The stuff you need to pack for kids that you forget about

DrummerAlly

Original Poster
Packing for young kids for a trip - what's the must bring items that you would never have to think about bringing for adults or older kids?

Diaper rash cream? Bubble bath and bath toys?

What's on your list?

Schneewittchen

When my kids were babies/small toddlers and I wanted to avoid a trip to the Target (we have an RV, so we do bring the kitchen sink):
baby Benedryl, baby advil, the whole baby pharmacy
diaper wipes
diaper cream
swim diapers
disposable sippy cups

LAM378

Whatever flotation device they use to swim at home. You can borrow life jackets at the pools, but the kids in my family were better swimmers in water wings or puddle jumpers.

Also, I keep some Ziploc bags in my park bag to hold their leftover counter service meals or snacks they couldn't finish all at once.

Weather_Lady

We're past the diaper/stroller stage, but what we pack for the kids that we don't pack for ourselves includes:

Autograph books
Swim goggles
Kid-sized rain ponchos (or adult-sized Dollar Store ponchos that we cut down in advance so they don't drag on the ground!)
...and when the kids were smaller - Safety Tats (Band-Aid sized temporary tattoos on which you can write your contact information for if the kids get lost)

The way I pack for the kids is a little different, too -- assembling complete outfits for each day and rolling them together. I fold the shirt in thirds and shorts in half and place the shorts on top of the shirt, lining up the shirt collar with the shorts waistband. I place a pair of socks and underwear on top, and then roll the items together with the shirt on the outside, carefully smoothing out wrinkles as I go, into a little "outfit burrito." I place the burritos for each child side-by-side in a packing cube (each kid has their own color), which is simply unzipped and placed in a drawer once we unpack at the hotel. This way, the kids can easily grab a complete outfit each morning, with no adult help required, and their clothes stay surprisingly wrinkle-free in the meantime. If only I could utilize the same strategy for DH's clothes...

Last edited:

buseegal

Whatever flotation device they use to swim at home. You can borrow life jackets at the pools, but the kids in my family were better swimmers in water wings or puddle jumpers.

Also, I keep some Ziploc bags in my park bag to hold their leftover counter service meals or snacks they couldn't finish all at once.
make sure coast guard approved as some places require that to use own devices

wdwhoneymooner

A noise machine. When we're all sharing a hotel room, my kids (and me!) need the noise machine so everyone doesn't wake up every time someone coughs, or gets up to the use the bathroom, needs a drink, etc.

I agree with the white noise machine 100%. We've been taking one on our vacations since 2006. It does wonders to muffle the various sounds that may interfere with your ability to get some much needed sleep. If you don't wish to bring one, you can download a free noise app for your smartphone too. Since you'll be bringing your charging cables you can just leave it running as long as needed.

WDWDreamer4

The way I pack for the kids is a little different, too -- assembling complete outfits for each day and rolling them together. I fold the shirt in thirds and shorts in half and place the shorts on top of the shirt, lining up the shirt collar with the shorts waistband. I place a pair of socks and underwear on top, and then roll the items together with the shirt on the outside, carefully smoothing out wrinkles as I go, into a little "outfit burrito." I place the burritos for each child side-by-side in a packing cube (each kid has their own color), which is simply unzipped and placed in a drawer once we unpack at the hotel. This way, the kids can easily grab a complete outfit each morning, with no adult help required, and their clothes stay surprisingly wrinkle-free in the meantime. If only I could utilize the same strategy for DH's clothes...

Love this idea! I always pack the kids clothes by complete outfit, but never rolled them up. This will definitely help! and my husband won't have to ask what goes with what for the kids.

Nemo14

I used to do that too when my kids were young, except that I put each outfit in a gallon size ziplock bag. It helps when you're bringing a change of clothes to the parks too, so if an outfit gets soiled for whatever reason, you just change them and slip the soiled clothes in the empty ziplock.

Nemo14

Bubbles! Sometimes lines are longer than posted and it's an easy activity to do while waiting. Plus, you can also use it as an alternative to buying an expensive bubble wand.
At the risk of sounding like a grouchy old lady, I really hate people blowing bubbles in the parks. Save that for more open spaces where people wearing glasses or carting cameras aren't in the line of fire.

At the risk of sounding like a grouchy old lady, I really hate people blowing bubbles in the parks. Save that for more open spaces where people wearing glasses or carting cameras aren't in the line of fire.
Hmm...touché. I wear glasses and I've never had a problem with kids blowing bubbles, but to each his own!

buseegal

Bubbles! Sometimes lines are longer than posted and it's an easy activity to do while waiting. Plus, you can also use it as an alternative to buying an expensive bubble wand.
another who does not like bubbles lines as I have allergy to some of them. they leave a red rash on me where they land which then makes other parents worry can their child get what I have

Minnie1986

I would never pack bath toys. The mini shampoo/lotion/etc bottles and a plastic/paper cup work just fine.

Glow sticks. I'm too cheap to buy their night stuff
May I ask where you got your glow sticks from? I'm traveling with a child for the first time and I will not be buying glow in the dark things at the park.

Minnie1986

When my kids were babies/small toddlers and I wanted to avoid a trip to the Target (we have an RV, so we do bring the kitchen sink):
baby Benedryl, baby advil, the whole baby pharmacy
diaper wipes
diaper cream
swim diapers
disposable sippy cups
May I ask why you consider All Star resorts "slumming it?" Obviously, understanding that you're saying it in jest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom