Replacement for Tomorrowland Speedway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rct247

Tron Coaster as a clone from Shanghai worries me on the Speedway plot. How will it look next to Fantasyland or the Circus? Will the Peoplemover be affected? How will it look next to Space Mountain? Will two coasters next to each other work? Will Space go down for an extensive refurbishment or replacement of the track after Tron is added? Would they ever consider gutting the Space Mtn building to put in something other than a coaster? Are we still stuck with Stitch? How does COP fit within a New Tomorrowland?

I'm with Marni1971. This isn't what MK needs. Adventureland is a better balance if we need a new coaster, but we don't need another one at MK. Speedway needs to go but get replaced by multiple attraactions. Not just one. Stitch needs to go more. MK already draws crowds and new attractions at the other parks will also cause an increase at MK. We need more capacity but not more draw.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Those are the rides I am talking about. Honestly, I could careless about the Speedway. I want more rides like The Little Mermaid. Those are still family rides. I want true dark rides.
Everyone is entitled to their option for sure, but the Little Mermaid is a bit of a train wreck IMO. Now if they add a Pirates type dark ride, then I am game.

Jrn14

Not going to repeat what I said earlier in this thread.

Many of you don't realize MK is a place where families can come and have fun, together.

My two year old drove the car with me as a passenger. We had fun together. Replace this with a tron coaster and that doesn't happen until he's tall enough. And that is if he even likes roller coasters.

There is still plenty to do with your 2 year old.

Jungle Cruise
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Pirates of the Caribbean
Swiss Family Treehouse
Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
Country Bear Jamboree
Tom Sawyer Island
The Hall of Presidents
Haunted Mansion
Liberty Belle Riverboat
Brave (Fairytale Garden)
Casey Jr. Splash 'N' Soak Station
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Enchanted Tales with Belle
It's a Small World
Mad Tea Party
Mickey's PhilharMagic
Peter Pan's Flight
Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
The Barnstormer featuring Goofy as the Great Goofini
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid
Walt Disney World Railroad
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
Astro Orbiter
Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover
Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress

Now when your 2 year old turns 10 they will still be excited to go to the park and do something fun and new. Even the most thrilling ride (Space Mountain) would probably be considered a kiddie coaster by six flag/cedar point standards. Let's all relax about this becoming some sort of thrill park when it's like 85% catered towards families. This would actually help families because kids become pre-teens/teens and they look for more exciting things to do at the parks.

Nickels5

Many of you don't realize MK is a place where families can come and have fun, together.

My two year old drove the car with me as a passenger. We had fun together. Replace this with a tron coaster and that doesn't happen until he's tall enough. And that is if he even likes roller coasters.
Theres plenty of other attractions at the park for you and your child.

wiscbugs

I would definitely have preferred a Sugar Rush type family racing ride as a replacement for the Speedway. I agree that we don't really need a costly sub-minute roller coaster right next to another coaster.

Nickels5

Something of high capacity that lasts more than a minute from launch to brakes.

And something that won't generate even more crowds without solving the overcrowding problem.
Is nothing like that on the table anywhere else? I would argue that the Magic Kingdom needs a new E-ticket since it hasn't gotten one since 1992. Does it need more high capacity rides? Absolutely.

deeevo

Is nothing like that on the table anywhere else? I would argue that the Magic Kingdom needs a new E-ticket since it hasn't gotten one since 1992. Does it need more high capacity rides? Absolutely.
SDMT is not an E-ticket? Just asking cause I thought it was classified as such.

RSoxNo1

SDMT is not an E-ticket? Just asking cause I thought it was classified as such.
No, it's a solid D.

Here's the rumor tracker for this:

July 10, 2017: .com is reporting that the Tron Lightcycle attraction from Shanghai Disneyland will replace the Tomorrowland Speedway by 2020/2021 and it will be officially announced on July 15th at the D23 Expo.

March 19, 2017: On Episode 123 of the Unofficial Guide's Disney Dish Podcast with Jim Hill, Jim and Len discuss the possibility of the Tron Coaster from Shanghai Disneyland replacing the Tomorrowland Speedway. This would be done for the 50th Anniversary of the park in 2021 and largely be contingent on the success of Tron 3, should it get made.

January 26, 2017: WDWMagic.com user marni1971 has reported that there are several proposals for changing the Tomorrowland Speedway but none of them have been finalized.

• Overhaul and overlay the existing attraction
  • Radically alter and overlay the concept but change it.
  • Radically alter and overlay the concept but change it as part of a bigger project
  • Fully remove the existing attraction for something new
October, 20, 2016: .com listed a series of rumors, one of which involves the Tron Lightcycle ride from Shanghai Disneyland being reproduced in Tomorrowland.

huwar18

Disney can make an E-ticket attraction that has high capacity. They really don't need it to be a coaster. Haunted mansion and Jungle Cruise were considered E-tickets.

Incomudro

While I agree with this to a certain extent - my sons have grown up going to Disney World (all the parks) annually since they were six years old.
We had a lot of fun on the Speedway - though I thought it was old, dated, and out of place when I first rode it as a 3rd grader.
MK needs more things for "older" families too.
There is plenty for the sub 10 year old set.
Barnstormer, and Seven Dwarf coasters are just down the path.

radiohost

There is still plenty to do with your 2 year old.

Jungle Cruise
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Pirates of the Caribbean
Swiss Family Treehouse
Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
Country Bear Jamboree
Tom Sawyer Island
The Hall of Presidents
Haunted Mansion
Liberty Belle Riverboat
Brave (Fairytale Garden)
Casey Jr. Splash 'N' Soak Station
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Enchanted Tales with Belle
It's a Small World
Mad Tea Party
Mickey's PhilharMagic
Peter Pan's Flight
Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
The Barnstormer featuring Goofy as the Great Goofini
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid
Walt Disney World Railroad
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
Astro Orbiter
Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover
Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress

Now when your 2 year old turns 10 they will still be excited to go to the park and do something fun and new. Even the most thrilling ride (Space Mountain) would probably be considered a kiddie coaster by six flag/cedar point standards. Let's all relax about this becoming some sort of thrill park when it's like 85% catered towards families. This would actually help families because kids become pre-teens/teens and they look for more exciting things to do at the parks.

Wow...you don't think I know that. I was talking about a two year old driving a car with his dad and mom. Pretty unique eh? Kids/families love this attraction and you all want to replace it with a coaster themed to a cult following movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom