News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

MrHappy

Anyone here ride Mission Breakout? I tried to review the YouTube ride through as open minded as possible. But the whole attraction really seems forced: the story and the creative execution, even the CM shtick. I think the property is great, so glad we'll be getting a new attraction build (location aside), but this Tower of the Guardians remix seems no bueno. Right? Any more news on Epcot attraction, seems like a massive pre-show area, what about ride system and new tech?

Mike S

Anyone here ride Mission Breakout? I tried to review the YouTube ride through as open minded as possible. But the whole attraction really seems forced: the story and the creative execution, even the CM shtick. I think the property is great, so glad we'll be getting a new attraction build (location aside), but this Tower of the Guardians remix seems no bueno. Right? Any more news on Epcot attraction, seems like a massive pre-show area, what about ride system and new tech?
It's fun but that could easily be attributed to the fact it still has ToT's drops but better and now random like in Orlando.

Buried20KLeague

What the hell are you talking about? Guardians are in:

Avengers 3
Avengers 4
GotG vol 3

at a very minimum.

James Gunn was placed in charge of Marvel Cosmic Universe (which is different but part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe) which means that the Guardians will likely cross over into some of the other Marvel Cosmic movies. They are going to be around for a very long time. Gunn is constantly talking about other Guardians related projects.

The only thing that was said is that GotG3 will close out what he saw as a trilogy. That doesn't mean they can't have more movies after that. For instance, if Adam Warlock is indeed a villain in GotG3, then he will have his own movie, and the Guardians would be in it in some form.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/05/16/guardians-vol-3-last-movie/

"Now, thanks to Gunn in a recent Q&A session with fans, we know that it’ll be the final movie featuring the current iteration of the Guardians we’ve come to know and love.

“With this iteration of the Guardians of the Galaxy, there will be three movies,” Gunn said in his Q&A sessions live on Facebook this past weekend. “So this next movie is the final film for this iteration of the Guardians.”

This is what I saw. Doesn't say anything about other movies.

You're likely right... I care less about this franchise than Treasure Planet (or any of the other crappy 90's Disney movies). So I'm admittedly not exactly on top of the topic.

But if you're right, this article (and many others I found that said the same thing without follow up of other movies the characters might be in) is horribly written.

Princess Leia

So if this is supposed to be a reference to WDW/Epcot...... what ride are they referring to? I can't remember anything from the early/mid 80's with aliens in it. The only space related rides I can even think of were Space Mountain, Mission to Mars, and maybe part of Horizons. Am I missing something here? Is this really supposed to refer to when he visited Epcot as a child?
Horizons is the only Epcot attraction that I can think of. Nothing with aliens though.

No Name

I am a bit confused as to who is in charge of this project? Is Joe Rohde the lead imaginner of the ride, while Tom Fitzgerald is the lead imagineer of Epcot's changes in general?

Also, super heroes in general have stood the test of time. I think they should have a new land in DHS that doesn't replace ToT or RnRC, but a lot of things would be different if I made the decisions.

michmousefan

Rode it several times when I was out there for D23, and was surprised to admit that (gasp) I like it better than the DCA version of Tower. The DCA Tower wasn't a bad ride, it just paled in comparison to the DHS original. Losing the 5th Dimension scene made it cheaper. I think the new storyline... while admittedly forced into the existing ride structure... works well enough, and the super-HD screens and music make it incredibly fun to ride, IMHO. Tower was always fun; but adding a little comedy into the situation raises the enjoyment level to one that is greater than the sum of its parts. If you are not a fan of Guardians then your mileage will likely vary. Just my two cents.

Jenny72

Why is it *always* movies now? It's a bummer that it always has to be a freaking movie (and yes, to agree with Buried 20Kleague, this is one that I don't care about). I feel like I would have to take my kids to like 15 movies so they know what's going on in the parks now, even Epcot! Maybe that's the idea. Come on, kids, let's buy a bunch of movies so you'll recognize the characters on our family trip! Can't there be any other kind of "IP" (or whatever)? A book about space? A book on cool engineering or something? Argh.

But for those who like GoTG, it would make total sense in DHS, yes. That park has also been more aimed at older kids/teens, which makes sense for a more violent film.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Why ? Because it will bring people into the park and as they own they IP they want to maximise the use of it, just because you don't like the franchise doesn't mean there wont be a huge demand for this kind of stuff, whether it fits in the park or not, this is the way both Disney and Universal are going.

Last edited:

Jenny72

Well, to clarify I do actually know why. (It was more of a rhetorical question. :)) I just view this direction as much more oriented towards short-term profits rather than longevity. But it's true that nearly all companies operate this way now. It's about making the stockholders profits, even if it eventually damages the company, the quality of the product, etc. Disney is just doing what everyone else is. I think there are some of us who would have liked to believe otherwise.

njDizFan

I am not a fan of this self referential classic Epcot backstory. It's a lazy way to incorporate a thrill ride and blend it with nostalgia. If you are going to change the mission of the park and dilute the pavilions to push your movie franchises let's not pretend and give us this wink of sentimentality. Epcot is not a theme. " human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all." is a theme.

No Name

Why ? Because it will bring people into the park and as the own they IP they want to maximise the use of it, just because you don't like the franchise doesn't mean there wont be a huge demand for this kind of stuff, whether it fits in the park or not, this is the way both Disney and Universal are going.

It is a trend.

New IPs have to originate from somewhere. The thought that they should only originate from a movie is a mental deficiency. It simply makes no sense. Why are the studios allowed to create original movies like Zootopia, but other parts of the company like theme parks, video games, etc. cannot do the same anymore? Their last big original endeavors (Expedition Everest, Where's My Water?) were very successful.

Theme park rides have led to movies, video games have led to theme park rides, and continue to do so (Jungle Cruise movie, Nintendo Land). It's healthy for IPs to originate in a variety of places, as they have throughout our entire history.

The current attitude toward theme parks will get tired. I just hope, in the meantime, they don't drive themselves into too deep a hole.

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

:(:(:(
Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 12.18.20 PM.png

Kman101

I am not a fan of this self referential classic Epcot backstory. It's a lazy way to incorporate a thrill ride and blend it with nostalgia. If you are going to change the mission of the park and dilute the pavilions to push your movie franchises let's not pretend and give us this wink of sentimentality. Epcot is not a theme. " human achievements are celebrated through imagination, wonders of enterprise and concepts of a future that promises new and exciting benefits for all." is a theme.

I don't like it either. I also don't like it for Mission Breakout either, but when you have Disneylander's think it's "cute" Rocket refers to seeing Disneyland ... sigh, it just validates them continuing to do it. They think it makes it OK but it doesn't.

Kman101

It is a trend.

New IPs have to originate from somewhere. The thought that they should only originate from a movie is a mental deficiency. It simply makes no sense. Why are the studios allowed to create original movies like Zootopia, but other parts of the company like theme parks, video games, etc. cannot do the same anymore? Their last big original endeavors (Expedition Everest, Where's My Water?) were very successful.

Theme park rides have led to movies, video games have led to theme park rides, and continue to do so (Jungle Cruise movie, Nintendo Land). It's healthy for IPs to originate in a variety of places, as they have throughout our entire history.

The current attitude toward theme parks will get tired. I just hope, in the meantime, they don't drive themselves into too deep a hole.

Agreed, but "IP" doesn't mean bad. They've just failed to implement them properly. If Ratatouille and Guardians didn't have a movie attached to them the attitude would be different (and just to remind people I've said Guardians is going in the wrong park. Frozen didn't belong in Norway. Nemo was a poor use ...). I think they can do both (their own IPs and incorporate popular franchises) but they aren't.

It's just funny how adverse some are to "IP" and they've turned it into a dirty word.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom