World Showcase Ride Ideas

KCheatle

Original Poster
Let's help out those Imagineers trolling these forums ;) What are ride concepts that you have thought would fit well in the Epcot World Showcase?

For example, I think a ride like Grizzly River Run at California Adventure would work well in Canada. They already have the cool rock formations for it. I think either an Alice in Wonderland ride (like the one in Disneyland) or a ride where you ride along on Mary Poppins umbrella and see the sights of London or something would be cool in the UK. We obviously have the Remy now going in France. Morocco should have had the Aladdin carpets (I think they cramp Adventureland's style). In any event, they should definitely put some spitting camels in Morocco that cool you off as you walk toward Japan. :) Japan should have a roller coaster. I know it was supposed to, and I think it still should, but it should be based on the Bullet train. I'm not sure the US needs one since The American Adventure is the best thing ever (seriously, I cry every time). I've said before on these threads that I think Italy should have a gondola ride. However, I also think it would be cool to have an Alps themed log flume in between Italy and Germany since both countries share the Alps. China's getting a new video, so I don't think any ride there is happening, and Norway and Mexico already have rides.

What ideas do you all have??

BigDave

Japan- Mt Fuji rollercoaster (not my original idea) or Germany Bobsleds.
UK- Mary Poppins boat ride

American- not a ride, but would like to see a Native American Village attached to the side. Could rotate tribes to showcase their heritage, art, music, dance, food, etc like every 6 months. Think this would be huge to incorporate this culture.

Amidala

I really like this idea! Shows more of the "real" american culture!

I definitely agree! As it is, Liberty Square and Epcot's America have a very similar vibe to me, with both focusing on British-occupied early colonial America. It wouldn't hurt to add some new dimensions to at least one of the two! Showcasing some Native American culture and/or immigrants of later years would make Disney's America feel a lot less narrow. I can't think of many IPs that would fit, if it came to that. American-based IPs like Lady and the Tramp, Princess and the Frog seem to belong in MK more (Main Street and Fantasyland respectively) and others like Oliver & Company are way too modern to make sense there.

KCheatle

Original Poster
I definitely agree! As it is, Liberty Square and Epcot's America have a very similar vibe to me, with both focusing on British-occupied early colonial America. It wouldn't hurt to add some new dimensions to at least one of the two! Showcasing some Native American culture and/or immigrants of later years would make Disney's America feel a lot less narrow. I can't think of many IPs that would fit, if it came to that. American-based IPs like Lady and the Tramp, Princess and the Frog seem to belong in MK more (Main Street and Fantasyland respectively) and others like Oliver & Company are way too modern to make sense there.

Pocahontas :)

Amidala

I have a feeling Pocahontas would be too controversial. Pocahontas's real history isn't very Disney-friendly, but trying to repurpose the film plot would kind of defeat the point of a Native American edutainment attraction. I wouldn't mind Pocahontas seeing some representation elsewhere in WDW, where the intent is just to entertain, not to inform–if that makes sense.

Super on board with a Poppins ride in UK, though! I've heard rumors that AiW, Peter Pan and Mary Poppins have all been on the table at some point, but who knows. I would also love to see a Mulan attraction (aside from the meet-and-greet) over in the China pavilion. It seems like such an obvious choice!

Megamazing

In the Parks
Yes
I have a feeling Pocahontas would be too controversial. Pocahontas's real history isn't very Disney-friendly, but trying to repurpose the film plot would kind of defeat the point of a Native American edutainment attraction. I wouldn't mind Pocahontas seeing some representation elsewhere in WDW, where the intent is just to entertain, not to inform–if that makes sense.

Super on board with a Poppins ride in UK, though! I've heard rumors that they're AiW, Peter Pan and Mary Poppins have all been on the table at some point, but who knows.

Agreed. I mean really, most history that we're taught when it comes to Native Americans isn't accurate at all (Thanksgiving for example ahah.) but I think Pocahontas somewhere ELSE in the parks would be really cool. And I would love a Poppins ride!

NiarrNDisney

I have always thought a Carousel would be nice in Showcase Plaza

I wish the would put they Rhine River ride back on the table for Germany

I would like to see new ride experiences/technology instead of everything being boat rides and movies

Lastly can the World ShowPlace event Pavilion and the Outpost go already and be replaced with a new countries

Last edited:

World_Showcase_Lover007

I think a Venice-style gondola ride in the Italy pavilion is a pretty obvious selection, and people love boat rides, so I don't know why Imagineers did build this one from the get-go.I think every pavilion should have an attraction, even if it's simple like Rio del Tiempo in Mexico. Without an attraction, the pavilions are just restaurants and inauthentic shops, with a couple of facades (see current Italy pavilion).

I always think of Michael Eisners reaction of seeing the plans for the Morroco pavilion. He was outraged and said something along the lines of how he couldn't believe that Imagineers could spent 100+ million dollars without installing an attraction/ride in the expansion space. And I see his point, we want rides!

Karakasa

I'm actually working on a concept for a ride to go in the Japan pavilion, either an E or D-ticket style dark ride, with a couple of cool AA ideas. I'm facing some hiccups due to learning trackless rides can't move up ramps... so I'll probably have to retool it some. There really is not as much room back in the Japan pavilion as I thought in spite of there supposedly having been room for Meet the World... I wonder if there was a Mitsukoshi expansion between the original opening date of Epcot and the first time I went there... Still trying to decide if I should update it to a thrill ride akin to DINOSAUR or keep it more a slow-paced ride as I originally intended.

As a preview, it involves going through the rural Japanese countryside and encountering legendary Japanese monsters. Kappa and yukionna and such.

spacemt354

Chili's
For example, I think a ride like Grizzly River Run at California Adventure would work well in Canada. They already have the cool rock formations for it.
Nice thread!

I had a very similar idea a while back (a rapids ride through the Canadian forest/mountains called Klondike River Excursions). I agree - a water ride like that would be such a great addition!

Here's the post http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/canada-pavilion-klondike-river-excursions.925926/
5560818286772342961%253Faccount_id%253D9

Miru

For Japan, an interactive Kingdom Hearts ride would be fun. Cast spells using mounted keyblades on the vehicles and slice and dice Heartless!

And I second Pocahontas being used in American Adventure. But I think Gargoyles might work better.

wazowski_216

Japan, Italy, Germany, UK and China are my big focuses here

Japan: Meet The World was a show about the history of Japan. Was supposed to be an opening day attraction at WS, opened in Tokyo
Italy: Pinocchio Ride. Similar to splash Mountain
Germany: Snow White or Rhine River Cruise
UK: Alice from Disneyland
China: Mulan Ride

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom