Pre-Trip What are we thinking?

Two days ago the temps here in central Wisconsin reached 90 degrees with 1,000% humidity (well, not really - but you get the point!). So this got me to thinking about our upcoming trip to WDW in August! It was so unbearable when you walked outside, I wondered how we'll make it through our trip, especially since temps can easily reach above 90 in August in Florida! But I’m sure we’ll do just fine – I mean we will be in WDW!!!

So welcome to my first WDW PTR (I did a PTR for our cruise in February, but that’s different)!

This trip it will be just the three of us, myself – Chris, my husband – Brian and our daughter – Emily. I’ve read so many great trip reports over the past few months and so many of you have shared bits and pieces about yourselves, I wanted to share a little bit about us! (Fair warning – this is going to be text heavy, so if you’re interested in the details of the trip, you can skip to the next post:))

Me – I am an executive assistant at an insurance company and have been with the same company for 21 ½ years. I love my job and the people I work with, I'm so lucky! The thing I love about living in Wisconsin is the changing of the seasons. Yes, winters can get harsh, but the weather we have in spring and fall make up for the nastiness of winter! Plus it’s a good excuse to sit inside and sit by a fire:cold::happy:

My Disney obsession started as a child. In 1982 my grandmother (my dad's mom) took our entire family (14 of us:jawdrop:) down to Florida for a winter break. We all loaded up in one motorhome and drove the how ever many hours down to central Florida to meet up with some family friends (stopping along the way to sleep in motels). From there we went to Circus World (an amusement park in that area but closed in 1986), Cypress Gardens (now Lego Land) and then Magic Kingdom! I was only 9 at the time, so I don’t recall much of the first visit – only the few memories I see from pictures. But then our family moved to the Clearwater area in 1984 and we lived there for two years before moving back to Wisconsin. But whenever any of our family members came to visit from Wisconsin (my mom was one of 15 kids, so we had lots of aunts, uncles and cousins!), we would of course load up the car and drive the hour and a half to Magic Kingdom. I don’t know how many times we made it there, but I’m sure it was at least 15-20 over the course of 2 years. I only recall going to Epcot once as a child, but don’t have much for memories of that unfortunately. The only memory I recall is there was some attraction that had Michael Jackson in it:eek:

Fast forward to 1999 – that’s when Brian had his first visit and we only visited Magic Kingdom that visit. We also did Universal, but at the time, only Universal Studios was there (we did a trip with my family and went to visit friends we kept in touch with after moving back from Florida). After that visit, my next visit was in 2003. We had a trip planned, myself, my sister, my sister-in-law and my mom to go to Magic Kingdom and Sea World for a long weekend. My mom had been battling cancer for about 5 ½ years and unfortunately the prognosis for her was not good. My dad suggested the four of us go on a girls only trip and take my mom and enjoy ourselves, so we were excited to do this for her and planned a trip for September of 2003. Unfortunately we lost her in July:cry::cry::cry:, but my dad still insisted we all go on the trip. So we took one of her sisters with us and the four of us went. It was a hard trip to go on, but after going back and after having a daughter (Emily was 1 when I went on this trip), I knew I would have to go back with her and see WDW through the eyes of a child:inlove:

Brian is the UPS Man! He’s been with the company 27 years – yikes! How can that be when we’re only 29? As mentioned he and I went to MK in 1999. He did not enjoy it – WHAT??!:grumpy: That was the extent of any Disney vacation for him. He never went as a kid, so didn’t get the hype I suppose. This is a park for kids – so he said:rolleyes:

Emily just turned 15 in May. She will be starting 10th grade at the end of August and will be moving into a new school (middle school here is 7th through 9th grade and then high school is 10th through 12th grade – even though 9th is the technical start of high school). She’s excited but nervous, which is expected since two 9th grade classes from two schools merge into 10th grade, so the school and the classes are much larger – but she’ll be okay! She also has a job this summer working for my aunt who owns a greenhouse and she really enjoys it. She loves the paycheck every two weeks that's for sure;)

When Emily was 3, I really wanted to take her to WDW. I mentioned it (okay probably begged Brian – ha!) about taking her. He was reluctant at first, but he finally gave in and said sure, we’ll take her but don’t ask to go again for a really long time. Okay – I’m fine with that! So our first trip together as a family was in March of 2006. We hadn’t even finished that trip and Brian said, I think we should go again next year:hilarious::happy: And this trip in August will be our 9th trip together as a family since the time Brian said we would not go again for a long time!

Emily on her first trip to Disney:
Emily 2006.jpg

Out of the last 8 trips, they have all been just the three of us with the exception of our last trip in 2015. We were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. We were married on my dad’s birthday, so we thought it would be fun to have him join us on this trip. It was a very different trip for us, but I am happy that we were able to get my dad to WDW again. Here he is with "his two girls" as he calls us:happy: Emily has changed just a bit since 2006:joyfull:

Us and Dad.jpg

My dad really enjoyed himself as you can see from our ToT picture (you know how the photographer tells you to look like you're scared:hilarious:). It was fun to watch him have such a good time on the trip. I don't know how many times he thanked for us taking him along with us.
Studios.jpg

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: I just love this picture - the three adults are really getting into it but Emily seems too cool to act scared!

Unfortunately due to his health, I don’t think he’ll be able to make a trip back, so I am extremely grateful he was able to join us on our last trip.

My apologies that was so long. Next up – actual plans!

Last edited:

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
Our trip dates this year are August 19-25 and we will be staying at the Beach Club. We had gone back and forth about staying at the Yacht Club but after much discussion, the Beach Club won! We really enjoy the proximity of Epcot and Studios by staying at the Beach Club.

Saturday we fly out of Madison bright at early at 5:50 a.m. with a connection through Chicago and then land in Orlando at 11:15 a.m. Hop the Magical Express (this is our first time using it! We’ve always rented a car on every other trip, but the last two trips we hardly used it so we’re going to give this route a go!) and hoping to be at the resort by 12:15/12:30. Most likely our room will not be ready, so we’ll pack swimsuits in our carry-on bag and plan to just relax by the pool (weather permitting) until the room is ready. That evening we’ll stroll into Epcot. We have FP+ for Living with the Land at 5:30, Soarin’ at 6:50 and Spaceship Earth at 8:15. We have an ADR for La Hacienda de San Angel at 7:15, so we’ll have to get to Soarin’ right away and then hustle over for our ADR!

Sunday we’ll head over to Magic Kingdom in the morning. We have FP+ reservations for Thunder Mountain at 9:50, Splash Mountain at 11:00 and 7DMT 12:25-1:25. We also have a lunch ADR at BOG at 12:25 (this is the ONLY time I could get the entire time we’re there, but am trying to find a different time, but I think we can do it and then rush over to 7DMT before 1:25…we’ll see!). We don’t have a plan yet for the afternoon – most likely pool time (weather permitting) and then we have a late ADR at California Grill at 9:00 p.m. When we went in June of 2015, this is where we spent our anniversary and my dad’s birthday. We loved everything about it, so we knew we’d definitely want to get there again this trip and wanted to time it to see HEA (funny story, from someone who at one point said Disney is for kids – I told Brian of the plan to watch HEA from the California Grill and he said but we’re going to watch it one night inside the park too, right?:hilarious:)

Monday will be Studios – we have FP+ for TSMM at 9:20, ToT at 10:35 and Frozen Sing-Along at 12:00. We also have an ADR at Mama Melrose for the Fantasmic dining package at 1:30. After lunch we’ll probably head back to the resort, get some pool time in (weather permitting) and then had back to the Studios to catch whatever attractions we can and then head over to Fantasmic.

Tuesday we’ll be AK – we have FP+ for Kilimanjaro at 4:30, EE at 5:30 and then FoP at 6:35. I went with later in the day FP because 6:35 was the first available time for FoP that I could get so worked around that. We don’t have any ADR’s this day, so we may sleep in, head to the pool (weather permitting) and then head into AK mid-afternoon and spend the rest of the evening there. I would love to try Satu’li Canteen for dinner.

Wednesday we’re back in Epcot for morning FP+ - we have Figment at 9:55, Turtle Talk with Crush at 11:05 and then FEA at 12:05. Will bop around Future World in the morning and then after our FEA FP we’ll head back to the resort to hopefully get more pool time in (again, weather permitting!). We have a 7:30 ADR at Skipper Canteen, so we’ll plan to spend the evening in MK and per Brian, watch HEA inside the park;)!

Thursday – our last full day has us back in MK in the morning with FP+ at Space Mountain at 9:35, 7DMT at 10:35 and Splash Mountain at 12:00 – 1:00. We also have an ADR at Liberty Tree at 11:50, so I’m thinking we can have lunch and then head over to Splash before our time is up! Depending on the crowds and how much we have yet to see, we’ll hang out in MK until we see/do everything we want and then head back to the resort for one last pool day (fingers crossed). That evening, we’ll get everything packed up and ready for the morning, since the Tragical Express will take us away at 6:00 a.m.! So we’ll most likely head into Epcot for the evening or possibly Studios – who knows?

Friday – 6:00 a.m. on the bus we go to MCO! Our flight is at 9:00 a.m. with a connection through Chicago again and then we land in Madison at 1:30 p.m.

So that’s the plan as of today! Only 36 days to go!

DisneyGigi

I am so jealous of the Beach Club stay. Maybe next trip! I know what you mean about the heat, I thought to myself today if you are melting here at 90, wait til you get to Florida. We have been several times in late August, I think you get used to the heat about day 2, or at least that is what I always tell myself.

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
I am so jealous of the Beach Club stay. Maybe next trip! I know what you mean about the heat, I thought to myself today if you are melting here at 90, wait til you get to Florida. We have been several times in late August, I think you get used to the heat about day 2, or at least that is what I always tell myself.
I hope you can next trip - I think you'd really enjoy the resort. It has become our favorite. We have never been in August, so this will be a first for us. But I'm ready for the challenge:joyfull:

I love your plans! My suggestion would be to do 7DMT first, try and scan your band a few minutes early, and just be a few minutes late for BOG. That way you can enjoy your lunch without stressing about your FP.
Thanks! Great suggestion. We'll see if we can plan for that instead - thanks:)

Count me in on this PAR (Pre Adventure Report)
Will enjoy the ride and look forward to the AR later.

August in Florida - did it once,,,, once!

Max
Thanks Max - happy you're following along! I know, I know;) I may be saying the same thing after we get home:joyfull:

luvinthemajik

Hi, @gdisneyfans , You have a lovely family, I'm sure that it's been fun watching your daughter grow up in your WDW pics/memories, and your DH reminds me of my own, starts out Grumpy, ends up, Happy!!.
We are heading back home, this time to SSR, in 2 days, I've been Pre Trip Reporting under" No Parents Allowed", b.c. after all the years we've been going with our own kids, then with our Grands, we asked for a Just The Kids trip, thus, No Parents Allowed " and got it. We were just there as a group in June for DH's surprise b.day, and so I love the fact that you posted about making those types of extra special memories with family as well.
We Luv YC/BC and hope you have a Magical Time there, Your plans sound like fun, can't wait to hear all about them in your TR!!!
Travel well, spread the magic everywhere you are.

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
Hi, @gdisneyfans , You have a lovely family, I'm sure that it's been fun watching your daughter grow up in your WDW pics/memories, and your DH reminds me of my own, starts out Grumpy, ends up, Happy!!.
We are heading back home, this time to SSR, in 2 days, I've been Pre Trip Reporting under" No Parents Allowed", b.c. after all the years we've been going with our own kids, then with our Grands, we asked for a Just The Kids trip, thus, No Parents Allowed " and got it. We were just there as a group in June for DH's surprise b.day, and so I love the fact that you posted about making those types of extra special memories with family as well.
We Luv YC/BC and hope you have a Magical Time there, Your plans sound like fun, can't wait to hear all about them in your TR!!!
Travel well, spread the magic everywhere you are.
Thank you!! It sure has been fun watching her grow up in those photos:inlove:

I read your PTR and am excited for you and your husband to be able to take your grandkids - what a treat!! Your June trip looks like it was so much fun too:) Can't wait to read about your travels when you get back - travel safe and enjoy the time with the grandkids!!

DisneyGigi

I hope you can next trip - I think you'd really enjoy the resort. It has become our favorite. We have never been in August, so this will be a first for us. But I'm ready for the challenge:joyfull:
It really is not that bad, we have been in February, March, May, November and August/September is my favorite hands down. It is humid, but you really adapt quick. This will be our 5th trip this time of the year. :)

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
It really is not that bad, we have been in February, March, May, November and August/September is my favorite hands down. It is humid, but you really adapt quick. This will be our 5th trip this time of the year. :)
Thanks for the reassurance:joyfull: Our trips were usually in February or March and not humid, so I think that's what I'm worried most about - not the heat!

I'm in! You are brave going in August, but I'm sure you will adapt quickly!

So jealous about the Beach Club! I've always wanted to stay there!
Thank you! I'm sure we will adapt quickly too:)

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
Eeks! UWSP - that's my town:happy: Well actually I work in SP, I live in suburb of SP:hilarious: What degrees did you get there, just curious, that's all! It really is a nice community and agree, we do have beautiful seasons! We are actually heading "up north" to enjoy the season of summer in the northwoods for a restful week. Can't wait!

Thank you and thank you for following along!

dizfan917

Stevens Point is about as far "up nort" as I ever got. Maybe a trip to Wausau? I have a BFA in Graphic Design (before computers hit the campus) and a BFA in Theatre Design & Technology (before there was much technology...). I loved my years there.

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
Nice - I didn't graduate from UWSP, but am involved somewhat with the University through work - the campus and staff are great!

"Up nort" LOL - that's sounds about right! We actually made it all the way up to Manitowish Waters - about an hour and a half north of Wausau. It was an awesome week with great weather! Eagle and Loon sightings every day:inlove:
Up North.jpg

Up North 2.jpg

And beautiful sunsets!
Up North 1.jpg

It was so restful and peaceful. So nice to get away from work, the hustle and bustle of life and to disconnect for a while:happy:

DisneyGigi

We had some fun mail waiting for us though when we returned:happy:
View attachment 219954

The new boxes they arrive in are interesting to say the least:confused:
When we were picking out colors Emily said she wanted grey - I said "grey, the most boring color"? She said grey goes with everything:rolleyes: Typical teenager!
18 days:happy::happy::happy:
Ours are supposed to be here tomorrow!! The box definitely isn't as nice as it used to be it doesn't look like. :-/ Are luggage tags in there? Not that I need anymore, but I was really bummed with the final documents being so thin and well not much. We had annual passes last year so did not get them and can't remember about 2015. I have a gray magicband too, I really just like gray. I swap mine out with my old ones. Truth be told, I did not need a magicband either but I wanted the new style. :D Ps, you better start packing!

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
Ours are supposed to be here tomorrow!! The box definitely isn't as nice as it used to be it doesn't look like. :-/ Are luggage tags in there? Not that I need anymore, but I was really bummed with the final documents being so thin and well not much. We had annual passes last year so did not get them and can't remember about 2015. I have a gray magicband too, I really just like gray. I swap mine out with my old ones. Truth be told, I did not need a magicband either but I wanted the new style. :D Ps, you better start packing!
Yay!! Nope - no new luggage tags for us either:grumpy:. We have plenty as well, but I always looked forward to the new design and then using those until the next new design:joyfull:. I was bummed too - when I opened the envelope I was like, is this it?:confused: But I guess that must be the new Disney norm.
Ha - I didn't need a new one either, but I wanted the new style too! I like grey too - I was just giving my teenager a hard time since she's so particular about everything! I know - this weekend, we have to start! Next weekend we're out of town and the following weekend we leave:jawdrop:

DisneyGigi

Yay!! Nope - no new luggage tags for us either:grumpy:. We have plenty as well, but I always looked forward to the new design and then using those until the next new design:joyfull:. I was bummed too - when I opened the envelope I was like, is this it?:confused: But I guess that must be the new Disney norm.
Ha - I didn't need a new one either, but I wanted the new style too! I like grey too - I was just giving my teenager a hard time since she's so particular about everything! I know - this weekend, we have to start! Next weekend we're out of town and the following weekend we leave:jawdrop:
Mine came today, the luggage tags were at the end.

gdisneyfans

Original Poster
Hmm, I guess I'll have to look in the box again. I just opened it when we got home from being gone and then never pulled them out, so I'll definitely check when I get home - thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom