Pre-Trip Good thing I like warm hugs...because it's going to be hot between all those people!

Although I am in the middle of another PTR for our DLP trip, I also wanted to get started on this one because I HAVE TWO UPCOMING DISNEY TRIPS IN THE WORKS :happy: **happy dance**

So without further ado...let's get to some of the details of this trip.

Introductions
Hello. I'm Michelle and I am a Disney addict, undoubtedly if you are reading this you are as well so it's nice to be in the same company. I have no idea how many trips I've taken to WDW (yes, I've been very lucky growing up in a DVC family), but this will be my first trip back since our Disneymoon in August 2015 - yes, I've been away for just over 2 years by the time of this trip which is UNHEARD of.

upload_2017-4-26_12-43-34.png

And this is my handsome prince Ryan. Ryan has traveled to WDW many times - some with his family when he was younger (always staying offsite, renting a house nearby) and when we met , he started joining my family trips. Ryan is not the Disney addict that I am, but he agrees to frequent trips to make me happy. Although I would be content going to Disney (one park or another) for every trip, Ryan pushes me out of that comfort zones and makes me experience new places and cultures. At the end of the day, we always return to WDW though!

upload_2017-4-26_12-53-51.png

When
We will be visiting at the craziest time of the year (because apparently we are crazy)! We will arrive on Tuesday December 26,2017 and will be staying until Tuesday January 2, 2018. We will then move over to Universal Studios for a quick two day trip until Thursday January 4, 2018 - this was part of the compromise to "returning to Disney" that I've gotten used to making!

Since I am Canadian, we get December 26th off as a statutory holiday so we initially wanted to head to the world earlier and be there for actual Christmas day. However, we have a rule in our family that Christmas day is ALWAYS spent together and since this is just a couples trip, no go on missing Christmas - which I am fine with!

Why
Well....why not?
Okay, not the greatest answer - but really, seriously, why not?

So this year marks a very special anniversary for Ryan and I. We will have been together for 15 years (yes, we started dating back in high school when we were just wee little kiddies). Ryan also proposed to me during the Christmas season (late November) during Wishes at MK back in 2012. AND Christmas is my absolute favorite time of the year; even more so when you see the amazing decorations all over Disney World.

The last time we were in Disney World for Christmas (like the actual Christmas break) was back in 2006, so we are due to return! It has been on my mind for quite a while (as you would expect), but I think the "we have to go back" set in for Ryan last Christmas when I mentioned to him that;

"I'm sitting here on Christmas day, watching the Disney parade, in my Disney PJ's, with my Mickey Christmas hat, drinking a mimosa out of my Disney champagne glass".

See...I wasn't joking!

upload_2017-4-26_13-9-51.png

YES...I was trying to throw myself a pity party for not being IN Disney World on Christmas LOL :banghead:. Needless to say....I planted the seed in Ryan's head that very moment! ;)

Where

As I mentioned above (and before on these boards), I've been very lucky to have grown up in a family who bought into DVC WAY back in 1992 (or maybe 1993) when Old Key West was the ONLY DVC Resort (and actually used to be name Disney's Vacation Club Resort)

Needless to say, I spent many many many trips there as this was the only DVC resort for the first few years of the program. This also makes this truly my "home away from home". So we will be spending our trip here.

upload_2017-4-26_13-13-16.png

upload_2017-4-26_13-13-26.png

Not only this is "home" for me, but it is a beautiful resort. It is HUGE so it can be difficult to navigate, but we have decided to rent a car this trip, so no worries on that front!

For the Universal part of our trip, we will be staying at Cabana Bay Beach Resort.

upload_2017-4-26_13-17-10.png

upload_2017-4-26_13-17-16.png

I've never stayed here before (truth be told, I've never stayed on Universal property - if we've gone it's been a day trip during our Disney holiday), but I've heard great things about it so I am excited!

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
One time it was maintenance issues and we ended losing 2 days of our holiday. This past November our flight was cancelled due to weather which was not their fault but they were horrible to deal with. We a direct 3 hour flight to Denver and they tried rebooking us on a 18 hour flight with 4 stops. We ended up just cancelling the whole trip. With that being said anything can happen with any airline. And honestly right now united offers the best times for us right now. So we may have to book with them too.

United is great when everything goes right, and it does a lot of the time! Their customer service is awful when you have a delay or cancellation. But at least they don't randomly change the time of your flight the night before like American does :rolleyes::mad:

mlegerto

Original Poster
We'll be there at the same time!! Our original plan was for December 26 arrival but we ran into the same issue with Southwest flights. We ended up moving our trip up by two days and the tickets became $1,300 cheaper. So now our first park day is Christmas and our plans only overlap the morning of the 27th.

Looking forward to your report!!

That's awesome! Hopefully we run into one another.

I would LOVE to have been able to move our trip up a few days, but since it's just hubby and I going down we couldn't miss Christmas with the family (it's a die hard rule in our family). I was shocked at the prices Southwest released...I don't think I've ever seen them that high before - again, peak travel season, but we've done it before and it wasn't that much.

I hope you enjoy your trip!!

mlegerto

Original Poster
One time it was maintenance issues and we ended losing 2 days of our holiday. This past November our flight was cancelled due to weather which was not their fault but they were horrible to deal with. We a direct 3 hour flight to Denver and they tried rebooking us on a 18 hour flight with 4 stops. We ended up just cancelling the whole trip. With that being said anything can happen with any airline. And honestly right now united offers the best times for us right now. So we may have to book with them too.

Yikes! I pray that none of that happens to us. However, as you said it could happen on any airline (obviously HOW a situation is dealt with differs between companies though).

Starting your trip at the "right time" is always important to me - I don't want to arrive to my destination at 7 am when nothing is open yet/ very very very small chance of the room being ready and I don't want to arrive at 7 pm when the day is practically over and was a bit of a waste (unless I am flying after work or something, but not when we already have the full day off), so that's a big part of why we booked with United.

Hope you guys find some flights soon! I'll keep myself updated in your PTR!

United is great when everything goes right, and it does a lot of the time! Their customer service is awful when you have a delay or cancellation. But at least they don't randomly change the time of your flight the night before like American does :rolleyes::mad:

I think all airlines are pretty good when everything goes right....I'm just hoping that we're in a good situation for things to go our way - first flight of the day, short distance flights, minimal layover....etc. Here's hoping !

mlegerto

Original Poster
Advice Needed...

As previously mentioned, we are hoping to spend NYE doing the World Showcase and drinking/eating our way through it!

Soo...if you were to have 1 drink and 1 treat/snack/food items from each country, what would they be?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Advice Needed...

As previously mentioned, we are hoping to spend NYE doing the World Showcase and drinking/eating our way through it!

Soo...if you were to have 1 drink and 1 treat/snack/food items from each country, what would they be?

I will offer but a few suggestions:

Mexico: cheese empanadas from the quick service and an avocado margarita

France: Grand Marnier Slush and a duo au chocolat from the Patisserie

Germany: a pretzel and a beer

mlegerto

Original Poster
Hello everyone following along.

Just wanted to give a heads up that I will be taking a few days away from my PTR and responding to all of your TR's. Sadly, we lost my Grampy yesterday after a long battle with pulmonary fibrosis. He went peacefully surrounded by family and loved ones. I am going to miss him terribly as he was a huge part of my life, but I am so relieved that he is no longer in pain (as this disease makes it incredibly difficult to breathe, with the feeling of drowning with every breath).

I was going through fond memories with him and came across a few photos I wanted to share (basically just a form of therapy for me at the moment).

My baptism

204654-0d2b9e32967246f3030d2b915464074c.jpg

One of our trips to WDW. I THINK this was Ohana's before a renovation
204655-ebc3a66ccec8d719a5e358f831e8548f.jpg

One of our trips to WDW. Renting bikes at Caribbean Beach

204656-ba5edf6267bea9d548bc876b1269ad70.jpg

One of our trips to WDW. I think these were flowers within a parade at Magic Kingdom

204657-a9c285f7f7742cd00795958a9b226fd8.jpg

Most recently at my wedding - which I am so grateful he was able to attend (he had a heart attack the week before)

204658-e26fb8e62b926508ce5b6b426da1e423.jpg

I know you will all send your prayers, so thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 19.JPG
    19.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 35.JPG
    35.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 36.JPG
    36.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 82.jpg
    82.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

gdisneyfans

Just wanted to give a heads up that I will be taking a few days away from my PTR and responding to all of your TR's. Sadly, we lost my Grampy yesterday after a long battle with pulmonary fibrosis. He went peacefully surrounded by family and loved ones. I am going to miss him terribly as he was a huge part of my life, but I am so relieved that he is no longer in pain (as this disease makes it incredibly difficult to breathe, with the feeling of drowning with every breath).

I was going through fond memories with him and came across a few photos I wanted to share (basically just a form of therapy for me at the moment).

My baptism

One of our trips to WDW. I think these were flowers within a parade at Magic Kingdom

Most recently at my wedding - which I am so grateful he was able to attend (he had a heart attack the week before)

:cry::cry::cry: So sorry for your loss and definitely sending thoughts and prayers. Thank you for sharing your photos of him with us.

fractal

My baptism

So sorry for your loss.

Prayers sent.

mlegerto

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the kind words, prayers and support. It's wonderful having such a community to support in times of need. It's been a trying week, but I have to get back to my regular schedule and what better way than to jump back on the boards!

Without further ado, let's get back to planning this wonderful Christmas trip!

Disney has just started releasing the park hours for our trip, so the plans I previously listed will change once the whole week is out.

Couple of questions for you all;

1. Does anyone know if there is a "scheduled end date" for the Star Wars fireworks at Hollywood Studios? I've quickly checked the December hours so far and they don't seem to be listed (but Fantasmic! is and HEA at MK).
2. When will they release dates/times/prices for Magic Kingdom Dessert Party - we are hoping to do a dessert party on December 30th to see the NYE fireworks and as this will be in high demand, I will need to book it the day it comes out!
3. I would love to do the Tiffins with ROL dining package, but right now they are only released until September. Any ides on when they will release new dates?

I still need suggestions on favorite drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and snacks at the World Showcase so I can compile my "Drinks Around the World" checklist (once I have this, I will post it for others to reference as well)! Thanks @ajrwdwgirl for getting us started! Here's what I've got so far (some suggestions and others from researching online)
MEXICO
Drink(s): Avocado/Jalapeno/Blood Orange Margarita
Snack(s): Cheese Empanadas, Churritos

NORWAY
Drink(s):
Snack(s): School Bread

CHINA
Drink(s): Tsing Tao Beer, Green Team Plum Slush
Snack(s):

GERMANY
Drink(s): Altenmunster Oktoberfest Beer, Schofferhofer Grapefrit Beer (Radler)
Snack(s): Pretzel, Caramel Popcorn

ITALY
Drink(s): Wine Flight (Tutto Gusto), Moretti La Rossa Beer
Snack(s): Gelato (ice cream sandwich), Cannoli (Tutto Italia cart is often not open)

*someone once mentioned to me a really nice Rose' wine they had here, but I cannot recall the name...anyone know what I'm talking about?*

AMERICA
Drink(s): Bell Oberon Beer
Snack(s): S'mores Mousse Brownie (Liberty Inn)

*someone suggested not getting a snack in this pavilion, but instead going to the Refreshment Port to get a Cronut....would this still count as an "American Snack" on our checklist to you guys?

JAPAN
Drink(s): Kirin Ichiban Beer, Sake
Snack(s):

MOROCCO
Drink(s):
Snack(s):

FRANCE
Drink(s): Grand Marnier Slush, Grey Goose Orange Slush (this one is a fav. of ours already!)
Snack(s): Napoleon, Citron Tarte, Duo Au Chocolat, Ice Cream

UNITED KINGDOM
Drink(s): Bumblebee Blend, Black and Tan Blend, Golden Fox Blend (Rose & Crown)
Snack(s): Fish & Chips

CANADA
Drink(s): La Fin Du Monde Beer
Snack(s):

Please help me fill in any gaps, add your must have items AND let me know your thoughts on items I already have listed!

Within the next week I expect the park hours to be posted for the full length of our trip AND our ADR window opens next week so I will soon have some more exciting updates for you!

Here's where our countdown is as of today:
Days until vacation: 189
Days until Fastpass window: 127
Days until Dining window: 7

mlegerto

Original Poster
On our Epcot day, the hours are posted at 8 - 9 am EMH then 9 - 10:30 regular park hours. I would like to somehow throughout the day ride Soarin', Test Track and Frozen Ever After and have breakfast at Garden Grill. Since we are visiting at Christmas (peak peak peak season) and Epcot has the tiered system for Fastpasses....I am trying to figure out how to do all of this with the minimum wait time.

Here's what I'm thinking...please let me know if you think this will work, if I am bonkers or if you have another suggestion that you think would work better!

Rope drop EMH at 8 am
Head straight to Soarin' Around the World
Then to Living with the Land
Breakfast Reservation at Garden Grill (8:45/9:00 am?)
Book a Fastpass for Test Track to be used at some point (not sure what the available time will be, probably after breakfast or later in the early afternoon)
Go to World Showcase for opening and get in line for Frozen Ever After for opening

Question is....when do they allow you to begin lining up for World Showcase attractions? If WSC opens at 11 am, when would I need to be there to line up for Frozen?

amjt660

Premium Member
On our Epcot day, the hours are posted at 8 - 9 am EMH then 9 - 10:30 regular park hours. I would like to somehow throughout the day ride Soarin', Test Track and Frozen Ever After and have breakfast at Garden Grill. Since we are visiting at Christmas (peak peak peak season) and Epcot has the tiered system for Fastpasses....I am trying to figure out how to do all of this with the minimum wait time.

Here's what I'm thinking...please let me know if you think this will work, if I am bonkers or if you have another suggestion that you think would work better!

Rope drop EMH at 8 am
Head straight to Soarin' Around the World
Then to Living with the Land
Breakfast Reservation at Garden Grill (8:45/9:00 am?)
Book a Fastpass for Test Track to be used at some point (not sure what the available time will be, probably after breakfast or later in the early afternoon)
Go to World Showcase for opening and get in line for Frozen Ever After for opening

Question is....when do they allow you to begin lining up for World Showcase attractions? If WSC opens at 11 am, when would I need to be there to line up for Frozen?
Not sure about the FEA plan.
When I was there in December FEA opened up early - same time as Future World.
If you wait to line up until after breakfast you will be facing a long line ( think 90-120 min depending on how many times it has broken down so far)

That sounded negative but FEA did break down a lot on our last trip and everytime it breaks down Standby goes through the roof because the FP line gets longer.

C and I did it at rope drop - we came through the IG and rushed to Norway
Our line was still a good 15-20 at that point.

Max

Doc Disney

When will they release dates/times/prices for Magic Kingdom Dessert Party - we are hoping to do a dessert party on December 30th to see the NYE fireworks and as this will be in high demand, I will need to book it the day it comes out!

If its anything like 4th of July there will not be a dessert party. They don't seem to do them for their special fireworks. California Grill will still have their Celebration at the Top dessert party though

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom