Best Universal park?

Daveeeeed

Original Poster
Pretty much everyone who has been to all of the Disney parks agrees that Tokyo Disney Sea is the gold standard. But what's the best of Universal's parks? My guess is that Singapore and Universal Studios Hollywood are at the bottom, and Islands of Adventure is the best. Maybe I'm wrong! What does everyone on here think?

Please don't turn this into a Disney vs. Universal thread. I'm just curious as to what is considered the best.

captainkidd

I've only been to Orlando, but Islands is the best. I would rank it only behind Magic Kingdom. Of course, losing Dragons is going to be a HUGE hit to the park.

JT3000

A lot of people say Japan is best. It does have a nice mix of Orlando's attractions. I'd rather have the two separate parks though. I just wish they'd up their nighttime entertainment game like Japan has.

Daveeeeed

Original Poster
I've only been to Orlando, but Islands is the best. I would rank it only behind Magic Kingdom. Of course, losing Dragons is going to be a HUGE hit to the park.
Agreed except Dragons has no place in an ultra immersive environment. Plus it’s replacement should be awesome!

cheezbat

While I haven't been to all the Disney and Universal parks, I truly believe Tokyo Disneysea is Disney's best...and Universal's has to be Universal Studios Japan.

Spider-Man, Jurassic Park, Despicable Me, Hollywood Dream, The Wizarding World, space Fantasy, the Flying Dinosaur, Jaws, Terminator, Waterworld, all the anime exhibits....

Islands is definitely a close runner up.

BrianLo

I'd say Islands of Adventure is the best in terms of cohesive theme (or ornamentation depending on who you ask), whereas Universal Japan is the best in terms of attraction lineup.

Very equivalent to if someone asked which Disney theme park is the best - I'd take no fault with them saying Disney Sea OR Disneyland. I think it comes down to what exactly is being measured, but on many parameters Disneyland is still a superior park to Disney Sea. Versus thematically, Disney Sea takes the cake.

Hollywood's is easily the worst, FWIW. Singapore in its current form may actually be better than Universal Studio's Orlando... However, problematically it is the only Universal Park without Potter and that hurts it overall.

JT3000

Hollywood's is easily the worst, FWIW. Singapore in its current form may actually be better than Universal Studio's Orlando... However, problematically it is the only Universal Park without Potter and that hurts it overall.

It's the park's size that hurts, and it's presumably the main reason Singapore is the only Universal location not getting Potter or Nintendo. I can't say how it currently compares to the other parks, but I don't like its future outlook.

To give you an idea of what they're dealing with:

USF:
wr5Ycej.jpg

IOA:
KgwY71G.jpg

USS:
0RhNVV7.jpg

Last edited:

DisneyAndUniversalFan

I've only been to the Orlando and Hollywood parks but I looked at the other ones and really thought about it and I think it's...

USJ
IOA
USH
USS
USF

Yes, I think Florida Studios is the worst Universal park. I think it's because USF has way to many screen rides. The new Fast and Furious is just a copy of the one that already debuted in Hollywood a few years ago. Really, it's the park that has changed the most and got rid of all the good rides that made the park special are gone. (Jaws, Kong, Disaster, Twister, Back To The Future, Hitchcock, and Earthquake!) All were replaced by SCREENS. At least Singapore has some unique rides and Hollywood at least has a lot of those old cut-down versions of the original Universal. Islands has a great variety and has the originial Spider-Man and Forbidden Journey which are both revolutionary and Uni Japan has the best theming and a mix of new and old rides. What do you guys think is the correct ranking?

opshannon

I can't speak to the Asian parks, but I really don't care for IOA. It's hot as blazes. It's loud. There aren't really any nice getaway spots to sit down and relax for a couple of minutes. It feels more crowded than USF. Toonland is just so much wasted space in my mind. What percent of park goers know 1/3 of the cartoons featured there? Lost Continent isn't even a thing worth exploring. Hogsmead is too crowded, loud, and hot. Give me USF even with its over reliance on screens any day.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

I can't speak to the Asian parks, but I really don't care for IOA. It's hot as blazes. It's loud. There aren't really any nice getaway spots to sit down and relax for a couple of minutes. It feels more crowded than USF. Toonland is just so much wasted space in my mind. What percent of park goers know 1/3 of the cartoons featured there? Lost Continent isn't even a thing worth exploring. Hogsmead is too crowded, loud, and hot. Give me USF even with its over reliance on screens any day.
I could see your point there. However, to be fair, I don’t think park goers will know half of the outdated characters in KidZone. At least, IOA has a little more variety. Do you have a ranking of the two Orlando parks and the Hollywood park mixed in to? (If you’ve been to USH)

JT3000

I can't speak to the Asian parks, but I really don't care for IOA. It's hot as blazes. It's loud. There aren't really any nice getaway spots to sit down and relax for a couple of minutes...

I don't know what qualifies as a nice getaway spot in your eyes, but every island in the park has at least one area on the lake that you can have practically to yourself at any given time, as most people just stay on the main path, and it sounds like you joined them.

As for the park being hot, I guess the outdoor climate control wasn't working that day.

Last edited:

opshannon

I don't know what qualifies as a nice getaway spot in your eyes, but every island in the park has at least one area on the lake that you can have practically to yourself at any given time, as most people just stay on the main path, and it sounds like you joined them.

As for the park being hot, I guess the outdoor climate control wasn't working that day.

Don't be an a-hole. And don't hector me. I know the park. I've been a passholder for years. I like UO. I was making a point about the weaknesses of IOA.

Tom Morrow

IOA does have a lot of wasted space along the water. Yes it's nice to go and be almost alone, but it's a shame that so much of the park is forgotten and neglected beyond the main path.

JT3000

Don't be an a-hole. And don't hector me. I know the park. I've been a passholder for years. I like UO. I was making a point about the weaknesses of IOA.

So what is the weakness of IOA? That it's located in Florida, where everything is hot? Because everything else you stated was either highly subjective or blatantly false. Anyone who actually "knows the park" would know exactly where to go to get away from the crowds, because such places exist in abundance. I'm not an "a-hole" for pointing this out.

opshannon

So what is the weakness of IOA? That it's located in Florida, where everything is hot? Because everything else you stated was either highly subjective or blatantly false. Anyone who actually "knows the park" would know exactly where to go to get away from the crowds, because such places exist in abundance. I'm not an "a-hole" for pointing this out.

Much like Animal Kingdom feels hotter than other Disney Parks, IOA feels hotter than USF. That's my opinion. That's my experience there since I've been going, which is when the park opened. So you're in the Marvel area, where do you go to get away from that damn blaring music they have playing everywhere? Where would you advise I could go sit for five minutes in Diagon Alley? How about in Toon Landing? You've already said there is space by the lake. I know about that. Lost Continet? Maybe by that stupid fountain that spits water on people and talks in that high pitched voice? Suess Landing. Where's a nice relaxing spot there?

Look, I know I'm not a "Well-Known Member" like you, but you aren't the arbiter of my opinion. Nor are you anything other than arrogant in your attempts to have a discussion. You started your response to my original post with an attitude of arrogance, and you continued it in the post I've quoted above. I don't know you. I don't want to know you. I'm not going to respond to anything else you post because you are not worth my time.

Disneyhead'71

I prefer IOA personally. I really like FJ and Spider-man. And I also enjoy Hulk and Kong quite a bit. I think Bluto's is the best raft ride in the U.S. even though I only ride it in Summer because it is also the wettest raft ride in the U.S. Hogsmeade is brilliant and Seuss Landing makes me smile especially around Christmas. And a nice meal and a bottle of red at Mythos is always a delight.

malice

USH (I’m a Studio Tram Geek)
USJ (Best Overall Studios Park)
IOA
USF (Diagon Alley saves this from being the bottom...just barely)
USS (Super compact layout but I enjoy its version of JP. Has a nice mix of attractions and some unique family rides)

DisneyAndUniversalFan

gr
USH (I’m a Studio Tram Geek)
USJ (Best Overall Studios Park)
IOA
USF (Diagon Alley saves this from being the bottom...just barely)
USS (Super compact layout but I enjoy its version of JP. Has a nice mix of attractions and some unique family rides)
great list!! ush is my personal favorite too :))

FireMountain

Alright worst to best:

Singapore- All of the rides feel low budget.
Hollywood- Very neat, but needs more to do. Not bad, just not as good as the others.
Japan- Great, but Universal Wonderland knocks it down a few pegs.
Orlando- Very great, but too many screens.
Islands of Adventure- A mastahpeece.

JohnD

Visited UOR for the first time last week. I can't really rank all Disney and Universal parks together. But within UOR, IOA is definitely better than USF. Mostly for variety and theming. USF is too dependent on screen rides. The one exception is Diagon Alley. It's, well, exceptional. The impressiveness and detail is outstanding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom