Marvel's Spider Man : Homecoming

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
As of Sunday morning, the latest cinematic depiction of the webbed-hero, “Spider-Man: Homecoming,” is looking at a $117 million opening from 4,348 locations. $10.6 million of the domestic total came from 392 Imax screens. That’s a huge win for Sony, Columbia Pictures, and Marvel Studios for the film, which cost roughly $175 million to produce. The anticipated opening weekend is higher than industry estimates, which were in the $90 million to $110 million range, while the studio cautiously pegged it at $80 million.

http://variety.com/2017/film/box-of...ming-box-office-opening-weekend-2-1202490552/

flynnibus

Premium Member
Saw this today and really liked it.
I'd put it up there with the first Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America 3- this is one of the really, really good Marvel movies.
There is a really good twist at the beginning of the third act that I did not see coming.
Tom Holland is fine as Peter Parker, and really likable, but Michael Keaton absolutely steals the show as the Vulture.
The non-Xmen Marvel movies rarely have good villains, and Keaton is far and away the best they've had.

Meh... I thought the villain was on the weak side. I like the actor's performance... but didn't really feel for the character or script around him.

I think it's one of the best MCU movies to date. Top 3-5 at least... up there with avengers1, ironman1, guardians1. It just has a great balance of plot, action, and characters. It doesn't come across as predictable, forced, or excess. It's the kind of movie I would encourage any movie goer try.. even if not a superhero fan.

The marvel studios DNA in a film makes all the difference. I'm pretty skeptical of this new Sony/marvel arrangement for the long run... but for the mcu movies, I like the character they came up with... even if I don't agree with the deviation from source material.

Tick Tock

As someone who has been disappointed with Spidey movies ever since that 2007 Emo Peter Parker, Topher Grace-iphied mess that was Spider-Man 3....I went into this new one with very low expectations.

Thankfully, it delivered. It delivered on so many levels: Story, character, humor, action. It all worked well for me. While it's not perfect, it is a far cry better than any film we've gotten from the webslinger in well over a decade (imo).

I also liked how it broke certain "rules" of traditional Spider-Man / superhero formula, such as:
-Introducing us to the villain right at the start, and giving us his backstory & motive for what he does before we see anything from our hero.
-Aunt May's hilarious reaction during the final moment of the film rather than the traditional swing-off-into-the-sunset by Spidey to wrap up the movie.
-The sarcasm, sass, and fun humor of MJ, rather than her being the "girl next door" as seen in previous versions of the character.
I was also pleasantly surprised with how Michael Keaton pulled off the Vulture. When it was announced that Vulture was gonna be our main big bad of the movie, I wasn't too thrilled. But the story does a great job developing the character, making him interesting & with good depth. Not since Alfred Molina's Doc Ock have they done as good of a job at making the audience root against, yet feel bad for at the same time, a main villain, who is both menacing yet likable. Good job, Keaton.

I didn't see any of the two big "twists" coming, and was surprised when they both were revealed.
The surprise about Vulture's daughter, and MJ being right under our noses all throughout the film.

Tom Holland makes a very entertaining Spidey, and I look forward to how they develop the character further and take this new reboot into future installments.

Glad to finally have a good, quality Spider-Man movie again. It's been too long.

Tick Tock

A few other notes while the movie is fresh on my mind. Just a couple other things that I thought this film pulled off nicely, where other Spidey movies failed:
1. Having multiple villains in a Spidey movie
This is something which was tried in 2007's Spider-Man 3, and again in 2014's The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Both (imo) did it terribly, cramming too many antagonists into one movie, negatively impacting the pacing of both the overall plot, and each character's individual screen time & development.
In Spider-Man Homecoming, however, it worked nicely having both Vulture & Shocker included, making one the main big bad while the other as a supporting antagonist. It fit nicely to all of the other challenges our hero was facing throughout the story, and didn't botch the pacing of any character involved. Neither of the 2 villains felt cheated in their screen times, and it didn't seem to overwhelm the story like in past attempts at giving Spidey more than one nemesis to face. I liked how it played out.

2. Taking Spidey out of the Big Apple
The Washington Monument scene was a nice change, as we haven't seen the webslinger do his thing outside of the confines of NYC in any of his movies until now. I thought that change, even just for one main scene, was a nice way to shake things up and take our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man out of his neighborhood for once.

Last edited:

SoupBone

Do tell! I like treats!

At the end, when Vulture is going walking through the jail (after Spiderman saved his life), another villain (a prelude to the Scorpion?) tells Vulture that rumor has it, he knows where the Spiderman is, and others would like to take him out. Vulture responds that if he knew where/who Spiderman was, he'd already be dead. It's an interesting dialogue because it sets up his return, but leaves it completely open as to if it's to try and kill him or help him, like Green Goblin in Spiderman 3. I don't think he would initially try and help him, but maybe very similar to Goblins's change of heart.

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
At the end, when Vulture is going walking through the jail (after Spiderman saved his life), another villain (a prelude to the Scorpion?) tells Vulture that rumor has it, he knows where the Spiderman is, and others would like to take him out. Vulture responds that if he knew where/who Spiderman was, he'd already be dead. It's an interesting dialogue because it sets up his return, but leaves it completely open as to if it's to try and kill him or help him, like Green Goblin in Spiderman 3. I don't think he would initially try and help him, but maybe very similar to Goblins's change of heart.
Dear god

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So... this "flop" of SM3.1 is #2 critically of the six SM movies (SM1.2 is #1).

And it just grossed about $725 million. Once it hits China, it's expected to wind up at $780 million, which is on par of SM1.2.

This puts 3.1 on par with 1.2 in terms of gross, making them roughly tied at #3 among the six SM movies.

The highest grossing was about $100 million dollars more, SM1.3, which is #5 critically (and thus, killed that series).

Sure, it wasn't a billion and a half dollar movie like The Avengers but it's as good, box-office-wise, as GotG Vol1. Compared to the other Disney/Marvel superhero movies, it is #6.

I hope Marvel has a lot more flops like this.

doctornick

And it just grossed about $725 million. Once it hits China, it's expected to wind up at $780 million, which is on par of SM1.2.

It's going to make quite a bit more than that. I'd expect close to, if not over, $100M from China given how previous MCU films have performed and a final tally of at least $830M and possibly up to $845-850 or so.

Anyone who thinks this film has been a "failure" only saw the big second weekend drop and hasn't been paying any attention since. This film has done great and has pretty solid legs domestically.

Of course, it's Sony who in principle benefits from the box office gross, but the rehabilitation of the character has significant;y more value to Disney who control the merchandise rights.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
SM 3.1 has really benefited from staying out all summer and being there for families in the latter half of summer when there weren't often good alternatives. Legs, indeed.

Tick Tock

So... this "flop" of SM3.1 is #2 critically of the six SM movies (SM1.2 is #1).

This puts 3.1 on par with 1.2 in terms of gross, making them roughly tied at #3 among the six SM movies.

The highest grossing was about $100 million dollars more, SM1.3, which is #5 critically (and thus, killed that series).

Sure, it wasn't a billion and a half dollar movie like The Avengers but it's as good, box-office-wise, as GotG Vol1. Compared to the other Disney/Marvel superhero movies, it is #6.

I hope Marvel has a lot more flops like this.
Who was calling it a "flop"? :confused:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Who was calling it a "flop"? :confused:

A lot of internet couch analysts, e.g.,...

...did I miss something or was the first Spidey film in the MCU not quite the gazillion dollar success it was supposed to be? I mean, we all know most online fans will rip the Cars franchise, so the fact Cars 3 has pretty much eaten dust at the box office likely makes most happy. But Marvel? C'mon ... )

Again, if Homecoming was a purely Disney-Marvel venture, it will wind up ranking #6 or #5 among them.

spacemt354

Chili's
It's going to make quite a bit more than that. I'd expect close to, if not over, $100M from China given how previous MCU films have performed and a final tally of at least $830M and possibly up to $845-850 or so.

Anyone who thinks this film has been a "failure" only saw the big second weekend drop and hasn't been paying any attention since. This film has done great and has pretty solid legs domestically.

Of course, it's Sony who in principle benefits from the box office gross, but the rehabilitation of the character has significant;y more value to Disney who control the merchandise rights.
The Chinese box office might not be as strong as past MCU films, given its delayed release date. Hoping for a sizable pull, but if it is even able to crack $800 Million Worldwide due to China, that would be a huge home run (not that it isn't already)

doctornick

The Chinese box office might not be as strong as past MCU films, given its delayed release date. Hoping for a sizable pull, but if it is even able to crack $800 Million Worldwide due to China, that would be a huge home run (not that it isn't already)

No American films get released in China over the summer due to rules to protect the Chinese film industry, so all "foreign" releases from the summer are delayed there. If Ant-Man and Dr. Strange can make $100M in China (they did), Spider-Man easily should as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom