Airport Question

LRnascarfan

We're flying out Sunday!! Woo Hoo!! 2 days!! My daughter has some items in her carry-on that I wasn't sure about. She has nail clippers, tweezers, bobby-pins for her hair and pony tail holders. I'm sure the pony tail holders/elastics are fine but wasn't sure about the others. Can anyone who flies more than me lend some insight!!

Thanks,

Kim

Weather_Lady

As others said, those things are fine. I've traveled with all of them, multiple times, with no issues.

The only things from a standard toiletry kit/hair kit that I can think of that would cause an issue in a carryon would be: (1) long, sharp metal nail files (emery boards are a safe substitute) and (2) scissors with blades over 4" from the pivot point.

If there's anything you're unsure-of, the TSA site has a search bar you can use to check for common items.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

We're flying out Sunday!! Woo Hoo!! 2 days!! My daughter has some items in her carry-on that I wasn't sure about. She has nail clippers, tweezers, bobby-pins for her hair and pony tail holders. I'm sure the pony tail holders/elastics are fine but wasn't sure about the others. Can anyone who flies more than me lend some insight!!

Thanks,

Kim
I've flown 7 times already this year and have had no problems flying with bobby pins in my carry-on. The nail clippers, however, you may want to check.

Upvote 0

Uncle Lupe

Just put it in checked luggage. We flew with a pair of craft or nail scissors in a backpack before unknowingly. When through security at CHM, ATL, never was stopped on the way to MYR . Going home MYR TSA pulled our bag at the x-ray to look inside. Wouldn't tell us why just that they see something. After about at 15 minutes of scanning, hand searching and us nervously waiting they finally found the small pair of scissors that we did not realize was in the bag. Asked if we would like to fill out the paperwork to have it sent to us. We said no you keep it and promptly left. That being said you never know with security. Some may let it go or miss it entirely. But others will pull anything that could be a hazard.

Anyways if any doubt, pack it away.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

Thanks,

Kim
Just traveled with all of those in my carry on a few weeks ago no problem. We do carry on only so I am used to what you can carry and what you cannot. If we screw up we lose the item.

to add
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/printable

I double checked the search and tweezers and clippers are fine.

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

I've been blessed to fly a lot this summer and in Phoenix, I had to remove a paperback book and magazines OUT of my carry on so they could scan them. It was a PEOPLE Mag and a biography of a former First lady. I flew home from KC yesterday, had the same book and mags in my bag and didn't have to remove them.
I did do research and it says TSA wants to be able to scan the books, etc. Talk about Big Brother watching you! :mad:

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I've been blessed to fly a lot this summer and in Phoenix, I had to remove a paperback book and magazines OUT of my carry on so they could scan them. It was a PEOPLE Mag and a biography of a former First lady. I flew home from KC yesterday, had the same book and mags in my bag and didn't have to remove them.
I did do research and it says TSA wants to be able to scan the books, etc. Talk about Big Brother watching you! :mad:

When we flew into UAE we had to turn on our computers for them and let them browse through our picture folders. Same with our phones. They also scanned us with a heat screen to check our temperatures, but that was the height of the Swine Flu outbreak so that was expected.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

I haven't had a problem with any of those items but I never bring any expensive versions of sharp objects just in case. Others have said "just put them in your checked luggage." However, I recognize that not everyone wants to check any luggage given the costs of doing so. I certainly haven't wanted to pay to check a bag for the past few years unless absolutely necessary.

Upvote 0

thomas998

I haven't had a problem with any of those items but I never bring any expensive versions of sharp objects just in case. Others have said "just put them in your checked luggage." However, I recognize that not everyone wants to check any luggage given the costs of doing so. I certainly haven't wanted to pay to check a bag for the past few years unless absolutely necessary.
Best solution to avoid the cost is get a credit card for the airline you use. Most of them come with a perk that allows you to check a bag without paying. I used to try and just carry-on everything but somewhere along the road I realized it was much less of a hassle to check bag and not worry about whether I would have enough space to cram my bag or have to lug it all over the place. I suspect once you start checking your bags you'll never go back.

Upvote 0

JillC LI

Best solution to avoid the cost is get a credit card for the airline you use. Most of them come with a perk that allows you to check a bag without paying. I used to try and just carry-on everything but somewhere along the road I realized it was much less of a hassle to check bag and not worry about whether I would have enough space to cram my bag or have to lug it all over the place. I suspect once you start checking your bags you'll never go back.

Yes, I do have a Delta Amex card, but that only helps when I fly Delta, which is about half the time. Also, having switched over to almost exclusively travelling carryon now instead of checking a bag, I find that it's actually far more convenient, and I don't have to wait for my bags after the flight or worry that they will get lost in transit! At first it was a hassle to use small size toiletries but I've gotten used to that. Unless I'm travelling for a long time, I always prefer carryon to checked nowadays.

Upvote 0

ninjaprincesst

When I fly I want to have a big bottle of shampoo and not 3oz! I pack everything questionable in my checked bag!
Me too, I just double ziplock bag my shampoo and stuff in my checked bag , because I have had the spill issue before, but my daughter and I both have long thick hair and 30z of shampoo would not get us through one day much less 9.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom