Doctor Who

Luigi

She is an amazing actror and I think it is a brilliant choice. Cannot wait to see what she bring to the role.

As for a Doctor Who attraction? YES please. A nice deal with the BBC should do the trick.

If you recall, DisneyXD toyed with the idea of showing Doctor Who reruns a few years back.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
I never finished Twelve's first series. Nine was my favorite Doctor, but I also really loved Ten. I liked Eleven's first series, but then it all went downhill in terms of writing (IMO). I watch too much TV as it is, but I'm intrigued. If the writing's there, and the reviews are good, I'll probably check it out.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Yes!! I've been trying to explain this to friends. The show lost some of it's charm with the upgrade to HD and better CGI. Dodgy looking villains are what made the show so enjoyable.
I was saying the same thing the other day.
Bring back polystyrene boulders and rubber suit monsters ( and also Tom Baker) and i will watch once more.
Also side note. 007 hasn't been the same since Moore left.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
20106282_1653775677975766_8222631558227997939_n.jpg

Princess Leia

Original Poster
38 years after Ripley
254cc9dc5b34c2467f2282c20b2d6758--sf-movies-movies-free.jpg

40 years after Leia
open-uri20150608-27674-1ly2wd_eb4b4064.jpeg

Don't consider Leia as the main character of the trio? (I guess that's technically Luke even though Leia and Han have just as much to do)

It's only 2 years since Rey came along.

I know that there's always a 'change is bad' feeling when there's a new Doctor. I hated Ten when Nine regenerated, but now he's one of my favorite doctors. I had a feeling that Thirteen would either be a woman or someone who isn't white, and I think it's an exciting change. I'd rather not judge Thirteen until a few episodes into her first series.

Daveeeeed

So dumb. The way you do it is introduce new characters like Star Wars did with Rey if you want more female characters. But there are a lot more than they are giving credit for... When you recast characters by changing their gender it completely changes who they are. Could you imagine Ellen Ripley as a guy? If would be a very different Cinderella then, or Rey from Star Wars as a guy. Just an all around tacky move.

Whether or not her performance is good is irrelevant, they completely changed who the character is. Again, Imagine if Tony Stark was a women and Wonder Women was a guy.

Politically correct changes like this baffle me. They did it with Ghostbusters (of course that movie was just bad either way), but unfortunately they erased the entire existence of the original characters only to reboot it with unoriginal and boring all female lead for political reasons that unfortunately ruined the franchise's great start by once again erasing it. All they had to do was have them working for the Ghostbusters, or being a new Ghostbusters group, but when people attempt to change who the characters are, or erase them for political reasons... that's a problem. Of course, then Sony goes on to blame its bad reaction for it being an all female cast and calling people sexist. Well no, I'm sorry Sony if we offended you by calling out a terrible film, and a bad idea to erase the characters from existence, but you made a bad product with a bad idea, and I hope BBC does not do that.

Doctor Who did it but honestly I'm betting that it will be most likely worse towards the character itself. Hopefully it will be a high quality show, but obviously There's absolutely zero things wrong with a female lead, but it's not Doctor Who anymore. It's a different Doctor Who now. Why go through the trouble of changing the whole character, and instead why not just make a new character like a Robin to Batman or something? I guarantee you if this season is bad script wise, this move was done to generate a stir on social media to get people to watch it and hopefully make money off of it.

I've only seen part of a season, so I'm by no means a fan, but as someone who is a potential costumer/fan, why do this when it's obviously going to alienate the audience? Imagine if they decided to make Goofy a girl for kicks and giggles:p.

Daveeeeed

38 years after Ripley
254cc9dc5b34c2467f2282c20b2d6758--sf-movies-movies-free.jpg

40 years after Leia
open-uri20150608-27674-1ly2wd_eb4b4064.jpeg

Don't consider Leia as the main character of the trio? (I guess that's technically Luke even though Leia and Han have just as much to do)

It's only 2 years since Rey came along.

I know that there's always a 'change is bad' feeling when there's a new Doctor. I hated Ten when Nine regenerated, but now he's one of my favorite doctors. I had a feeling that Thirteen would either be a woman or someone who isn't white, and I think it's an exciting change. I'd rather not judge Thirteen until a few episodes into her first series.

I feel like they are taking away from these legendary performances by doing this. I don't like to judge things early, but if it is like the other franchises that have done this it is not a good sign. I'd rather be surprised, but I still feel they should have some originality and make a new character instead of being a hand-me-down that was originally a guy's character. And to make it worse Doctor Who still seems very relative and in his prime. I can see them attempting this in 15 years when the character will more than likely not be as popular, since after all Hollywood is lacking creativity today, or better put, reboots with beloved characters are usually lower risk.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
So dumb. The way you do it is introduce new characters like Star Wars did with Rey if you want more female characters. But there are a lot more than they are giving credit for... When you recast characters by changing their gender it completely changes who they are. Could you imagine Ellen Ripley as a guy? If would be a very different Cinderella then, or Rey from Star Wars as a guy. Just an all around tacky move.

Whether or not her performance is good is irrelevant, they completely changed who the character is. Again, Imagine if Tony Stark was a women and Wonder Women was a guy.

Politically correct changes like this baffle me. They did it with Ghostbusters (of course that movie was just bad either way), but unfortunately they erased the entire existence of the original characters only to reboot it with unoriginal and boring all female lead for political reasons that unfortunately ruined the franchise's great start by once again erasing it. All they had to do was have them working for the Ghostbusters, or being a new Ghostbusters group, but when people attempt to change who the characters are, or erase them for political reasons... that's a problem. Of course, then Sony goes on to blame its bad reaction for it being an all female cast and calling people sexist. Well no, I'm sorry Sony if we offended you by calling out a terrible film, and a bad idea to erase the characters from existence, but you made a bad product with a bad idea, and I hope BBC does not do that.

Doctor Who did it but honestly I'm betting that it will be most likely worse towards the character itself. Hopefully it will be a high quality show, but obviously There's absolutely zero things wrong with a female lead, but it's not Doctor Who anymore. It's a different Doctor Who now. Why go through the trouble of changing the whole character, and instead why not just make a new character like a Robin to Batman or something? I guarantee you if this season is bad script wise, this move was done to generate a stir on social media to get people to watch it and hopefully make money off of it.

I've only seen part of a season, so I'm by no means a fan, but as someone who is a potential costumer/fan, why do this when it's obviously going to alienate the audience? Imagine if they decided to make Goofy a girl for kicks and giggles:p.
Since Time Lords can change their entire appearance when they regenerate ("Still not ginger"), I never thought changing genders was out of the question. I think that part of the issue some people are having is that the Doctor isn't as asexual as he used to be. Sure, he'd been married and had kids (and at least one grandchild, Susan), but we never really saw him romancing anyone. Then Eight came along and kissed Grace. Nine flirted with Jack and Rose. Ten... flirted a lot lol Rose, Madame de Pompadour, Elizabeth I, and others I'm forgetting about. Eleven married River. And then from what I saw of Twelve, it was a return to form for the Doctor not getting involved with his companions. Thirteen could be like Twelve.

Oh Ghostbusters... With better writing, that could have been much, much better. That third act was a mess (though I loved watching Hemsworth hamming it up). I think the Honest Trailer of Ghostbusters said it best: "You can't all be Venkman".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom