The NonDisney MARVEL Comics Film Thread

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3382243/venom-sony-revives-spider-man-spinoff/

THR reports that Sony has tapped Dante Harper (Edge of Tomorrow) to pen a script for the dark spinoff, Venom, something that is being envisioned as a franchise apart from and unrelated to the upcoming Spider-Man movie in the works with actor Tom Holland.

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, stewards of the Spider-Man properties, are producing and overseeing the project.

Venom was introduced in 1988 in “The Amazing Spider-Man” #298-300, scripted by David Michelinie and drawn by the legendary Todd McFarlane and Mike Zeck.

The character is an alien symbiote that need a human host to survive (Peter Parker brought the alien back from outer space in “Secret Wars” #8). In return, the alien empowers its victim with incredible powers. Parker was able to separate from the alien before becoming fused indefinitely, while Brock and the symbiote found perfect unity in their hatred of Parker (who cost Brock his journalist job).

For the longest time, Venom was a villain but then morphed into an anti-hero and even (almost) good guy, explains the site. In his current incarnation, Venom is paired with Flash Thompson, a Peter Parker bully-turned-close friend and now a government agent.

The character made its screen appearance in Spider-Man 3 and was played by Topher Grace. A spin-off has been in development in several incarnations, with Gary Ross and Josh Trank among the director coming and going, and writers such as Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese (Deadpool) and Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci penning versions.

Adds the site: This Venom is meant to not only stand on its own but to also launch its own franchise.

Princess Leia

Is anyone actually excited for Venom? I mean, he's a better known comic character than the Guardians were, but this sounds like another failed franchise attempt from Sony.

Mickey81

Is anyone actually excited for Venom? I mean, he's a better known comic character than the Guardians were, but this sounds like another failed franchise attempt from Sony.
I'm going to go with no. I have no faith in Sony without marvel studios. I would love to see Sony and marvel use venom and carnage in a future spidey movie.

Princess Leia

There were rumors of it being a horror film as well.

I'm going to go with no. I have no faith in Sony without marvel studios. I would love to see Sony and marvel use venom and carnage in a future spidey movie.
There are rumors of a Black Cat/Silver Sable movie for Sony too. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-tackling-silver-sable-black-cat-movie-988065 I'm excited for Black Cat, just wish she was actually going to be in something with Spider-Man.

It looks like Sony is creating a Spider-Man Characters franchise... without Spider-Man.

champdisney

There are rumors of a Black Cat/Silver Sable movie for Sony too. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-tackling-silver-sable-black-cat-movie-988065 I'm excited for Black Cat, just wish she was actually going to be in something with Spider-Man.

It looks like Sony is creating a Spider-Man Characters franchise... without Spider-Man.
Agreed. Those characters have absolute no meaning without Spider-Man. Spider-Man fuels these individuals to be dastardly, without the Spider, who?

Princess Leia

Maybe it's like the Spiderman license- if they cease to utilize it, the rights revert back to Marvel.
So they have to keep making Fantastic 4 movies... or they lose the right to make Fantastic 4 movies.
Oh that's exactly what it is, but they really need a better supervisor for their F4 films. X-Men are touch and go (the best films, IMO, are X-Men, X2, The Wolverine, Days of Future Past, Deadpool, and Logan), but at least they're good as a whole.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom