply deliver a resort experience (both at the physical hotel as well as the transportation) that they feel is worth the premium... If guests who expect and plan to spend a lot of money find themselves seeking ways to avoiding parking fees then you have a problem.

Guests definitely should be able to park at your own resort. They should also be able to eat at their own resort. If you stay at a resort and you go to a restaurant at that resort that has an empty table, you get seated immediately. No ifs, ands, or buts....

But but revenue and staff management plans, We cant serve guests who just walk up... pretty soon you will need to select your meal 6 months in advance, efficiency you know...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom