Formal Night

tk924

When the DCL website inserts the word "optional" for attire on 7-day rides, then all bets are off. It all comes down to personal preference and some people just prefer not to get dressed up while on their vacation. It shouldn't be too hard to understand that especially in today's liberal "anything goes" world.
We do like to go cruise casual during every night of our cruise though. DCL dining rooms are not fast food restaurants. It never fails that we see at least one family each night that looks like they just came in off the beach. While we wouldn't do that, to each his own. That's not going to ruin my vacation.

C&D

"It's more like guidelines, I think" :) arr

p.s. generally, my wife and I dress up (jacket and tie or suit for me).

Phonedave

If no one cared about formal night, then the cruise lines would do away with them. When the cruise lines stop advertising formal or dress up nights there will no longer be a need for this type of conversation. Until then, the point remains that the cruise lines sell people a vacation with a formal night, with a published dress code where they am told and therefor expect everyone else in that dining room, on that night and that night only, to be dressed in accordance with the published dress code. It is the fault of the cruise line for not enforcing their own policies as well as the fault of the people who feel they are above the stated policy, whatever the policy is on each different line.

There are multiple other restaurants and buffets on cruise ships for those who don't want to "dress up" to the code for that one night only.

From the DCL website.
7-night cruises:
  • First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops
  • One pirate night or other themed deck party
  • 3 additional cruise casual nights—no swimwear or tank tops
  • One formal and one semi-formal night—both give you the opportunity to dress up and take advantage of the onboard photography services. Though optional, we recommend dress pants with a jacket or a suit for men, and dress or pantsuit for women
Dress Codes for Palo and Remy, Adults-Only Restaurants for Guests 18 and Older

So that we may provide an enjoyable and refined dining experience for all Guests, please be advised that tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, shorts, hats, cut-offs, torn clothing, t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics, flip-flops or tennis shoes are not permitted at Palo or Remy.

Exactly,

I don't understand how some people do not get this. It is the atmosphere that some people (such as myself) enjoy. Having people "dressed down" takes away from that atmosphere. I enjoy a formal atmosphere. I also have no desire to have my picture taken with any of the characters.

On our first DCL cruise, my daughters and I had table mates. On semi-formal night, we dressed appropriately (light dresses for them, and a sport coat for me) our table mates showed up in sandals, shorts, and t-shirts (the husband, wife, and kids). they made some sort of comment like "wow, you really go all out for this", and then we had a very uncomfortable dinner.

Either DCL has to start enforcing the dress code (there are plenty of other options for people to dine at if they don't want to dress up. and as far as @jaklgreen comment about "we all paid for the cruise, and we should all be able to eat in the same restaruant" Yes, we all paid for a cruise, and the rules were told to all of us 'There will be a formal night" I paid for a formal night with a dress code - that is what I (and all other passengers) should get.

If DCL chooses to not enforce the dress code, then eliminate any mention of formal night, and stop pretneding to have one. DCL tries very hard to walk that line between "its a kids cruise" and "adults on their own can enjoy the cruise as well". In the case of formal night, they are really tipping over to the "kids" side.

jaklgreen

If no one cared about formal night, then the cruise lines would do away with them. When the cruise lines stop advertising formal or dress up nights there will no longer be a need for this type of conversation. Until then, the point remains that the cruise lines sell people a vacation with a formal night, with a published dress code where they am told and therefor expect everyone else in that dining room, on that night and that night only, to be dressed in accordance with the published dress code. It is the fault of the cruise line for not enforcing their own policies as well as the fault of the people who feel they are above the stated policy, whatever the policy is on each different line.

There are multiple other restaurants and buffets on cruise ships for those who don't want to "dress up" to the code for that one night only.

From the DCL website.
7-night cruises:
  • First night is cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops
  • One pirate night or other themed deck party
  • 3 additional cruise casual nights—no swimwear or tank tops
  • One formal and one semi-formal night—both give you the opportunity to dress up and take advantage of the onboard photography services. Though optional, we recommend dress pants with a jacket or a suit for men, and dress or pantsuit for women
Dress Codes for Palo and Remy, Adults-Only Restaurants for Guests 18 and Older

So that we may provide an enjoyable and refined dining experience for all Guests, please be advised that tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, shorts, hats, cut-offs, torn clothing, t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics, flip-flops or tennis shoes are not permitted at Palo or Remy.

Well what I meant by who cares, is why would you care about what someone else is wearing. As long as they are not offensive then it does not matter what someone is wearing. Do you really go around all of the tables and check under the table cloths to see if someone is wearing dress pants or shorts. Its ridiculous to even suggest that what someone is wearing 4 tables down from you is some how going to ruin your dinner. By your own post quoting Disney, It is optional. The only reason the cruise has a "formal" night is so they can sell more photos.

pilka214

Ok, I understand your other comment better now, and I agree.

We will be on NCL soon.. I've heard it's such a variety of dress..I purchased a dining package, and am still planning on wearing cocktail attire to dinner, kiddo will wear slacks and a button up, or a vneck and a jacket.. but am very curious to see what this "freestyle" thing is in action, and if we will be in the minority.

NCL heavily promotes their "freestyle cruising" concept. Basically do what you want to do when you want to do it. Eat when you want to, dress up when you want to etc. The crew have more formal attire, at least the cruise staff/ cruise director etc all wear suits/dresses. But norwegian's niche is feel free to do as you please.

Phonedave

Well what I meant by who cares, is why would you care about what someone else is wearing. As long as they are not offensive then it does not matter what someone is wearing. Do you really go around all of the tables and check under the table cloths to see if someone is wearing dress pants or shorts. Its ridiculous to even suggest that what someone is wearing 4 tables down from you is some how going to ruin your dinner. By your own post quoting Disney, It is optional. The only reason the cruise has a "formal" night is so they can sell more photos.

No, I don't go under the tables to check pants, but I do see them when people walk around.

I understand that some people are of the mindset - do what ever you wnat, I have my blinders on, I am not going ot notice you.

Me, I tend to take in the total atmosphere of the place. So yes, people who are not dressed up does spoil it for me. I am far from a snob about it it. If somebody is in a dress shirt and pants, thats OK. IT's kind of like when you klds room is a mess and you tell them to clean it up and they say "whats the big deal, it's my room, just don't look in it"

-dave

jaklgreen

No, I don't go under the tables to check pants, but I do see them when people walk around.

I understand that some people are of the mindset - do what ever you wnat, I have my blinders on, I am not going ot notice you.

Me, I tend to take in the total atmosphere of the place. So yes, people who are not dressed up does spoil it for me. I am far from a snob about it it. If somebody is in a dress shirt and pants, thats OK. IT's kind of like when you klds room is a mess and you tell them to clean it up and they say "whats the big deal, it's my room, just don't look in it"

-dave

Except it's your house so you have a right to have a clean room. You don't own the cruise line. I am actually really curious as to how it "spoils" it for you? Is it so disturbing that you can not eat? Or do you still eat but grumble about it the whole time? Are you not able to enjoy your family's company because someone has shorts on? You keep talking about the atmosphere, it's a Disney cruise full of kids, not someplace I would look to go for a "formal atmosphere". I am sure you are a wonderful intelligent man, but you are being a bit silly about this.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
That's all well and good when there is only 1 of you. But I travel with my daughters so that would be 3 extra pairs of dress up shoes(and they are adult size 10 and 11, we have big feet), plus 3 extra "fancy" outfits. All for just an hour and a half of sitting and eating. When we go on the cruise, we stay at WDW for a week also. So the 3 of us need to pack for 2 weeks and we only take 2 suitcases because that is all that fits in the trunk of our car to get to and from the airport. My "formal" wear is a pair of slacks and a blouse anyway ( I don't wear dresses or skirts)so I just wear some capri pants and a nicer shirt that is not a regular t-shirt. Honestly, I don't think that I ever really paid attention to what others around me are wearing. Who cares? Formal night is becoming a thing of the past and the people that stick out are the ones that actually dress up now.
Well, that's why these were invented. I'm sure FedEx or UPS would be happy to send this down to Port Canaveral (or whichever port you're embarking from) for you.
steamer_trunk.jpg

jaklgreen

Well, that's why these were invented. I'm sure FedEx or UPS would be happy to send this down to Port Canaveral (or whichever port you're embarking from) for you.
steamer_trunk.jpg

You're right, or I can just get my butler to have one of the footmen carry it on their back all the way from my house in NE to the ship. Great idea! :p

pezgirlroy

I will just say I am very glad that there will be a formal night and a semi-formal night on our cruise. That is something I look forward to. My husband asked if he had to wear a suit and I said well it is not required and it is up to you. His response was well it seems like something you should do on a cruise. As a full time working parent with two small kids, I don't often have a chance to dress up so happy when I do. I will say that it does bother me a bit when people do not dress up. I understand the arguments but that is my thought.

jaklgreen

If you don't want to dress up that night... the boat has plenty of other dining options.
What do you mean other options. Are you saying that those who choose not do dress formally should eat somewhere other then the main dining rooms, even though Disney clearly states that it is optional? It would be a really empty dining room. I don't think they would be able to handle that many people at Cabanas for dinner.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What do you mean other options. Are you saying that those who choose not do dress formally should eat somewhere other then the main dining rooms, even though Disney clearly states that it is optional? It would be a really empty dining room. I don't think they would be able to handle that many people at Cabanas for dinner.

yes that's what I'm saying. The discussion has been about formal night and it's use... not what Disney will ultimately enforce (as that's been covered right at the start). There is no need for Disney to lower the bar when they already have alternatives.

Cabanas already handles the entire ship moving through in lunch period... it could handle half the boat moving through at dinner periods.

jaklgreen

yes that's what I'm saying. The discussion has been about formal night and it's use... not what Disney will ultimately enforce (as that's been covered right at the start). There is no need for Disney to lower the bar when they already have alternatives.

Cabanas already handles the entire ship moving through in lunch period... it could handle half the boat moving through at dinner periods.

But at dinner, Cabana's is not a buffet but a table service. And it's not that Disney is not enforcing some dress code, they clearly state it is optional. Big difference. Disney wants people in their main dining rooms, that is where they have the set up to feed most of the ship's guests. With the amount of people that do not dress up on formal night, there is no way that Cabanas would be able to handle it. And seriously, the "formal night" has nothing to do with dressing up nice for dinner, but all about them selling photos. They could care less what you wear to dinner.

jaklgreen

I don't know why you would say it is "dumbed down". It's not like they are putting the feed trough out and are throwing slop on your plate. This is ludicrous to think that someone wearing slacks and a polo instead of a suit and tie has any impact on other diners. Like all Mother's since the beginning of time have said, "if you don't like what you see, then don't look at it".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom