Disney Dummies: Recent Irrational and Foolish Ideas from WDP&R

180º

I'd agree with anyone who says the auction scene is kind of deplorable and depicts human trafficking. There's not much innocent or benign about it.

That said, this is censorship of art, and such censorship of art infuriates me. I absolutely resent this change.

Rich T

I'd agree with anyone who says the auction scene is kind of deplorable and depicts human trafficking. There's not much innocent or benign about it.
They're...PIRATES!!!! They are not innocent or benign people! They are murderers and scumbags! It's right there is the theme song:

We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot!

Seriously, do people expect to see them saving kittens and volunteering at the local homeless shelter??? Cripes!

Glad you're still against the change, though.
:)

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
They're...PIRATES!!!! They are not innocent or benign people! They are murderers and scumbags! It's right there is the theme song:

Seriously, do people expect to see them saving kittens and volunteering at the local homeless shelter??? Cripes!

Exactly. Why not be offended by the entire ride? Just get rid of it as a whole.

180º

Hold your horses, I'm with you completely! Like I said, it's kind of twisted, but totally appropriate for the subject matter. Is it appropriate for the venue, Disneyland? I'm sure someone has a great argument as to why not, but I frankly couldn't care less. Censorship of art is worse. I know "Disneyland is not a museum," but Pirates of the Caribbean is a pop culture icon and deserves to be preserved. Adding Jack Sparrow is one thing. But this is like painting over the Mona Lisa.

nevol

It is difficult to not see the argument of those advocating for such change, which is why I imagine it is happening. The strongest argument that P+R seems unable to grasp is the most simple one: It has been there, and has been a non-issue, for 50 years. The minute somebody internally threw a fit, concerned that someone in the parks might eventually throw one, it was a done deal. Sad. Go check their press release on Disney Parks Blog; very vocal opposition to the change, which surprises me because they usually censor their comment section, no?

Curious Constance

It is difficult to not see the argument of those advocating for such change, which is why I imagine it is happening. The strongest argument that P+R seems unable to grasp is the most simple one: It has been there, and has been a non-issue, for 50 years. The minute somebody internally threw a fit, concerned that someone in the parks might eventually throw one, it was a done deal. Sad. Go check their press release on Disney Parks Blog; very vocal opposition to the change, which surprises me because they usually censor their comment section, no?
I think they used to censor more heavily than they do now. It must now just be if you're saying something outright offensive or an attack on someone.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Up next for the READ and ROAST: Pixar Pier @ DCA....

What in the absolute HELL????????????

Holy crap, Disney has done it again. Lasseter... I respect and love your enthusiasm for Disneyland, I really do. I love your energy and your dedication. But man, do I hate you right now. The killing of DCA continues with more IP, specifically Pixar, but this time they're retheming an entire LAND. This land happens to be one of my favorite areas of the park. All of that work put into it during DCA's 5-year rebirth will go down the hole and will ultimately have been for nothing. I'm beyond angry.

And now PPP is heading to Disneyland. Instead of killing the parade, once and for all, it's moving across to my park.

What a disappointment!!!!!

mickEblu

Up next for the READ and ROAST: Pixar Pier @ DCA....

What in the absolute HELL????????????

Holy crap, Disney has done it again. Lasseter... I respect and love your enthusiasm for Disneyland, I really do. I love your energy and your dedication. But man, do I hate you right now. The killing of DCA continues with more IP, specifically Pixar, but this time they're retheming an entire LAND. This land happens to be one of my favorite areas of the park. All of that work put into it during DCA's 5-year rebirth will go down the hole and will ultimately have been for nothing. I'm beyond angry.

And now PPP is heading to Disneyland. Instead of killing the parade, once and for all, it's moving across to my park.

What a disappointment!!!!!

Man, they have no shame with this IP assault.

Angel Ariel

In general, doing lands entirely based on movies. While I am a huge fan of SWL coming to WDW (not so much to DL; that's more of a "what are they thinking" type thing) it seems like they are becoming more and more dependent on movies for lands instead of coming up with their own ideas for new lands. Think about the number of them: Carsland, A Bugs Land, Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land, Avatar Land..

I completely agree with this. I'd much rather see theme-based lands with multiple movies represented, than entire lands only representing 1 IP.

Angel Ariel

Don't draw attention to the song..next thing you know they'll replace that too :(

Professortango1

Totally agree.
It always seemed odd to me that the most Halloween themed Attraction in all the Park was NOT operating in it's original frightfully fun form for ...Halloween!
If there was ever a time of year I would think Guests would want to ride 'The Haunted Mansion' in it's original state I would think it would be during the Halloween season.
Touring haunted houses and enjoying spooky experiences at that time of year is a tradition, right..?

-

They theme the regular spooky attraction to an all-out festive Halloween themed attraction for Halloween. It works perfectly. Jack o lanters, skulls, flickering candles, creepy sing-song rhymes, crazier music. I would be devastated to not be able to ride HMH to celebrate Halloween. It is a must do for Halloweentime. If it was only changed for Christmas, then I probably wouldn't ride it. Plus, since Christmas goes up mid October, to change the ride for only Christmas means the ride would likely be closed Halloween and reopen the first or second week of November.

Professortango1

They are supposed to be lovable pirates though. We set sail WITH them and enjoy them. They are loves by their mommies and dads. Sexist/body shaming humor was much more mainstream and acceptable in the 60's. Now, humor has shifted and these topics are usually seen as edgy when comedians "go there." Disney is a lot of thing, but its not edgy.

Professortango1

Hold your horses, I'm with you completely! Like I said, it's kind of twisted, but totally appropriate for the subject matter. Is it appropriate for the venue, Disneyland? I'm sure someone has a great argument as to why not, but I frankly couldn't care less. Censorship of art is worse. I know "Disneyland is not a museum," but Pirates of the Caribbean is a pop culture icon and deserves to be preserved. Adding Jack Sparrow is one thing. But this is like painting over the Mona Lisa.

It isn't censorship. Nobody is forcing them to change this, its an internal decision. Plus, the ride has received numerous updates already, so the Mona Lisa thing is a tad disingenuous since it's been repainted a bit. Every attraction at Disneyland has been. Updating old scenes/effects is a staple of Disney.

dweezil78

They theme the regular spooky attraction to an all-out festive Halloween themed attraction for Halloween. It works perfectly. Jack o lanters, skulls, flickering candles, creepy sing-song rhymes, crazier music. I would be devastated to not be able to ride HMH to celebrate Halloween. It is a must do for Halloweentime. If it was only changed for Christmas, then I probably wouldn't ride it. Plus, since Christmas goes up mid October, to change the ride for only Christmas means the ride would likely be closed Halloween and reopen the first or second week of November.

You're totally entitled to your opinion..but I think the overlay reads wayyyy more Christmas than Halloween. It's the spooky version of Christmas.(i.e. 'What Happens When Two Holidays Collide... But Mostly Christmas') From the gift wrapped presents scattered about to the ginger bread house to the snow in the graveyard, it's all slanted towards Christmas. Even the ghost host says 'Welcome my friends to our Christmas delight' in the into to the stretching room and there is a countdown to Christmas outside.

If they balanced the holidays out more evenly I think the resentment many of us have towards it's extended stay would maybe lessen a bit -- would have been nice if the took a Coats/Davis approach and did the first part as Halloween and the second part as Christmas, but as it is now, you're pretty much blasted with holiday cheer the moment you get in line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom