Take over my DVC rental?

Oski99

Original Poster
i don't post often, and not entirely sure of the rules, so if this is not allowed or in the wrong place feel free to delete...

I have a reservation through Davids DVC rentals for a 1 bedroom, Old Key West, 12/30 through 1/7. Total points 226.

I paid $15/point for the rental.

I am now unable to go! Such a bummer. As I'm sure everyone knows, the rental is non refundable. However, after calling davids there is an option to transfer the reservation to someone else. There is a $3/pp fee to do so.

So, looking for someone who may be interested in taking this reservation at $4068, which is the original rental price plus the fee. Yes, I know this is more expensive than renting through Davids directly because of the extra fee, but still about $1000 less than the same room cash through Disney ($5077 as of June 17th). I figure this will be a high demand time and availability is likely to be limited.

Thanks! Everything goes through Davids so all the typical guarantees that David's rental offers would apply.

DVC Mike

I don't know about David's rental agreement, but many include a phrase similar to this: Renter may not sub-lease to a third party.

Oski99

Original Poster
Yes that correct. But this is not a sub-lease, instead the reservation would be fully transferred from my name to whoever would like to take it over. This is all according to the staff at Davids....

correcaminos

Yes that correct. But this is not a sub-lease, instead the reservation would be fully transferred from my name to whoever would like to take it over. This is all according to the staff at Davids....
Try posting it on mousewners too. Though truthfully you should be the one to pay the transfer fee. Yes it sucks to not be able to go, but at least you won't be out all the money.

Oski99

Original Poster
Thanks for tip about mouseowners, I will check it out! In terms of the fee, everything is always negotiable...

Oski99

Original Poster
I talked to Davids at length - they are willing to put it up for rental but that comes at a cost of additional $4/point. Since my reservation was 226 points, it would cost me nearly $1000 to not go on this trip - and that's hard to swallow. While better than losing all of the money, I am looking for some other options first.

Oski99

Original Poster
Bumping this a bit. I realize this may not be the best location for this post. Any suggestions on where to post an offer like this? Several sites do not allow this type of offer and only allow posting from DVC owners. I get it, the last thing I want to do is create any perception of a scam, but this is a legitimate offer and a way for a family to save quite a bit of money off of rack rate. Any thoughts?

Phonedave

Bumping this a bit. I realize this may not be the best location for this post. Any suggestions on where to post an offer like this? Several sites do not allow this type of offer and only allow posting from DVC owners. I get it, the last thing I want to do is create any perception of a scam, but this is a legitimate offer and a way for a family to save quite a bit of money off of rack rate. Any thoughts?

Availability aside, you are going to have a tough sell here. You are trying to sell something that anybody can go an buy on their own for a lower, or at least the same price. I know that you are trying to save some of what you spent, but expecting sombody to pay full price,a dn then foot part of the transfer fee on top of it is not going to be an easy sell.

On top of that, you are in the DVC sub-forum here. Just about everyone who reads these boards either already owns DVC, or is knowledge about the rental process and would not go for your offer because they know they can get the same for less by going directly to David's.

I think your best bet is tooffer your reservation at a discount to the price that a normal reservation at David's would cost. That really is the only way you are going to generate any amount of interest.

-dave

Oski99

Original Poster
Availability aside, you are going to have a tough sell here. You are trying to sell something that anybody can go an buy on their own for a lower, or at least the same price. I know that you are trying to save some of what you spent, but expecting sombody to pay full price,a dn then foot part of the transfer fee on top of it is not going to be an easy sell.

On top of that, you are in the DVC sub-forum here. Just about everyone who reads these boards either already owns DVC, or is knowledge about the rental process and would not go for your offer because they know they can get the same for less by going directly to David's.

I think your best bet is tooffer your reservation at a discount to the price that a normal reservation at David's would cost. That really is the only way you are going to generate any amount of interest.

-dave

I agree, probably the wrong forum. Any thoughts about where I should post it?

I know this may be a bit over Davids rate, but my thought was that it is over a very busy and popular time where I assume the majority of on site rooms will be sold out, and even with the fee included this is still about $1000 less than rack rate...Certainly if there is still availability through Davids that would make sense - but I imagine that availability is already gone or will be gone soon?

Phonedave

I agree, probably the wrong forum. Any thoughts about where I should post it?

I know this may be a bit over Davids rate, but my thought was that it is over a very busy and popular time where I assume the majority of on site rooms will be sold out, and even with the fee included this is still about $1000 less than rack rate...Certainly if there is still availability through Davids that would make sense - but I imagine that availability is already gone or will be gone soon?

That first week in January is unavailable for 1BR in OKW, which does help your cause. In fact all of OKW is unavailable that week - its all partial availability

You may have a shot - i would see if you could work with David's. They would know when they get a request for that week. If they know that you were trying to get rid of your rental, they may be able to put you in touch with someone. You could then discuss pricing. If that week was available, I would not see David's helping you out, but now that it is pretty much closed, they may be willing to do so.

-dave

Oski99

Original Poster
That first week in January is unavailable for 1BR in OKW, which does help your cause. In fact all of OKW is unavailable that week - its all partial availability

You may have a shot - i would see if you could work with David's. They would know when they get a request for that week. If they know that you were trying to get rid of your rental, they may be able to put you in touch with someone. You could then discuss pricing. If that week was available, I would not see David's helping you out, but now that it is pretty much closed, they may be willing to do so.

-dave

I wish. I have been trying everything possible to get David's to work with me - with absolutely no luck. It's really unfortunate, because I was a fan of David's in the past, but no longer.

I understand this is a nonrefundable reservation, and David's is within their rights to say use it or lose it. They are willing to try to resell the points, but are adamant that no matter what, I will have to pay $4 per point to resell - a $904 penalty. As I wrote above, even if I find a family myself to take over the reservation, they'll charge $3 per point. They will not put me in touch with anyone asking to rent my same dates - only if I pay the fee will they attempt to resell.

While I appreciate their willingness to work with me, if they are going to do so, in my opinion it should be reasonable. What they are doing is charging a ridiculous and extravagant fee to increase their profits - way more than ever required to cover their costs.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
While I appreciate their willingness to work with me, if they are going to do so, in my opinion it should be reasonable. What they are doing is charging a ridiculous and extravagant fee to increase their profits - way more than ever required to cover their costs.
And you base this statement on what? Your opinion that the fee is unreasonable or some other basis that is factually verifiable?

nickys

Premium Member
Try thinking of it like this.

David's have already paid the owner 70% of the agreed amount, and will have to pay the remainder 30% on the date of your check-in. You were presumably happy with the amount they make for arranging the holiday you wanted.

The "penalty" is a fee for essentially having to start again with matching the owner and a new renter. You think somehow they should do that bit for nothing? Despite having signed an agreement.

I sympathise with your predicament, but fail to see why you think you should not be out of pocket at all for this. If the holiday was covered by insurance, you would still be paying an excess fee. I have no idea what amount that might be in the US, and it would probably be less than the $900, but this is the big drawback to renting points versus booking direct.

Would you rather be $900 out of pocket or $4000? That's what you need to ask yourself. The longer you vent and delay asking David's to try and re-sell the points, the longer you'll need to wait for them to rent those points again so you can recoup the money you've paid out.

21stamps

If it makes you feel any better- I recently cancelled a cruise and lost the majority of the cruise fare as a cancellation fee. Sucks...but had no choice due to my wonderful job.

If I were you I would just pay the $1k and be done with it. Better than getting stuck with the entire amount if you can't get rid of it.

If you want to keep advertising, maybe split the penalty fee with whomever you would be transferring to. That seems a little more fair and attractive than expecting/asking the other person to pay the penalty.

Good luck!

Oski99

Original Poster
Thanks everyone - I appreciate the feedback. I agree, I shouldn't expect to not lose out on the deal, and paying a penalty to cancel is to be expected.

I also agree with splitting the fee - although this has become quite a bit of stress and I think I will end up just paying the full $4 fee and allowing David's to try to re-rent.

Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom