Makin' memories
Makin' memories
Takin' pictures is makin' memories
Catchin' little pieces of time
Makin' them yours and makin' them mine
Great vacations and celebrations we love to hold near and dear
And when we're makin' memories
Happy days can reappear!

@amjt660 it seemed a little presumptuous of me to include Three Peat in the title of this trip report. A more accurate term might be Repeat, considering this is my third TR in three months. I am fearful that my WDWMagic friends may be weary of me.

But for @Big Hair and anyone else who wants to follow along, Welcome! I truly love reliving our great (and not-so-great) vacation memories through writing these reports. As always, your comments and observations are much appreciated!

So c'mon everybody, here we go........

Cast: Tuvalu, Woody and Em
Dates: June 17-25, 2017
Resorts: Port Orleans Riverside and Polynesian Village ('cause let's be honest......you can take the girl out of the Poly, but you can't take the Poly out of the girl!)

IMG_8860.JPG

(Does this picture make you woozy? It is an appropriate representation of my Pandora experience.)

Stick around to discover what memories we made!

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Sunday, con't

Trying to get back on track here......and what better way than to have the Official Conductor of the MPB take his family for a ride?

IMG_4263.JPG

IMG_4264.JPG

We took the grand circle tour.
IMG_7530.JPG

By now it was well past 3 pm and time to check out our new room at the Poly. Before we exited MK, we passed a man wearing a Peter Pan t-shirt which said:
I never dreamed I'd grow up to be the world's greatest dad ~
But I'm killing it!

Very funny shirt to wear on Father's Day in the MK. :p

Tuvalu

Original Poster
Feels like I was just here.....(it was a quick 41 days ;))
IMG_6605.JPG

Received our 3rd floor room request but not the same room as last month. It was a mirror image.
IMG_4266.JPG

In the last month the rooms in Hawaii were "refreshed." Gone is the ceiling fan :arghh: replaced by an obnoxious overhead light (seen in pic above). The giant armoire has been halved in order to accommodate the giant flat screen TV on the wall. The tiki man desk lamp has been removed and in its place is a more modern (but less themed) lamp. The mini fridge is no longer behind a cabinet door, so items actually stay cold and opening/closing the door is less cumbersome. Carpet remains in the living space.

IMG_4267.JPG

The welcome back basket was a surprise.
IMG_4269.JPG

Our balcony overlooked the Oasis pool.
IMG_8769.JPG

The full set of the new H2O toiletries (club level extras include aloe gel, foot cream, ultra hydrating moisturizer, vanity kit and shower cap).
IMG_4268.JPG

I called down to Bell Services and our luggage was brought immediately (unlike the nearly two hour delay we experienced last summer.) As we unpacked it began to storm. No worries....it was Happy Hour! :D

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Your pictures of the Poly are getting me excited. We usually stay at AKL but we managed to get a great deal at the Poly for the Marathon weekend (I'm doing the 5km with family and the half on my own) so my sister agreed just this once we could be unfaithful to AKL as I explained that transportation by car or bus may be challenging on race days.

Tuvalu

Original Poster
We were unable to watch the storm from the comfort of the lounge.....it was PACKED. It did not prevent us from getting some adult beverages to take back to our room though.

Say it with me: Ku U Lei!
IMG_7531.JPG

What to do about dinner? Though the rain was tapering off we weren't sure we wanted to head back out. The aromatic smells from 'Ohana's wood fired ovens had piqued our interest when we passed by earlier ~ but as y'all know 'Ohana ADRs are hard to come by.

What if we could enjoy the food from 'Ohana in the peace and quiet of our own room? Why, that would be a Father's Day miracle!

Otherwise known as the Polynesian Twilight Feast.
IMG_4271.JPG

IMG_4273.JPG

IMG_4272.JPG

@lostpro9het and @imahistorygeek had ordered the Feast and reported it was A LOT of food ~ they got the Feast for one and had plenty of leftovers. I wasn't sure one Feast would be enough for three (sidenote: it would have!) so I ordered two. The CM asked how many were dining so enough supplies were included.

The food is the same as you get at 'Ohana (salad, wings, dumplings, noodles, veggies and skewered meats) with a few tweaks: dinner rolls in lieu of the pineapple bread (but same macadamia nut butter) and no ice cream for the bread pudding; but the addition of white rice and a carafe of POG juice (which came in handy for our future breakfasts....we don't "juice up" the POG like @lostpro9het ;)).

Since we don't eat shrimp, we were given extra steak. :hungry:

IMG_7532.JPG

We dined al fresco.
IMG_7533.JPG

IMG_7535.JPG

The bread pudding is better a la mode.....but we were so stuffed by this point that it wasn't a big deal.
IMG_7537.JPG

"The best Father's Day dinner ever!" Woody proclaimed.

No kids, no ukulele singer, no games, no slow service for 35 percent less than had we eaten in 'Ohana?
Best Father's Day dinner indeed!

*Flynnderella*

Loving all the pictures.

The brownie sundae in the Plaza looks delicious - craving one right now!

And if Woody would have liked company on BTMRR I would have been there - still counting down my days to get on "the wildest ride in the wilderness"

And yes we know about the purple wall in the UK, although truth be told I only knew about in this year so not sure how many years I've missed out on that one!?
What is the purple wall?! I've seen people posting pictures about it but what makes it "THE Purple wall?" :bookworm:

susan lees

We were unable to watch the storm from the comfort of the lounge.....it was PACKED. It did not prevent us from getting some adult beverages to take back to our room though.

Say it with me: Ku U Lei!
View attachment 214339

What to do about dinner? Though the rain was tapering off we weren't sure we wanted to head back out. The aromatic smells from 'Ohana's wood fired ovens had piqued our interest when we passed by earlier ~ but as y'all know 'Ohana ADRs are hard to come by.

What if we could enjoy the food from 'Ohana in the peace and quiet of our own room? Why, that would be a Father's Day miracle!

Otherwise known as the Polynesian Twilight Feast.
View attachment 214340

View attachment 214342

View attachment 214341

@lostpro9het and @imahistorygeek had ordered the Feast and reported it was A LOT of food ~ they got the Feast for one and had plenty of leftovers. I wasn't sure one Feast would be enough for three (sidenote: it would have!) so I ordered two. The CM asked how many were dining so enough supplies were included.

The food is the same as you get at 'Ohana (salad, wings, dumplings, noodles, veggies and skewered meats) with a few tweaks: dinner rolls in lieu of the pineapple bread (but same macadamia nut butter) and no ice cream for the bread pudding; but the addition of white rice and a carafe of POG juice (which came in handy for our future breakfasts....we don't "juice up" the POG like @lostpro9het ;)).

Since we don't eat shrimp, we were given extra steak. :hungry:

View attachment 214343

We dined al fresco.
View attachment 214345

View attachment 214344

The bread pudding is better a la mode.....but we were so stuffed by this point that it wasn't a big deal.
View attachment 214346

"The best Father's Day dinner ever!" Woody proclaimed.

No kids, no ukulele singer, no games, no slow service for 35 percent less than had we eaten in 'Ohana?
Best Father's Day dinner indeed!
Happy belated Fathers Day to all dads out there. What a lovely dinner idea:happy:

Tuvalu

Original Poster
The Electrical Water Pageant and Happily Ever After would be starting soon and we chose to hang out in the lounge until the shows started.

IMG_7538.JPG

The rain held off so we went outside to the beach.
IMG_7542.JPG

Don't know if it was a weather-related decision, but only the rear half of the EWP floats were in use. There was no serpent, turtle or octopus.

IMG_7540.JPG

IMG_7541.JPG

A few minutes later Happily Ever After began. Woody and I had watched the live stream of HEA on opening night and had seen the projections, so it wasn't paramount for us to be in the park for our first "in-person" viewing. Plus we're all about fireworks anyway!!

Em was despondent over Wishes ending and purposefully avoided any HEA media. So she wore her Wishes attire (in protest) for her premiere HEA experience.

I only took one pic because a) I wanted to focus on the show and b) Em hates my iPhone fireworks pics.
IMG_7544.JPG

Em's verdict? "It's not bad."
Woody's: "I think I like it more than Wishes."
Mine: LOVE LOVE LOVE :inlove:

susan lees

The Electrical Water Pageant and Happily Ever After would be starting soon and we chose to hang out in the lounge until the shows started.

View attachment 214351

The rain held off so we went outside to the beach.
View attachment 214354

Don't know if it was a weather-related decision, but only the rear half of the EWP floats were in use. There was no serpent, turtle or octopus.

View attachment 214352

View attachment 214353

A few minutes later Happily Ever After began. Woody and I had watched the live stream of HEA on opening night and had seen the projections, so it wasn't paramount for us to be in the park for our first "in-person" viewing. Plus we're all about fireworks anyway!!

Em was despondent over Wishes ending and purposefully avoided any HEA media. So she wore her Wishes attire (in protest) for her premiere HEA experience.

I only took one pic because a) I wanted to focus on the show and b) Em hates my iPhone fireworks pics.
View attachment 214355

Em's verdict? "It's not bad."
Woody's: "I think I like it more than Wishes."
Mine: LOVE LOVE LOVE :inlove:
Is the electric water pageant on in November? We've never seen it and would try when we're over next November.

Tuvalu

Original Poster
I see a fig bar. What else was in the basket?
Macadamia nuts, crackers and veggie crisps

Your pictures of the Poly are getting me excited. We usually stay at AKL but we managed to get a great deal at the Poly for the Marathon weekend (I'm doing the 5km with family and the half on my own) so my sister agreed just this once we could be unfaithful to AKL as I explained that transportation by car or bus may be challenging on race days.
Being on the monorail will be very convenient for marathon weekend. Em would have stayed at the Poly when she ran in 2016 had it been in her budget.

What is the purple wall?! I've seen people posting pictures about it but what makes it "THE Purple wall?" :bookworm:
I thought I was the only clueless one. Glad I am not alone:)
The Purple Wall became a "thing" on social media when someone discovered that the wall color complimented people's complexions. Supposedly no one looks "bad" in a purple wall pic.

Is the electric water pageant on in November? We've never seen it and would try when we're over next November.
Yes, the EWP performs every night in different places around the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. Ask a CM for the specific time in the location where you want to watch it.

susan lees

Macadamia nuts, crackers and veggie crisps

Being on the monorail will be very convenient for marathon weekend. Em would have stayed at the Poly when she ran in 2016 had it been in her budget.

The Purple Wall became a "thing" on social media when someone discovered that the wall color complimented people's complexions. Supposedly no one looks "bad" in a purple wall pic.

Yes, the EWP performs every night in different places around the Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. Ask a CM for the specific time in the location where you want to watch it.
Thank you Tuvalu. Next year will be our seventh visit and I am still learning of new experiences.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I have always love the EWP--truly, one of my most favorite attractions in all of WDW--it just never gets old for me!!

Tuvalu, I freaked to learn that they took out the ceiling fans in the guest rooms at Hawaii??!! Quite a few years ago before all the renovations at that resort, I stayed in Hawaii for a few nights--it was gorgeous. Not sure I like the room rehab they just did there.

Tuvalu

Original Poster
I freaked to learn that they took out the ceiling fans in the guest rooms at Hawaii??!! Quite a few years ago before all the renovations at that resort, I stayed in Hawaii for a few nights--it was gorgeous. Not sure I like the room rehab they just did there.
Removal of ceiling fans is now a trend at Disney resorts. It is a terrible decision since most rooms need motion to keep the ("energy efficient") a/c on....it's awful to awaken in a sweat because the a/c has stopped blowing and there is no fan moving the air.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom