Rivers of America (plus Railroad & Dioramas) Re-Imagineered 2017

George Lucas on a Bench

The train narration is the same guy as before, unless they suddenly change it for reopening. Pretty lame, but whatever.

I have all the materials for a new vlog, but I don't have time because I have to sleep and work, not cover the latest menu items at DL quick service.

TP2000

Original Poster
Those basalt columns on the Rivers of America are along the section the Disney Parks Blog referred to as the "Columbia River Gorge" section. And I remember commenting in this thread that it was a mistake to try and recreate something on that huge scale at Disneyland.

The Columbia River Gorge has lots of basalt columns on display, due to the widespread volcanic activity that formed nearly that entire region millions of years ago. Here's Beacon Rock just east of Portland, where Lewis & Clark camped for a time on their epic discovery of the Pacific Northwest.

beacon_rock_and_boats_07-02-06.jpg

Those are basalt columns. But they tower a few hundred feet high above the river, unlike the versions at Disneyland which are only a couple feet tall. Again, I have to question the attempt at recreating something as huge as the Columbia River Gorge at Disneyland.

On the other hand, Walt did recreate the Grand Canyon for Disneyland too.

EDIT: Here's some smaller basalt columns on the Columbia, but several hundred miles east out in Eastern Oregon where the Columbia River cuts through the very dry high dessert east of the Cascades.
336998270_431895e3e8_b.jpg

Last edited:

britain

Those basalt columns on the Rivers of America are along the section the Disney Parks Blog referred to as the "Columbia River Gorge" section. And I remember commenting in this thread that it was a mistake to try and recreate something on that huge scale at Disneyland.

The Columbia River Gorge has lots of basalt columns on display, due to the widespread volcanic activity that formed nearly that entire region millions of years ago. Here's Beacon Rock just east of Portland, where Lewis & Clark camped for a time on their epic discovery of the Pacific Northwest.

beacon_rock_and_boats_07-02-06.jpg

Those are basalt columns. But they tower a few hundred feet high above the river, unlike the versions at Disneyland which are only a couple feet tall. Again, I have to question the attempt at recreating something as huge as the Columbia River Gorge at Disneyland.

On the other hand, Walt did recreate the Grand Canyon for Disneyland too.

EDIT: Here's some smaller basalt columns on the Columbia, but several hundred miles east out in Eastern Oregon where the Columbia River cuts through the very dry high dessert east of the Cascades.
336998270_431895e3e8_b.jpg

Great pictures! DL's gorge doesn't have to come close to the right scale. It shows that they aren't coming up with textures and colors out of thin air, but that they are being mindful that it's referencing something.

Ismael Flores

Those rocks are great looking in the proper environment. Blocking the entrance to TL they do not

I never mentioned tomorrowland, so not sure why responded with that. My response was as to why they are in the rivers of America which was reference in the last sentence I quoted. So was just pointing out that They do fit the rivers of America theme And I mentioned that they are found along the Columbia river.

But in any case. I agree with you those rocks don't fit tomorrowland and main reason is because the theme is not consistent with the rest of the land.

Last edited:

TP2000

Original Poster
The first big heat wave of the summer has swept across SoCal, but the workmen continue to sweat it out finishing up the Rivers of America construction. And our favorite lady blogger was in the park on Friday afternoon to capture it for us.

jmuboy

The first big heat wave of the summer has swept across SoCal, but the workmen continue to sweat it out finishing up the Rivers of America construction. And our favorite lady blogger was in the park on Friday afternoon to capture it for us.

Its always annoyed me that the 4 "turrets" on the corners of Fort Wilderness never got their roofs added back when the fort was rebuilt many years ago.

TP2000

Original Poster
Some additional views from Critter Country, with Imagineers in fishing waders.

Plus the waterfall at the back of Critter Country has sprung to life again after over a year of sitting silent and dry because it eventually drains into the Rivers of America.

oo_nrb

Some additional views from Critter Country, with Imagineers in fishing waders.

Plus the waterfall at the back of Critter Country has sprung to life again after over a year of sitting silent and dry because it eventually drains into the Rivers of America.

If you'll pardon a brief correction: the creek in Critter Country does not drain into the Rivers of America. Last year, when the Rivers were drained in March-ish, the creek continued to run until October or so, when the scaffolding around the train trestle appeared. The creek is a wholly contained unit of recirculating water; one of the easiest ways to see this is that the water in Critter Country is a clear stream, whereas the water in the Rivers of America is a dyed color.

jmuboy

This is going to sound totally out of character, but I feel as though they should have altered the train cars to be like the Euro Disneyland Railroad. Those striped tarps look tacky and out of place. Why do they have those nowadays?
Always ageeed on this.

180º

This is going to sound totally out of character, but I feel as though they should have altered the train cars to be like the Euro Disneyland Railroad. Those striped tarps look tacky and out of place. Why do they have those nowadays?
I agree, not only because the "excursion" cars are prettier, but they hold a ton more guests. The inward-facing cars are classic, but I wouldn't mind seeing them go in favor of swank and capacity.

nevol

The jungle cruise boats used to have striped roofs too. The candy/toy look might not be perfectly on theme but they make the whole park look like a little train set which is kind of cool. If they were perfectly on-theme and the peaks of star wars land were still intruding on the river views it would look a little weirder like an accident, but with the brighter/faker look it would appear purposeful. Not that they had SWL in mind when they designed the trains, and the Paris trains do look amazing and still fanciful with the bright colors blocked and stained glass.

TP2000

Original Poster
All this talk this week about D23 Expo and Bugs and Marvel, but the work continues full steam ahead on the Rivers of America. More waterfalls! I can only imagine how tempting it must be for all those workmen and Imagineers in this July heat to not jump in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom