Musicals (Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Others)

Princess Leia

Original Poster
I finally saw Chicago last night (touring company) after years of listening to the film soundtrack, thought "I'm sure WDWMagic has a musical thread!", and found nothing. So, here it is, the thread for people like me who have way too many soundtracks to count.

Some favorites of mine-
ALW- Phantom of the Opera
Sondheim- Company
Rodgers and Hammerstein- South Pacific
Loerner & Lowe- My Fair Lady
Kander & Ebb- Chicago
New musical- Hamilton
Off-Broadway- Heathers
Disney live action movie- Mary Poppins
Disney animated- Hunchback of Notre Dame
Online- "A Very Potter Musical" and "Twisted: The Untold Story of a Royal Vizier" (both are by Team Starkid, highly recommend both of them if you like Harry Potter or Disney)
Guilty pleasure- Mamma Mia! (Saw it in NYC about 10 years ago, left with a smile on my face and a dance in my feet)
First Broadway musical I saw- Beauty and the Beast

I'm seeing Something Rotten next month, and I'm really excited for it.

Last edited:

Simba's Mom

DS is a musician in NYC and he has friends who play for Broadway Musicals, including Aladdin. Since he's a Disney fanatic (and former CM in Entertainment), his dream is to play for the upcoming "Frozen" on Broadway (not until next year)

Princess Leia

Original Poster
DS is a musician in NYC and he has friends who play for Broadway Musicals, including Aladdin. Since he's a Disney fanatic (and former CM in Entertainment), his dream is to play for the upcoming "Frozen" on Broadway (not until next year)
What instrument does he play?

GTIDMB

My wife and I have seen Hamilton 3 times now (the first time with the entire original cast!), and it is everything it is hyped up to be. If you get a chance, you must see it. We also saw Dear Evan Hansen back in December, which was also very good. I've seen a bunch more over the years, and enjoy a good cast recording every once in awhile. Being a music teacher, I get to play in the pit for our high school musicals every year, so I experience the other side of things as well. Thanks for starting this thread so we can get our music geek on.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
My wife and I have seen Hamilton 3 times now (the first time with the entire original cast!), and it is everything it is hyped up to be. If you get a chance, you must see it. We also saw Dear Evan Hansen back in December, which was also very good. I've seen a bunch more over the years, and enjoy a good cast recording every once in awhile. Being a music teacher, I get to play in the pit for our high school musicals every year, so I experience the other side of things as well. Thanks for starting this thread so we can get our music geek on.
You're welcome! I saw 'Something Rotten' in Cleveland on Saturday and loved every minute of it.

I also just pulled the Hamilton soundtrack out again yesterday. I hadn't listened to it in months, but it welcomed me back like an old friend. Someday, I don't know when, I will finally see it. Whether that's in NYC, Chicago, or Cleveland (if I can get tickets for the tour), I don't know, but I want to see it within the next two years.

BrianB24

You're welcome! I saw 'Something Rotten' in Cleveland on Saturday and loved every minute of it.

I also just pulled the Hamilton soundtrack out again yesterday. I hadn't listened to it in months, but it welcomed me back like an old friend. Someday, I don't know when, I will finally see it. Whether that's in NYC, Chicago, or Cleveland (if I can get tickets for the tour), I don't know, but I want to see it within the next two years.

Something Rotten is so good! I saw it twice in NYC and once in Boston. I got very excited when I saw that there was a musicals thread on here! :)

BrianB24

Thank you very much! For the record, my favorite shows are Rent, Spring Awakening, Pippin, Newsies, American Psycho, Sweeney Todd and Les Miz. I could go on and on and on....I live in Boston but go to NYC several times a year, so I see shows whenever I can!

BuddyThomas

There are a few threads like this lingering around this board, and I've posted on all of them since I work in the professional theatre....but most of these end up dying after 10 or 20 posts.

But annnnyway.....I'll give it another shot, and let me start with this rare first look of Frozen on Broadway:

PS - In case anyone doesn't get it, this is a joke. ;)

Princess Leia

Original Poster

If anyone missed it, James Corden and Lin-Manuel Miranda teamed up for another 'episode' of Crosswalk the Musical, tackling 'Hair'. This is my favorite installment yet. :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom