Photobucket just broke billions of photos

fractal

Original Poster
Looks like they decided you have to pay $399/year to allow you to post your photos in forums.

My smugmug account, which is superior to photobucket starts at $5.99/month.

I really feel bad for those that have photos posted in various thread/trip reports and sites over the years. For the photobucket users out there - how much notice were you given of this change?

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

donsullivan

Premium Member
Can anyone tell me how to from post Flickr app?

I've never found a way to do it from the app, just from the website.

From the website:

- Click on the Share Photo icon on the lower right of your picture (arrow curling up to the right)
- Click on BBCode
- The URL to paste into your post in the forum will be visible. Just copy and paste that into your post and the image, your Flickr name and the name of the photo on Flickr will appear in your post. You can change the size that you want with the pop-up menu at the bottom but it usually defaults to one side at 1024 which is perfect for forum posting.

1DisneyDad

I've never found a way to do it from the app, just from the website.

From the website:

- Click on the Share Photo icon on the lower right of your picture (arrow curling up to the right)
- Click on BBCode
- The URL to paste into your post in the forum will be visible. Just copy and paste that into your post and the image, your Flickr name and the name of the photo on Flickr will appear in your post. You can change the size that you want with the pop-up menu at the bottom but it usually defaults to one side at 1024 which is perfect for forum posting.

Thanks

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
I just discovered this tonight and is making me physically ill. All of those trip reports with no photos!! All of mine are ruined :( I mean, I do have them saved but face it, I'm probably never going to go back in and fix all those, am I???

Ugh.

They're gerring TONS of flack from it, so I'm hoping they reverse their new stance...

Tony the Tigger

I have a lot of pics in my old photobucket account, but very few that matter. I'll see if I can rescue those. Most of the rest were for work.

Never used them for trip reports, just "upload a file."

donsullivan

Premium Member
Its unfortunate for many that this had to happen but it seems many are learning the hard way that the Internet isn’t actually free. Photobucket is an ad supported service (nothing on the Internet is actually free), and the folks using it to store their photos and then publish them in other places were using the service but the ads that support it were not being presented, thus compromising the revenue source for the site. It was kind of inevitable that could not be sustained from a business model standpoint.

I do admit their transition was incredibly ham-handed but the storage and bandwidth do have to be paid for somehow, they aren’t actually free.

Jahona

Well I stopped using Photobucket way back. A lot of the old forum signatures I made for people on MMO-Champion are going to break if they even still use them. I've switched over to imgur for linking photos to forums and blog posts.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Its unfortunate for many that this had to happen but it seems many are learning the hard way that the Internet isn’t actually free. Photobucket is an ad supported service (nothing on the Internet is actually free), and the folks using it to store their photos and then publish them in other places were using the service but the ads that support it were not being presented, thus compromising the revenue source for the site. It was kind of inevitable that could not be sustained from a business model standpoint.

I do admit their transition was incredibly ham-handed but the storage and bandwidth do have to be paid for somehow, they aren’t actually free.
You are right, and like so many of these types of services, they just can't keep giving a free bandwidth forever. Somewhere along the line it has to be paid for.

I think this is something that people really need to be aware of when they trust third parties with in many cases the only copies of their images. You never know what is going to happen.

Phroobar

Over the years their site has gone down hill. I found their site has become extremely slow and difficult to use. It's next to impossible to delete pictures without their site timing out. I was given no notice or email about this. I'm removing my pictures from that site and will delete my account. I guess there will be a lot of empty holes in old threads.

newhorizons1

I guess I need to be switching service soon, but my photos are not showing an error message. I really wonder why that is because I am definitely not signing up for a $399/yr plan!

rob0519

I do have to wonder how Photobucket came up with that $399 figure. I understand nothing is free on the internet. There is always cost somewhere, but to go from $0 to $400 with no option based pricing seems like a corporate death wish.

Tony the Tigger

I do have to wonder how Photobucket came up with that $399 figure. I understand nothing is free on the internet. There is always cost somewhere, but to go from $0 to $400 with no option based pricing seems like a corporate death wish.

Do we even know for sure this is real?

IMO there is far less need for photobucket now vs. years ago. For example, everyone selling on eBay (ok most of them) needed to use photobucket to host pictures for years until ebay started hosting the pictures themselves. Same thing with many other sites. Now most sites (like this one) you can easily upload your photo from your pc or cloud and be done with it.

Maybe the people who still use photobucket have a much higher number of pics to host and they would find it worth it to pay? I wouldn't pay $5 a month for photobucket these days. Back 15 years ago, it would have been a necessity.

rob0519

Do we even know for sure this is real?

IMO there is far less need for photobucket now vs. years ago. For example, everyone selling on eBay (ok most of them) needed to use photobucket to host pictures for years until ebay started hosting the pictures themselves. Same thing with many other sites. Now most sites (like this one) you can easily upload your photo from your pc or cloud and be done with it.

Maybe the people who still use photobucket have a much higher number of pics to host and they would find it worth it to pay? I wouldn't pay $5 a month for photobucket these days. Back 15 years ago, it would have been a necessity.

According to this story, yes, the charges are real. http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/06/photobucket-complaints-over-charging/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom