YC refurbed walkthrough

DisneyPrincess5

Ahh still can't get over the floor situation. I get it. It's easier and I guess cheaper to maintain, better for allergies, way easier to clean. I have all hard wood floors in my home so I get it. I just guess I like the coziness the rugs provide for me when in away from home. It's weird to see those floors. Feels sterile.

deeevo

Original Poster
Ahh still can't get over the floor situation. I get it. It's easier and I guess cheaper to maintain, better for allergies, way easier to clean. I have all hard wood floors in my home so I get it. I just guess I like the coziness the rugs provide for me when in away from home. It's weird to see those floors. Feels sterile.
Same.. and the no fan kills me. It's Florida for God's sake. I live here and I have had a ceiling fan in every house I have ever lived in.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Holy carp sterile does not begin to describe those characterless rooms, It looks like a hospice not a hotel and those floors are going to be slick when wet (or someone oversprays suntan spray).

Looks like CHEAP TO MAINTAIN is in full swing here.

The missing fans are a big deal especially since Disney's A/C is set to 78 or so when it's running but it shuts down in the middle of the night so without the fan you will have a nice stiflingly hot room when you wake up in the middle of the night.

MerlinTheGoat

Looks horrible. Modern sterile blandness devoid of pretty much any kind of theme, charm or anything that feels worthy of "Disney". There was obviously plenty of opportunity to update the old rooms to be more deluxe worthy, but they at least had theme and charm. This renovation did nothing besides remove any sense of uniqueness the previous rooms had. And anyone in the company involved in this rehab who thought the alterations made the rooms more deluxe and upscale is having a laugh.

And I was having an unusually optimistic opinion of WDW lately too...

Roknrollrghostr

When I watched the video I thought the room was very nice, thought it was themed just enough and especially love that balcony and view. I've never stayed at the Yacht Club and didn't know what the rooms looked like previously, so I looked around for some photos. When comparing the two, there is definitely something charming, nostalgic and cozy about the old rooms. They were also much more colorful and the carpet does add an inviting warmth. It makes me a little sad that all the new refurbishments I have seen throughout property don't have the same attention to unique details in decor that they previously had, but I guess that's becoming dated? The new rooms feel more modern and perhaps lack the personality of the old ones, but I don't dislike them.

GCTales

I had a couple of thoughts....

Very sterile.... Reminds me up a higher quality version of what they are doing at POP.

Same showered as seen at POP.

I like the sliding barn door.. Seems like Disney is reusing that at multiple resorts now.

I think I saw multiple usb plugs on the counter under the tv. That would be a nice thing that they seem to be doing in the refurbished.

Seems like carpet going away is also a theme we are seeing in the refurbished at most resorts

deeevo

Original Poster
I hope WDW knows what they are doing. The reason I pay a 50% mark up to stay on property is the theming of the resort not just convenience. This includes the exterior, the room, pool and eating areas. They have started making the quick service areas generic ( see POFQ, WL leaked pics, and YC referb) and now the rooms. I can get this theming staying on Plaza Blvd. Nothing magic about it. Just boring.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Holy carp sterile does not begin to describe those characterless rooms, It looks like a hospice not a hotel and those floors are going to be slick when wet (or someone oversprays suntan spray).

Looks like CHEAP TO MAINTAIN is in full swing here.

The missing fans are a big deal especially since Disney's A/C is set to 78 or so when it's running but it shuts down in the middle of the night so without the fan you will have a nice stiflingly hot room when you wake up in the middle of the night.
Original Take!

GastonLeFou

YC is my favorite resort but I have to say I am disappointed with the room refurb. I do NOT like the hardwoord floors at all, and it seems very sterile with no disney magic. I am staying at Beach Club next week and at least those refurbished rooms look slightly more cozy and the colors are nicer.

LAM378

Ugh. All the character those rooms had is lost. I didn't like what I saw in still pictures, and this video just confirms that I hate the changes.

We've alternated YC/BC the past few years just based on availability, and anytime we ended up staying at BC I'd be pining to be at YC. Not anymore! I doubt I'll even consider YC next year, and I sure am glad that BC's refurb happened before the era of hard floors and no ceiling fans and utter lack of charm and originality.

captainkidd

Few thoughts:

Rooms at YC have lost all theme and character. Again, Disney getting rid of ceiling fans is just beyond words stupid.
The refurbed rooms at Pop Century are ugly as sin. They look exactly like a patients room at a hospital.
Is it just me or do Disney and Universal refurbed rooms always come out inferior to the previous design? Royal Pacific rooms were awesome, and now they are hideous. Hard Rock rooms were a bit sterile, but still very nice looking. New rooms aren't horrible, but they don't exactly scream hard rock. As for Disney, Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, Yacht Club, Pop Century all have lost much of their theme and character. Just not a fan of the IKEA look.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom