The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

Studies have shown that the summer break is so long that kids who love in homes that do not continue to do educational activities (hiking, camping, museums, etc.) Lose a lot of educational progress over the summer.

The kids still get a summer break in year round schools, it's just shorter. But they also get more breaks around the school year to keep them from burning out.
Yea, at first, having been raised and educated the old way, thought to myself... nasty, I'd hate that. However, the more I think about it. it isn't all that bad. I think that city schools took the summer off, because of heat. No AC meant uncomfortable situations for both teachers and students. With the advent of AC, year round school works very well. It was also designed around farm families. The summer required a lot of hands to get the crop and hay in so the kids were needed on the farm. It really depended on whether one was a city kid or a country kid. Just think of it in terms of visiting Disney. You don't have to go in the summer heat anymore because the kids have enough mini-vacations that it opens up almost any time of the year.

For those that have problems with child care due to the need for double incomes, it solves the what do you do all summer about that problem. Really, it's a win - win all around. Doesn't solve it completely, but, it seems like it would make it a little easier.

MOXOMUMD

Yea, at first, having been raised and educated the old way, thought to myself... nasty, I'd hate that. However, the more I think about it. it isn't all that bad. I think that city schools took the summer off, because of heat. No AC meant uncomfortable situations for both teachers and students. With the advent of AC, year round school works very well. It was also designed around farm families. The summer required a lot of hands to get the crop and hay in so the kids were needed on the farm. It really depended on whether one was a city kid or a country kid. Just think of it in terms of visiting Disney. You don't have to go in the summer heat anymore because the kids have enough mini-vacations that it opens up almost any time of the year.

For those that have problems with child care due to the need for double incomes, it solves the what do you do all summer about that problem. Really, it's a win - win all around. Doesn't solve it completely, but, it seems like it would make it a little easier.
IF the schools have A/C. Ours don't.

Goofyernmost

IF the schools have A/C. Ours don't.
True, but, new schools have been built with AC, if for no other reason to keep teachers happy. If your area doesn't have AC then the summer off schedule will probably continue to be the system used. In the south, most schools have AC if they were built after 1990.
Any without have all been turned into Senior Centers because everyone knows that old people have poor circulation and need heat.;)

MySmallWorldof4

Pretty hot and humid here today. Already back at the cabin, but we did a lot. Went on Jungle Cruise. Capt. Jason was great. Very punny. :) Walked the Treehouse, Aladdin, POTC, BTMR, got some churros, pretzels, dole whip float:hungry:, saw the Country Bears, saw The Muppets, and left by 11:30. Dh had to switch out our golf cart. The battery was draining too quick. Going to DD or DS, whatever you wish to call it. Going to eat at the Polite Pig, I think. ;)

donaldtoo

I'm always awestruck by what your firm designs. I mean, my mind just doesn't even "go" in those directions. You and your colleagues always manage to come up with these beautiful ideas, and then somehow make them workable, for the construction people to build.

It's truly an art form that I'm unfamiliar with. As with everything else in life, we all have our own unique "gifts" (and I guess some are more "gifted" than others :happy: ) !

Wow. Thank you so much Minnie.
I'm not any more talented than anyone else, I just found my niche. Quite frankly, although we've already established I'm no rocket scientist ;), I would have rather been one, but, I didn't have the math chops.
Also, yes, it takes a WHOLE LOTTA' teamwork...none of us could do it on our own.

Anyway, thanks again! :)

donaldtoo

:happy:
Wow. Disney EDUCATION animation. (Just had to pause here for a retro moment in homage . . . ) :inlove:

Homage, indeed! :inlove:

These shows are definitely Disney educational gems!
Wernher von Braun, Willy Ley, Heinz Haber...the heavy hitters from our early rocket and space program. Love how Walt, of course ;), wanted to be involved (similar to "Victory Through Air Power" back during WW II) in it!
Sooo much they didn't know back then, but, they didn't let any of that stop them...!!! :happy: :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
But, I don't get it. Doesn't every kid want the whole summer off?
In theory yes Still year round here have six weeks. Plenty of down time. There are two additional 2 week vacations one in fall and spring and still have the traditional week at thanksgiving and 2 at Christmas.

So many more opportunities to travel with families

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
When the kiddos were younger we actually used it quite often every year. It keeps the front of the house nice and toasty.
We had some really chilly (for us) winters back then.
For about the last decade our winters have been pretty mild, so that is probably about how long ago we used it. There are enough cold nights here and there to motivate others, but, I just don't feel the need to crank it up for only a few times per winter.
I used to call a sweep out every 2 years when we used it. I'm sure the flue would need a thorough cleaning at this point. Wouldn't be worth it, to us anyway, to do that now.
Maybe that will change down the road, we'll see. More good memories...! :)

Funny thing is, I can't remember the last time at the firm we designed a house without a fireplace, many with several.
Also, outdoor fireplaces/pits/features are definitely popular here, too.
A couple of our designs... :)

View attachment 215678
View attachment 215679
Our house before this had a fireplace I hated cleaning it after. Outside I'd love

Figgy1

Premium Member
:happy:

Homage, indeed! :inlove:

These shows are definitely Disney educational gems!
Wernher von Braun, Willy Ley, Heinz Haber...the heavy hitters from our early rocket and space program. Love how Walt, of course ;), wanted to be involved (similar to "Victory Through Air Power" back during WW II) in it!
Sooo much they didn't know back then, but, they didn't let any of that stop them...!!! :happy: :)
If you ever make it to DC you MUST make it over to Goddard and try and go on a day when the rocket club meets:joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom