Ohana- breakfast or dinner?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
They are completely different and both worth doing. Just gotta decide if you want breakfast with characters or dinner with it's Polynesian food with no characters. We love both. In fact we are going both in December. ;)

Last edited:

kap91

Dinner. Breakfast is more or less just a standard character American breakfast with a few Hawaiian touches.

Dinner is when the full capabilities of the restaurant are used (open fire grill) and a much broader and unique array of food is served.

wwmmd

They are completely different and both worth doing. Just gotta decide if you want breakfast with characters or dinner with it's Polynesian food with no characters. We love both. In fact we are going both in December. ;)

I agree. We have done both more than once. To me there is nothing special about the breakfast besides the characters and the bread. Now the dinner, we love. The food is good and plentiful and it's a unique experience. This is my almost 12yo daughters favorite place to eat at WDW (for dinner).

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

Dinner, a thousand times.

For the record, we've done both. Here's the rundown:

Breakfast: Standard fare (waffles, bacon, eggs, fruit) with absolutely nothing unique or special offered, and no better in quality than what you'd find on the free Continental breakfast buffet at your local budget hotel. The Characters on offer (Lilo and Stitch -- who? Oh yeah, the ones from that annoying movie the kids couldn't sit through even once, although my son's hunger to meet Stitch could have been met for far less expense with a visit to the Main Street flagpole -- and Mickey/Pluto, who are great but who can be met half a dozen other places on property) weren't much of a draw for us. (The character interaction was also the most hurried and terrible we'd ever experienced, and our seating location and service were dismal as well, but I'm trying to leave those aspects out of my analysis as they can vary by visit.) I might feel differently if the menu had some pizzazz or if Moana was appearing, but as it is,'Ohana breakfast is the second-biggest Disney dining dud we've ever had and we felt we'd completely wasted our money on it.

Dinner: A Polynesian-inspired menu including pork dumplings, sticky honey-coriander chicken wings, tossed salad and bread, lo mein with vegetables, skewer-grilled shrimp, steak and pork, and banana bread pudding, served family-style while a beautiful ukelele player circulates the room, occasionally inviting the children to join her for the hula, etc. Dinner at 'Ohana (both the menu and the entertainment) have been enjoyed by my family on multiple occasions, and though we've also seen sluggish service (once) and/or gotten a "bad" seat at dinner (once), the rest of the experience made up for it, and we've never left disappointed or feeling that it wasn't worth the money.

Last edited:

RefillableMug

If you just want characters (and POG juice!!), go for breakfast. But if it's for the food, I would definitely choose dinner. The food at breakfast, while good, is your average breakfast menu (sausage, eggs, bacon...). The food at dinner is amazing! It's all-you-can eat: steak, chicken, shrimp, noodles, wings, salad, bread, vegetables, pot stickers, and bread pudding! I tried dinner there for the first time last year and am already planning to go back for my upcoming trip.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Dinner. Breakfast is more or less just a standard character American breakfast with a few Hawaiian touches.

Dinner is when the full capabilities of the restaurant are used (open fire grill) and a much broader and unique array of food is served.
I wouldnt say broader and unique. I can get pork dumplings, wings, salad, and meat skewers pretty much anywhere.

The draw for dinner is atmosphere. Get a 8:30 seating and you are watching the fireworks with music pipes in.

yedliW

I know I'll be in the minority here.. but I'm not a fan of dinner there. It isn't against the quality of the food.. I am just not a fan of sweet sauces and seasonings on meats. It is also a very.. shall we say.. busy.. experience. It is loud and there is a lot going on. The lady that came around doing the luau stuff got kind of annoying.. she may not have been one of their better ones.. I get what they were trying to do.. it just didn't work for me.

Breakfast on the other hand.. as others have mentioned is regular breakfast stuff.. but it is all very good. I am not sure what they did to the eggs.. but they were great! the character interaction was a lot of fun and we got a lot of fun pictures with them.

Overall.. I don't begrudge people's love for dinner here, but rest assured you don't have me to compete with for a ADR for dinner. ;)

jlsHouston

OMIGOSH. Dinner. Like everyone said. The breakfast is just another character experience. The dinner amazing. The salad, the potstickers, the sticky wings. Then the meat, the shrimp and chicken my favorite. Oh and the bread pudding for dessert. OMG.

MissingDisney

If you asked a few years ago, I would have said dinner but IMHO it has gone downhill in service and food quality. Food was over/undercooked, service has been frustratingly slow, we've had to ask for drink refills repeatedly before getting anything.....but breakfast has been top notch with amazing food and service. We just find it to be a better overall experience and enjoy looking out at the surrounding scenery in the morning sunshine.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Definitely thought they both had characters. Thanks for the heads up!

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Dinner, a thousand times.

For the record, we've done both. Here's the rundown:

Breakfast: Standard fare (waffles, bacon, eggs, fruit) with absolutely nothing unique or special offered, and no better in quality than what you'd find on the free Continental breakfast buffet at your local budget hotel. The Characters on offer (Lilo and Stitch -- who? Oh yeah, the ones from that annoying movie the kids couldn't sit through even once, although my son's hunger to meet Stitch could have been met for far less expense with a visit to the Main Street flagpole -- and Mickey/Pluto, who are great but who can be met half a dozen other places on property) weren't much of a draw for us. (The character interaction was also the most hurried and terrible we'd ever experienced, and our seating location and service were dismal as well, but I'm trying to leave those aspects out of my analysis as they can vary by visit.) I might feel differently if the menu had some pizzazz or if Moana was appearing, but as it is,'Ohana breakfast is the second-biggest Disney dining dud we've ever had and we felt we'd completely wasted our money on it.

Dinner: A Polynesian-inspired menu including pork dumplings, sticky honey-coriander chicken wings, tossed salad and bread, lo mein with vegetables, skewer-grilled shrimp, steak and pork, and banana bread pudding, served family-style while a beautiful ukelele player circulates the room, occasionally inviting the children to join her for the hula, etc. Dinner at 'Ohana (both the menu and the entertainment) have been enjoyed by my family on multiple occasions, and though we've also seen sluggish service (once) and/or gotten a "bad" seat at dinner (once), the rest of the experience made up for it, and we've never left disappointed or feeling that it wasn't worth the money.
Thank you so much for this thorough and honest review! I'm looking to do one character meal and am trying to decide between Chef Mickey breakfast, 'Ohana Breakfast and Chef Mickey Dinner. In your opinion, which of these would be most worth the $$?

Weather_Lady

Thank you so much for this thorough and honest review! I'm looking to do one character meal and am trying to decide between Chef Mickey breakfast, 'Ohana Breakfast and Chef Mickey Dinner. In your opinion, which of these would be most worth the $$?

I'm afraid I'm not qualified to give that opinion, having never been to Chef Mickey's! I'm sure there are others here who can steer you in the right direction. (Off topic, but the "Fab 4" character meal about which I've read the most consistently positive reviews is Tusker House in the AK.)

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I'm afraid I'm not qualified to give that opinion, having never been to Chef Mickey's! I'm sure there are others here who can steer you in the right direction. (Off topic, but the "Fab 4" character meal about which I've read the most consistently positive reviews is Tusker House in the AK.)
Never thought to consider Tusker House. Thanks for the suggestion!

wwmmd

I MUCH prefer Tusker House breakfast over 'Ohana breakfast. I've only had dinner at Chef Mickey and it was ok, although our character interaction with Goofy was awesome and something my kids still talk about from time to time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom