New Fantasmic! - Live Stream, Videos, Reviews, Reactions

Axoman

I tried watching via Periscope but every stream I tried watching kept freezing up and was of poor quality so I gave up.

Have to wait until things show up on YouTube

TP2000

Original Poster
I tried watching via Periscope but every stream I tried watching kept freezing up and was of poor quality so I gave up.

Have to wait until things show up on YouTube

I switched to this one early on, and it held up nicely. It is from stage left, on about the second terrace near the French Market. https://www.periscope.tv/w/1ZkJzODvWqaxv

But I agree, I can't wait to see this in HD on YouTube later this weekend.

VJ

Honestly, as excited as I was for the new show, the final product is a bit of a mixed bag for me. BUT, it's not "ZOMG THEY'RE RUINING MY CHILDHOOD"-worthy. It's just... there.

The show borrows heavily from Tokyo's iteration but I feel it works, it's not simply the Tokyo show ported over to Disneyland. The lead female vocalist is trying a bit too hard and is overused in the show (in my opinion), and the finale vocals are a bit too "modern" for my taste. I feel like the Pirates section is unnecessary, it's the 2006 additions to the attraction if you replaced "WHERE BE JACK SPARROW" with "WHERE BE MY COMPASS". I like that they reused as many of the character vocals as possible, and Bret Iwan does a pretty awesome job as Mickey after only nearly 10 years voicing the character. I do feel like the Finding Nemo and Little Mermaid section was kind of pointless in the show, but that's a minor nitpick.

Overall, I don't love the show as much as I love the original, but it's not completely horribly terrible either. Steve Davison and crew played a pretty good hand with the cards they were dealt, but of course anything can be improved.

D

Deleted member 107043

I watched Periscope feed, and yes it's a spectacular show, but for me there wasn't enough fresh material to live up to all the breathless fan hype leading up to tonight's premiere. It's essesentially the same show as before. Sorry, but I'm unimpressed. :(

SMLR

Saw the livestream. Here are my thoughts:

- I LOVE LOVE LOVE the colors. The show is very vibrant as a result. (It honestly felt like World of Color sometimes lol)
- The new Pink Elephants sequence was like a freaking acid trip. Wow. That was insane!!!
- I actually like how they incorporated the newly added films (Lion King, Nemo, etc). It wasn't overpowering, it all fit in perfectly.
- YESSSSS at Mickey being intertwined more in the show. Really emphasizes that this is HIS journey through the imagination.
- Thought the Pirates scene was okay. I would've loved to have seen the ghost projections though. By the way, who was that damsel in distress? Is she a new character? Her voice was annoying lol
- When Maleficent and all the villains were defeated in the end. That part was epic.

Overall, this is definitely Fantasmic for the 21st century. All the technological updates (projections, lights, fountains, etc.) made it even better. Hopefully they keep improving on the show though. That Pirates scene needs to be fixed.

Phroobar

I liked refreshed version. The use of Mickey thought out the entire show was much better. As said, it helps you remember that it is his dream. The pirate ship looked good. The "rescue me" screams were a little annoying but it seemed like they did a lot of the same stunts as before including swing off the back of the ship. I enjoyed the Genie and every thing looked a lot brighter with the background projections. Good show.

BasiltheBatLord

Watched from a YouTube video. My impression is quite positive.

Only complaints I had:
- Music for pink elephants scene is dated a bit too much to this era. Only part of the show that doesn't really feel "timeless".
- Pirates doesn't fit in the show very well, the transitions in and out of the scene feel pretty awkward and I think Pan worked better.
- Mickey's random exasperated gasps and interjections during his scenes come off as annoying and un-necessary.
- I was really sad to see that the lights quickly going out followed by the very last "burst" of fireworks to end the show was tweaked to where it's not so sudden/out of nowhere anymore.
- And lastly, I'm sure I'll get used to this but it was kind of sad to see that the iconic "hand-waving" choreography from Mickey at the beginning of the show is gone.

Those are really just minor quips for the most part though, overall it accomplished what I felt was needed to refresh the show for a more modern time while still successfully preserving the show and its classic legacy within Disney Park history.

Some questions I had, for anyone who's in the know
1. Does the screen at the top of the island come down during the day?
2. Was the black and white Mickey head changed?

choco choco

I'm really, really saddened they took out the evil witch boiling her potion and transforming into the queen, as that was one of the best physical effects in the entire show, and the whole segment was wonderfully spooky and unnerving.

I can't think of a single justification for taking that part out. Did they replace the pot equipment with the machinery needed for the flying carpet?...I mean, that's all I got for a completely inexplicable excision.

SuddenStorm

Overall, I don't love the show as much as I love the original, but it's not completely horribly terrible either. Steve Davison and crew played a pretty good hand with the cards they were dealt, but of course anything can be improved.

Bingo. What was already there worked, and I would have loved to see the '92 iteration with the new technology. What they added isn't bad, and I liked the new segments, but I don't know if the new segments are thematically supurior, or if they would resonate as well with the audience if they relied on the '92 technology.

Last edited:

dweezil78

Didn't get to watch this via live stream, but the HD vids popping up on YT look pretty spectacular! Here's a good one from Laughingplace -

I watched the last performance of Fantasmic last night so it was fresh in my head -- wow, technologically what an improvement! I'm only 10 min in, but am digging what I've seen so far. The image clarity on the water projections alone is already exponentially better than what we had before. Pretty cool!

DarkMetroid567

From what I'm seeing, I already prefer this to the '92 version. Insanely awesome. Only thing I wish that stayed was Mickey's hand waving at the beginning. He looks more dramatic now.

SuddenStorm

Why would the Black Pearl have a huge wanted poster for Jack Sparrow hanging? Should have left it the same flag as Pan's for an homage to the original. A lot of the stunts in the scene were borrowed from Pan, which is a testament to the quality of the original segment- I'd say the Pirates isn't an improvement beyond the obvious technological advancements. Imagine a Pan segment but with all of the projection mapping? They could project Tinker Bell, Pixie dust, and some other stuff to make it look more "cartoony" than it was originally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom