What to do if kid gets separated

Minnie1986

Original Poster
What plans do you all put into place in case your child gets separated from you? My godson tends to randomly sprint when he gets excited. If you all get separated from your children, what fail safes do you use to handle it? Thanks

Last edited:

oliviosis

My son has special needs and is mostly non verbal so our only option was to write his name and our # on his arm. I had bought stickers to put on his magic band with the info but he wouldn't wear the magic band so that didn't work. He was low risk then because he was in a stroller 90% of the time. For our upcoming trip, I'm seriously considering a gps tracking tag for his shoe.
I've heard lots of people point out cast members name tags and tell their children to find someone with a badge like that.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
My son has special needs and is mostly non verbal so our only option was to write his name and our # on his arm. I had bought stickers to put on his magic band with the info but he wouldn't wear the magic band so that didn't work. He was low risk then because he was in a stroller 90% of the time. For our upcoming trip, I'm seriously considering a gps tracking tag for his shoe.
I've heard lots of people point out cast members name tags and tell their children to find someone with a badge like that.
Thanks. I saw this one lady put what looked like a dog tag on her son's shoe (Velcro closure). Wasn't sure if I want to go that far.., but I imagine it to be effective.

nickys

Premium Member
How old is your godson? Assuming he's 4+ I would talk to him right at the start about following the same kind of rules you would use elsewhere. Stop, find someone "in authority" i.e.: wearing a Disney CM badge, ask for help.

But write a contact no. on a label somewhere. Remember the CMs probably aren't allowed to search for it so bear that in mind. If it's not too late, maybe a mobile no. on his magic band in place of a name? But you would need to tell him it's there. Or inside his shoe.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
How old is your godson? Assuming he's 4+ I would talk to him right at the start about following the same kind of rules you would use elsewhere. Stop, find someone "in authority" i.e.: wearing a Disney CM badge, ask for help.

But write a contact no. on a label somewhere. Remember the CMs probably aren't allowed to search for it so bear that in mind. If it's not too late, maybe a mobile no. on his magic band in place of a name? But you would need to tell him it's there. Or inside his shoe.
These are great ideas. He will 8yo by the time we're in WDW. I'll definitely point out the CMs. He'd be "upset"/disappointed if his MB doesn't have his name on it. I was thinking of getting him a lanyard and putting my picture and/or business card in it (which does have the number to the cell phone I'll have on me in the parks) and instructing him accordingly.

I guess I'm just nervous because it's not my child and I would go nuts if something happened to him. I remember when I was a child, my mom took us to Blockbuster (definitely just showed my age)to get these in case of emergency cards that sort of looked like driver's licenses.

DisneyGigi

This is something we were just discussing. What I wondered ,is if they are wearing a magicband, can it not be scanned and Disney alert the contact number the reservation was made in? I would think so. Nothing we would have worried about with our kids or youngest grandson, but our older grandson, has sensory issues (possibly autisim, but they have not diagnosed yet) but he darts like crazy sometimes without hearing a word anyone is saying. :-/ In a grocery store, you can figure that out and catch up, but not in a Disney Crowd. We are having to put a lot more thought into what ifs. In our case, even though he is too old for a stroller, IMO, (almost 5) we really will have to use one with him. Kind of a lesson in, don't judge, unless you know the circumstances- I had to learn from experience with him.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
What I'm thinking about doing is pointing out the CMs in their uniforms/costumes as well as putting some sort of tag on his shoe. This way, if "I" get lost, he can show it to a cast member and they can call me.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
They worked well for us. They would only last a day or two, but with sunscreen and baths that's as long as we gave them. We had the printed kind, but I think the write on are supposed to be good too.
I would definitely get the printed kind. Thanks!

mousehockey37

What I'm thinking about doing is pointing out the CMs in their uniforms/costumes as well as putting some sort of tag on his shoe. This way, if "I" get lost, he can show it to a cast member and they can call me.

The only thing with that, is... say you're in the Magic Kingdom. There's SOOO many different CM's wearing different outfits.

Here's an idea.... Make an "explorer badge" button. Put his name and your phone number on it. Tack it to his shirt. Everyone wears buttons in Disney and CM's DO look at them and respond, so it's a visual that a CM WILL SEE.

Instruct him to get to the entrance of ANY ride, there's always a CM there. It's a solid location then for you to get to when called. It's easier to find the entrance to the queue for Splash Mountain than the hot dog cart near this kiosk over by that bridge, yada yada yada...

Amidala

When I was a CM at MK, I was told that kids under a certain age (I'm trying to remember the age exactly, but I'm assuming he's in this age range) are taken to Baby Care on Main Street. From what I've heard, there's a room in the back with a television and things to play with, so he would have something to occupy himself w/ (and maybe be a little less afraid), so that would be the first place I would check if the two of you are separated! CMs are always on the lookout for children without parents, so while it won't hurt to try an extra precaution or two, it seems pretty likely he would end up at Baby Care (there's one at every park iirc).

Minnie1986

Original Poster
The only thing with that, is... say you're in the Magic Kingdom. There's SOOO many different CM's wearing different outfits.

Here's an idea.... Make an "explorer badge" button. Put his name and your phone number on it. Tack it to his shirt. Everyone wears buttons in Disney and CM's DO look at them and respond, so it's a visual that a CM WILL SEE.

Instruct him to get to the entrance of ANY ride, there's always a CM there. It's a solid location then for you to get to when called. It's easier to find the entrance to the queue for Splash Mountain than the hot dog cart near this kiosk over by that bridge, yada yada yada...
True. He'll also be wearing a first time button, so I was thinking of writing my phone number, etc on the back and instruct him to show them the back if the unfortunate happens.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
When I was a CM at MK, I was told that kids under a certain age (I'm trying to remember the age exactly, but I'm assuming he's in this age range) are taken to Baby Care on Main Street. From what I've heard, there's a room in the back with a television and things to play with, so he would have something to occupy himself w/ (and maybe be a little less afraid), so that would be the first place I would check if the two of you are separated! CMs are always on the lookout for children without parents, so while it won't hurt to try an extra precaution or two, it seems pretty likely he would end up at Baby Care (there's one at every park iirc).
Thanks for the inside info!

mousehockey37

True. He'll also be wearing a first time button, so I was thinking of writing my phone number, etc on the back and instruct him to show them the back if the unfortunate happens.

Leave it on the front. If he were to get separated, and be upset, he may not (and probly won't) be able to comprehend what's going on. If a CM were to ask some questions as to... are you lost? is this number here for your mommy or daddy? he could shake his head or whatever and they could call. As others have said, if CM's aren't allowed to search for info, you need to have it readily available to them. Granted it's not your kid, but he'd be getting help (answering to if it's mom or dad's number).

Just make it a Disney themed button so that it fits in with the first visit button. And being if they get lost, Adventure is out there! ;) it'll fit perfectly.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Leave it on the front. If he were to get separated, and be upset, he may not (and probly won't) be able to comprehend what's going on. If a CM were to ask some questions as to... are you lost? is this number here for your mommy or daddy? he could shake his head or whatever and they could call. As others have said, if CM's aren't allowed to search for info, you need to have it readily available to them. Granted it's not your kid, but he'd be getting help (answering to if it's mom or dad's number).

Just make it a Disney themed button so that it fits in with the first visit button. And being if they get lost, Adventure is out there! ;) it'll fit perfectly.
Very good point. This kid shuts down when in panic mode. I may go with this or the ID on the shoe, so all he'll have to do is literally point down to his foot.

correcaminos

We never wrote anything down on the kids when we went, but I will say something that is good, have a picture taken in the morning. That way you have a visual for them and what they are wearing.

We've been traveling with a kid about that age (he's 9 now) and honestly they are smart cookies at that age. I think even with different costumes for CMs, the kids would know how to find someone who works there. Their costumes are totally different than regular street clothing.

Make sure they know your name and at least where you are staying. If you can have your cell phone somewhere attached you'll have more than you need. They make sure they do everything to calm the kids. Love how they do the whole "parents lost" and not the child.

You also could likely write in permanent marker your name and number in his band. That way it would be there or if it got lost itself it could easily be found.

That said in all the years we have gone with children (going on 10 years now) we've never lost one. I had my 4yo at the time bolt out of a restaurant and sat waiting for me. You'd think that would cause me to remember to bring something with our phone number but we forgot every year. Knowing names helped me relax though.

buseegal

These are great ideas. He will 8yo by the time we're in WDW. I'll definitely point out the CMs. He'd be "upset"/disappointed if his MB doesn't have his name on it. I was thinking of getting him a lanyard and putting my picture and/or business card in it (which does have the number to the cell phone I'll have on me in the parks) and instructing him accordingly.

I guess I'm just nervous because it's not my child and I would go nuts if something happened to him. I remember when I was a child, my mom took us to Blockbuster (definitely just showed my age)to get these in case of emergency cards that sort of looked like driver's licenses.
one thing else is to take a picture of him on your phone each morning as you head to park. this will help you know what he is wearing. I work for a small park not Disney and I remember a parent very upset when security had the child but would not take mom to him because she was sure he was wearing one color of shirt when he was wearing a completely different color. took dad to come and show mom that he had the other color of shirt with a picture he had taken that day. mom was still saying he had the color she said. took an extra 15 minutes to be reunited because she was so sure. security is exta sure they have the right parents

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom