Disneyland Half Marathon

kevlightyear

Has RunDisney switched to PhotoPass photographers for Disneyland races as well? If so, does anyone know if I could get MaxPass for a day and get the photos from the race? I'm assuming my WDW AP doesn't get me PhotoPass downloads at Disneyland, correct?

Mark P.

Has RunDisney switched to PhotoPass photographers for Disneyland races as well? If so, does anyone know if I could get MaxPass for a day and get the photos from the race? I'm assuming my WDW AP doesn't get me PhotoPass downloads at Disneyland, correct?
Yes, you should be (that's what I'm planning to do), and that's correct.

Texas84

MaxPass: If you didn't purchase it with your park pass you have to enter a park to add it. Hopefully if I add MaxPass after the race I can get the photos. Maybe the event guide will clarify.

Texas84

Bling.
DLH2017.jpg

dreamfinder

It's kind of interesting that the lanyards all say "Celebrating PIXAR". Seems to be the phrasing used for more a short term/one year theme than calling it the PIXAR DLR Half.

kevlightyear

I'm used to the 5K and 10K medals being all-in on the theme, but the half medal doesn't really represent Disneyland at all. That's a departure from past years, and kind of disappointing. I do love Toy Story, though, so that makes up for it a bit. I really like the Luxo Double Dare medal, but once again it has nothing to do with Disneyland.

It does kinda seem like this is the Pixar Half Marathon Weekend (which would be an awesome race weekend) but at the expense of losing the Disneyland Half we've come to know. It's like they don't want the DL Half Weekend to have an identity of it's own.

Pure speculation, but maybe they really are trying to get a marathon. Then the Disneyland Marathon Weekend could consume the DL Half Marathon and Labor Day weekend will become the Pixar Half Weekend? I'd actually be on board with that. Although I've told myself I won't be running any more marathons, if Disneyland gets one, it'd be hard to pass up.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm used to the 5K and 10K medals being all-in on the theme, but the half medal doesn't really represent Disneyland at all. That's a departure from past years, and kind of disappointing. I do love Toy Story, though, so that makes up for it a bit. I really like the Luxo Double Dare medal, but once again it has nothing to do with Disneyland.

It does kinda seem like this is the Pixar Half Marathon Weekend (which would be an awesome race weekend) but at the expense of losing the Disneyland Half we've come to know. It's like they don't want the DL Half Weekend to have an identity of it's own.

Pure speculation, but maybe they really are trying to get a marathon. Then the Disneyland Marathon Weekend could consume the DL Half Marathon and Labor Day weekend will become the Pixar Half Weekend? I'd actually be on board with that. Although I've told myself I won't be running any more marathons, if Disneyland gets one, it'd be hard to pass up.

There's a rumor on one of the other Disney boards that RD is planning just that, a full marathon at DLR. But @dreamfinder pointed out that would be an issue since a substantial portion of the race would be run on city streets.

FerretAfros

I've run DL1/2 annually since 2011, and this is the most dramatic change in courses I've seen. Unlike WDW, where many of the courses stay the same for years on end, DL's tend to have minor tweaks in them, especially through the parks. While this still hits all the highlights (and plenty of the lowlights) from the past, this seems like a substantially different course
  • The course through the parks varies slightly each year, but it seems like we'll be doing much of DL "backwards" from previous year. The distance within the parks looks like it's about the same as normal, but there will be less time backstage, leading to less overall time on Disney property
  • Typically, the course exits backstage at the northwest corner of property, and turns east along Ball Rd to Anaheim Blvd. Instead, we will be exiting near Main Street (hopefully avoiding that very-narrow path in front of the Costuming building that they've favored for races in recent years) and then heading mostly-south through the Resort District, before rejoining the 'normal' course on Cerritos Ave. This appears to be the most drastic change
  • The course no longer goes around the Honda Center and down the Santa Ana River Trail, presumably to bypass the growing homeless population along the river. It will go straight past the Honda Center and continue into the Angels Stadium parking lot. We'll run through the stadium in the opposite direction from the past
  • In another major change, the return from the stadium is also very different than in the past. It echoes the Avengers course, which also passes through the Toy Story lot. Also worth noting, we'll run along Katella rather than through the semi-backstage bypass road, which should mean more opportunities for spectators along the course, rather than the long isolated stretch starting at mile 12
DL1/2 has one of my least favorite courses of any race I've done more than once, (Why do I keep doing it? ...frankly, I really don't know, it's a deeply flawed event in a variety of ways) so I'm very open to change. While this may or may not be an improvement from the past, it certainly isn't a downgrade. Other than the addition of the Toy Story lot, we should spend more time in scenic areas than the past, and it will be different enough to feel fresh, while still getting all of the typical iconic moments. It will be interesting to see how the paid "volunteers" factor into the event this time around too

Also is it just me, or did they move the start time up to 5am, from 5:30? This race is always a "beat the heat" situation, so I'm fine with an extra 30 minutes of relative comfort, but that seems like a departure from the past. The new course configuration will allow Harbor Blvd to reopen to through-traffic north of Katella earlier, so that may also be a consideration

Mark P.

Also is it just me, or did they move the start time up to 5am, from 5:30?
As I understand it that change was at the request of Anaheim officials as a condition of granting the race permit, but I could be wrong. I'll appreciate the earlier start since we will still be operating on Eastern time for the weekend anyway, as long as they can work out the issues at the security checkpoint that I've been reading so much about that plagued Tinker Bell weekend...

Greenlawler

DW and I have run the DL since the first year of Dumbo.

I am still very disappointed....
a.) They changed the name
b.) They never actually brought out Dumbo. (Whom I know they have back somewhere)

But I am still excited.

This is actually my favorite running event all year.

Mainly because DW and I splurge and stay at the DL Hotel which is my favorite place on earth.

I have never loved the course but I do tend to run faster out there, because I am trying to get it over with.

LAKid53

Premium Member
@surfsupdon or @Greenlawler,

Can either of you give us an update once you've completed your race(s) with regards to staging, security, corral check-in, disappearing crew, not properly staffing hydration/fuel stations, crews eating runners food boxes, etc, i.e., all the things that were problems at Tinkerbell? Not as concerned about characters on the course as much as I am the other problems. And comments on the route, especially the portions on city streets. Have plans to run in Light Side, but the issues from Tinkerbell have given me pause, especially if rD hasn't addressed and fixed them.

I'm staying at the Grand Californian, so hopefully going thru security and getting to my corral on time won't be an issue. Only running the Half.

Thanks!

And good luck to both of you.

PS - hoping to see another photo of those flamingo socks Don... :D

Texas84

Actually glad to hear they removed the 'river' run. Running through that cloud of dust is not pleasant.

I'm a bit nervous about this one because Light Side was such a disorganized mess with the new security. But it was still volunteer so the race and the finish was flawless.

@LAKid53 I'll try to post an update when I get back but I'll probably go to the parks and forget any bad stuff. :)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Actually glad to hear they removed the 'river' run. Running through that cloud of dust is not pleasant.

I'm a bit nervous about this one because Light Side was such a disorganized mess with the new security. But it was still volunteer so the race and the finish was flawless.

@LAKid53 I'll try to post an update when I get back but I'll probably go to the parks and forget any bad stuff. :)

River, what river? There's a river in Anaheim? The only river I remember is the LA River, which is really just a huge storm water drain for what used to be a river....

RunningKoen

I'm really curious about this weekend aswell. I hope to run in Cali in 2018, but so far, the news and rumours since Tinkerbell '17 aren't that great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom