How Do I Get My Virtual Short Medal?

smartmouse

Original Poster
The June 2017 Virtual Short 5K is my first runDisney event. I have wanted to do a runDisney event, but going in person hasn't worked out yet.

My family and I plan to complete the event today, but although I see a way to get a finisher's certificate I don't see how to mark the run completed to get the medal. I have searched the runDisney site, online and forums, but can't seem to find the answer.

Can someone please tell me how I let runDisney know I have completed my run so the medal gets mailed out to me?

Thanks,
Cristin

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Calling @LAKid53 for you (I live overseas so ALL of mine showed up before I even "officially" finished my first planned run with my DD - though I had already completed a 5 km run myself in June before it arrived ;))

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
@Swissmiss, the Kid is here, one eyed, so please excuse my typos as it's really hard to see with one eye..... Got bored laying around the house after my surgery, so I went for a nice 2.5 mile walk Thursday.

@smartmouse, the email you received (got mine mid-May) titled "It's Virtually Race Time" has a section titled Submit Your Run to enter your finish info. Go to that section and follow the steps. First, it takes you to the runDisney site to download your certificate. You will leave the runDisney site and a page pops up asking for info - your email, name, birthdate, which race you are reporting (by month), your finish time, etc. Provide the requested info and hit Submit Finish Time. I ran my June race on June 4th and still haven't received my medal, so I'm assuming they will be mailed once the month ends. I registered for all three, so I'm hoping I don't have to wait until August to receive the individual race medals.....

The 2018 Star Wars Dark Side 5k next April 20th is still open. That would be a good runDisney race for your first on property race. Won't be the mass crowd the Princess 5k is and it isn't girly......

smartmouse

Original Poster
@LAKid53 - Thank you for the great detailed reply! I never received that email, but my husband did. If someone else doesn't get the confirmation email "It's Virtually Race Time" they can go here (https://www.rundisney.com/virtual-running-shorts/) and follow those same instructions after looking for "finisher certificates" at the bottom of that page.

Funny you should suggest the Dark Side 5K! A friend and I have registered for that exact event. I am not a huge runner, but doing a 5K at Disney has been on my bucket list. Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

LAKid53

Premium Member
@LAKid53 - Thank you for the great detailed reply! I never received that email, but my husband did. If someone else doesn't get the confirmation email "It's Virtually Race Time" they can go here (https://www.rundisney.com/virtual-running-shorts/) and follow those same instructions after looking for "finisher certificates" at the bottom of that page.

Funny you should suggest the Dark Side 5K! A friend and I have registered for that exact event. I am not a huge runner, but doing a 5K at Disney has been on my bucket list. Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Happy to hear you're finally going to run on property! You will enjoy all the excitement of running at WDW.

Couple of things. Do some training, even if you plan on walking a majority of the race. Disney doesn't track your time for 5k races (no Balloon Ladies, thank goodness), but you should try to maintain the 16 minute mile minimum pace. There are some good Couch to 5k training programs. Expect to be assigned to one of the last corrals, so you might not start until 6:30 am. This year's races were warmer than last year's, so make sure to dress accordingly. If you plan on buying new running shoes, make sure to break them in several weeks before the race. Visit the training section on the runDisney site. While Galloway doesn't provide a training schedule for the 5ks, read what he has to say about hydration and resting before your race for one of the 10ks.

The past 2 years the 5k was run in Epcot, so I assume the same for the 2018 race. The race starts and finishes in the Epcot parking lot. An email will be sent out when race waivers are available - the email will also contain a link to the digital race guide. Make sure you read it, especially the sections on race transportation and your particular race. If you are staying on property, each Disney resort will have a board in the lobby with bus and start times for each race. Plan on getting up about 1 hour before you need to be at your bus stop. I show up at the stop about 15 minutes prior to the "need to be on bus time". Unless you are staying off property, ride the charted buses to/from the race. There will be road closures, resulting in traffic delays for all traffic.

You will need to pick up your bib and any preordered merchandise at the Expo on Thursday. Print out the race waiver before you arrive at WDW. While there are printers at the expo, you need to attend the first day, which will be a zoo. If you are interested in any of the race merchandise (pins, magnets, jacket), PRE-ORDER them through the registration process. The runDisney race merchandise area was packed this year with a long line to both enter the merchandise area and for cashiers. Preorder is especially important if you want one of the Dooney & Burke bags sold for each race.

In the running forum, there is a thread for the SW Dark Side. I'd watch that thread, so when it starts getting used again, you'll get notifications of postings. Most of them will be along the lines of "when are the waivers/guides available?" [around 2 weeks before race weekend] "I'm in Corral ?" [followed by joy or sorrow] "Can you believe the course for the (race name - usually the half)? Hardly any park time!" and comments like that. Plus, it's a good place to ask race specific questions and some may post photos from previous races.

In the running forum, there is a thread titled "How Many Disney Miles Have You Run". Make sure you join that thread. Your Virtual 5k miles are included, since they are official runDisney races, even if not on property. @Texas84 manages the thread and he will add you to the list.

Most important thing? Have fun.... and relax. Running on property is so much fun, you will meet lots of not just running enthusiasts, but Disney nerds. And costumes. There was a group dressed as TIE fighters for this year's 5k. And character photo opportunities - your race registration now comes with Photopass.

Good luck - I'll see you there! And hopefully this won't be your only WDW race.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@LAKid53 - glad you're at least able to walk some. We've been having such a heatwave here that running has been miserable. I've been doing it, but it's been tough some days.

@smartmouse - you've gotten some very solid advice from LAKid53. You may also want to check out the "What did you do?" thread - I've gotten both advice and encouragement from the posters in that thread.

LAKid53

Premium Member
@LAKid53 - glad you're at least able to walk some. We've been having such a heatwave here that running has been miserable. I've been doing it, but it's been tough some days.

@smartmouse - you've gotten some very solid advice from LAKid53. You may also want to check out the "What did you do?" thread - I've gotten both advice and encouragement from the posters in that thread.

I forgot about that thread, since I'm out of commission for another week....

Yeah, agree, it's a great thread to post what you regularly do (and not just running), marvel at @dreamfinder's pace, even when pushing his son's stroller, and get great advice and encouragement.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Got my medals today. Nicely packed and the included cooling towel was unexpected and a nice surprise.

Noticed that the card on upcoming races that was included didn't list the SW Light Side at DLR even though it listed the WDW Dark Side next year. No DLR races for 2018 are listed, even though Tinkerbell registration opened yesterday....or did it? I haven't checked the runDisney website.

ETA: Sorry about the duplicate post. Got an error message the first time I tried posting my comment, so I tried again...

Speaking of the 2018 Tinkerbell, there's a "check back for info" message on the race's page. According to the runDisney calendar, registration was supposed to open June 27th. Uh oh...

Last edited:

dreamfinder

Got my medals today. Nicely packed and the included cooling towel was unexpected and a nice surprise.

Noticed that the card on upcoming races that was included didn't list the SW Light Side at DLR even though it listed the WDW Dark Side next year. No DLR races for 2018 are listed, even though Tinkerbell registration opened yesterday....or did it? I haven't checked the runDisney website.

ETA: Sorry about the duplicate post. Got an error message the first time I tried posting my comment, so I tried again...

Speaking of the 2018 Tinkerbell, there's a "check back for info" message on the race's page. According to the runDisney calendar, registration was supposed to open June 27th. Uh oh...

Still wouldn't be terribly surprised if they are doing some big soul searching about DLR races. The Tink backlash (or at least from what I saw/read online) and the slow registration rates for the other DLR races recently I can see them rethinking the west coast events.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Still wouldn't be terribly surprised if they are doing some big soul searching about DLR races. The Tink backlash (or at least from what I saw/read online) and the slow registration rates for the other DLR races recently I can see them rethinking the west coast events.

From what I read on other discussion boards, the rumor mill is citing infighting at runDisney, construction of a new hotel/new lands and problems with the City of Anaheim issuing permits. I'm not familiar with the race routes, but one runner suggested that construction would dramatically alter the routes for all races. I don't keep up with what's going on at DLR. What new hotel?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom