Rumor Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

MrHappy

Exactly, Disney as a company no longer innovates because Disney sees Wall St as their 'Customer' the guest is now seen as the 'Consumer' which if you think about it is a large gap as Customer's can take their business elsewhere while a 'Consumer' is forced to take whatever the company delivers.

Its always bad when a company starts talking about consumers instead of talking about customers

As currently configured Disney is designed to funnel all free cash to Wall St and Senior Leadership. Not invest in new products and services
I'm not going to say that (some/all?) of Disney decisions are driven by stocks, but to say no new investments is not accurate. Disney is currently adding and updating almost the entire DHS park, and they made several announcements at D23 that you should take a look at. I think that's investing. Right?

BlindChow

I don't know about the unconcious part having been to the new Apple campus it's VERY reminiscent of Communicore.
Even their new receptionist looked familiar...

sc0007206b01.jpg

jt04

Pete Werner from the DIS is 100% convinced that Inside Out is coming to Imagination. He has it on a "very credible source."

Muppets was considered according to some but I think Inside Out is even more appropriate. And hopefully sets the tone for that side of FW. That really could become something special. IMO.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
All SSE needs is to be cleaned up, a new descent, and narration with someone like Bill Nye and I would be happy.

Dear God, no. Just... no.

Walter Cronkite. Jeremy Irons. Dame Judy Dench. Bill Nye the Science Guy. -- Which of those does not fit with the others? (Yes, I know I'm leaving Vic Perrin out) *IF* there's going to be a new narrator, it needs to be someone with a distinctive, bold voice. Of course, they need to write a script that doesn't treat guests like mindless idiots, like the current one does.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm not going to say that (some/all?) of Disney decisions are driven by stocks, but to say no new investments is not accurate. Disney is currently adding and updating almost the entire DHS park, and they made several announcements at D23 that you should take a look at. I think that's investing. Right?

The announcements at D23 were not matched by any changes in guidance to the analyst community.

The ONLY new investment Disney has provided guidance on was additional hotel capacity (CBR, SW hotel).

Therefore until guidance changes I'm dismissing the rest of the items as a publicity stunt to deflect attention from the deterioration of the fundamentals at Media Networks.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
SSE does not get thought of without lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of meetings. Current Epcot/TDO/WDI execs have love for SSE.

But it's Burbank's opinion which matters and they want to stuff WDW with Studios IP like an overstuffed Thanksgiving turkey. So in the end it only matters what Iger and Chappie want.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The announcements at D23 were not matched by any changes in guidance to the analyst community.

The ONLY new investment Disney has provided guidance on was additional hotel capacity (CBR, SW hotel).

Therefore until guidance changes I'm dismissing the rest of the items as a publicity stunt to deflect attention from the deterioration of the fundamentals at Media Networks.

Putting billions into the parks for items like SWL, TSL, and Epcot changes is quite the expensive publicity stunt.

montyz81

Dear God, no. Just... no.

Walter Cronkite. Jeremy Irons. Dame Judy Dench. Bill Nye the Science Guy. -- Which of those does not fit with the others? (Yes, I know I'm leaving Vic Perrin out) *IF* there's going to be a new narrator, it needs to be someone with a distinctive, bold voice. Of course, they need to write a script that doesn't treat guests like mindless idiots, like the current one does.
If only he were still alive, I'd vote for Lenard Nemoy.

articos

But it's Burbank's opinion which matters and they want to stuff WDW with Studios IP like an overstuffed Thanksgiving turkey. So in the end it only matters what Iger and Chappie want.
Not quite true, if you really want to know. Everyone on the internet likes to make it seem like Bob and Bob are the only ones making decisions. Iger has so much more to deal with than just the Parks. He weighs in when necessary, and he can send missives if someone else makes a convincing case to do something. In the case of Marvel, of course he wants to make wide use of the IP in the parks. He pushed through a huge deal that he has to answer for. But usually a lot of the decision making is done at a lower level, then brought to him for sign off or input and changes. He didn't say put Guardians in Epcot. He said let's see how we we can make use of this within the parks, Consumer Products, Licensing, etc. Then it's up to WDI and Chapek's group to figure out where things fit - literally - then go back with concepts and ideas, first to the individual parks heads and Bob Chapek, then to Iger. WDI and P&R and multiple other divisions within Disney worked to build a new strategy for Studios over months. It's not a matter of simply being told by an exec to put IPs in. They came up with a strategy, based on input from many parties, including Chapek and Iger, then Chapek and Iger signed off. Disney is a corporation. Decisions are made with the input of many people. Bob and Bob listen to the people they have around them. Attractions are designed and built with lots of people and departments giving input. Sometimes this is good, sometimes it's too many cooks, but it is the way it works.

articos

And there you have it. Hate to see it go on one hand, but, excited about something new on the other. I hope they get it done soon enough while my health is still good to be able to experience it. Over the last few years I have adopted the motto... never look back except to learn how to form the future.
Great motto. I like it. Hope you get to it so you can share what you think.

SirLink

Not quite true, if you really want to know. Everyone on the internet likes to make it seem like Bob and Bob are the only ones making decisions. Iger has so much more to deal with than just the Parks. He weighs in when necessary, and he can send missives if someone else makes a convincing case to do something. In the case of Marvel, of course he wants to make wide use of the IP in the parks. He pushed through a huge deal that he has to answer for. But usually a lot of the decision making is done at a lower level, then brought to him for sign off or input and changes. He didn't say put Guardians in Epcot. He said let's see how we we can make use of this within the parks, Consumer Products, Licensing, etc. Then it's up to WDI and Chapek's group to figure out where things fit - literally - then go back with concepts and ideas, first to the individual parks heads and Bob Chapek, then to Iger. WDI and P&R and multiple other divisions within Disney worked to build a new strategy for Studios over months. It's not a matter of simply being told by an exec to put IPs in. They came up with a strategy, based on input from many parties, including Chapek and Iger, then Chapek and Iger signed off. Disney is a corporation. Decisions are made with the input of many people. Bob and Bob listen to the people they have around them. Attractions are designed and built with lots of people and departments giving input. Sometimes this is good, sometimes it's too many cooks, but it is the way it works.

But then that doesn't explain why they didn't go Guardians fits more in the park to do with films that park that is supposed to be about science and technology. Or lets demo Theatre in the Stars and build Runway Railroad and just update GMR. When you have too many departments giving input on attractions it slows down schedules and instead of being speedy it ends up being too slow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom