The return of a Disneyland in Brazil - in a new location (open brainstorming)

mharrington

Original Poster
This is for a brand-new thread of a brand-new Disneyland back in Brazil, but this time not in the go-to location of Rio de Janeiro. Instead, it's now in Curitiba. Why the location change? There actually was rumored to be a Disney park built here some time ago, but the plans never really materialized. Here's what this book on international Disney parks, by William Silvester, had to say about that (as part of an epilogue about where the next Disney park might go next):

Word leaked out in February 2010 that Disney was planning to build a theme park in Curitiba, the capital city of Parana state in southern Brazil. Unnamed sources stated that Curitiba had been chosen because of "its excellent infrastructure, its strategic location and its international airport."

Construction was slated to begin in August 2011 and expected to last five years as twenty-five square kilometers of land were serviced and developed. The Disney resort would consist of a theme park, a zoo, water park, shopping center, and hotel complex.

Jose Carioca, a suave Brazilian parrot who made his debut in Saludos Amigos (1943) appearing with Donald Duck, would have a special area.

Disney already has a strong presence in Latin America with several Disney-owned TV channels, radio stations, a complex for dubbing Disney movies into Portuguese, and numerous publications.

As the announced dates have long passed, it is apparent that the Curitiba project was little more than a rumor, but one that rears its head every now and again as other infrastructure and construction projects take place. The announcement of the 2014 World Cup was to be held in Curitiba and the awarding of the 2016 Olympic Games to Rio de Janeiro give the hint of possibility to the speculation.

But now the park in Curitiba will finally come to fruition, but without the zoo.

To start with, one thing I was tinkering with was the Main Street area, which I was thinking of having it look something like this third concept art (it says "Whimsy Main Street"):
delaney_shanghaifacades.jpg

This bottom sketch features various far-out designs more reminiscent of Downtown Disney than anything else.

One thing I was thinking of for this area was to take this whimsical Main Street and do it as a World's Fair theme of sorts somehow. For good measure, this area would be home not only to a station to a train around the park - with a twist, as I will tell it soon enough, but also it will be home to It's a Small World and Soarin'.

And I would love some help in this area and elsewhere, too.

Last edited:

mharrington

Original Poster
One thing I was thinking of in terms of how the castle should look is something like how the rumored redesign of the castle in Hong Kong should look:
hkdlc029348fi.jpg

The90skid

Ladies and Gentlemen, back from over a year's long absence on the forums, that guy with the penchant for saxophone playing and abandoned ideas, folks, I'm BAAAACK!! And I'm following this thread for the ideas!

mharrington

Original Poster
I would like some help with Main Street, as I am trying to do it kind of like a cross between the "whimsy" style (see #1) and something of a world's fair. Can anyone please help me with that?

EmFromPlanetEarth

I was thinking that if we decide to do a adventure themed area, we could possibly resurrect the fire mountain idea, except with a more expedition Everest style of thrill, and maybe include a drop track. And we could also do a more technological enhanced space mountain, since I don't think tron is popular in Brazil.

mharrington

Original Poster
I was thinking that if we decide to do a adventure themed area, we could possibly resurrect the fire mountain idea, except with a more expedition Everest style of thrill, and maybe include a drop track. And we could also do a more technological enhanced space mountain, since I don't think tron is popular in Brazil.

I have some ideas for Adventureland, but right now, can anyone provide ideas for the Main Street area?

EmFromPlanetEarth

Maybe the Main Street should be themed to Walt Disney's many wonderful moments and be loosely based off of his home town. Kinda like Main Street USA, but more focused around Walt. If you want to stick with the world's fair idea, Maybe add some Mary Blair inspired buildings. Also, I think it would be a good idea to add themes of peace, harmony, and coming together, so I think it could be the perfect place to put an iasw in.

Last edited:

mharrington

Original Poster
Maybe the Main Street should be themed to Walt Disney's many wonderful moments and be loosely based off of his home town. Kinda like Main Street USA, but more focused around Walt.

But isn't that already the basis for Disneyland's Main Street? And actually, I was kind of thinking about doing something like that "whimsical" look in post #1. Or a world's fair look somehow (Main Street World's Fair?), so that this land can be the new home of both Small World and Soarin'.

mharrington

Original Poster
Mary Blair artwork is a start, maybe, but what about the buildings? How can we do the buildings in world's fair style and still do that whimsical look? Here's a second look at the artwork for reference (look where it says "Whimsy"; it's the third sketch, at the bottom):
delaney_shanghaifacades.jpg

I would like to try to combine the "whimsy" style with the world's fair style somehow. I was actually thinking of saving much of the Blair style for the end of Main Street, since that's where Small World will go.

EmFromPlanetEarth

Maybe do something simplistic yet colorful, and maybe add some abstract into the mix as well, because world's fairs are made to be temporary, they don't use very complex buildings, so keep it simple and colorful with some abstract, the Mary Blaire is where you can go crazy.

mharrington

Original Poster
Maybe do something simplistic yet colorful, and maybe add some abstract into the mix as well, because world's fairs are made to be temporary, they don't use very complex buildings, so keep it simple and colorful with some abstract, the Mary Blaire is where you can go crazy.

I don't think Main Street buildings are typically simplistic. The only one that may be simplistic is Tokyo's World Bazaar, but that's it.

AceAstro

I like the idea of a Whimsy Main Street so you could fit in It's a Small World. What if the way you do that is to combine the typical Main Street you see in Disney Parks around the world and then have a whimsy area as a subsection of Main Street (Think the planned Edison Square in Disneyland). That way, in the subsection you get that whimsy state, but it is at a smaller scale and also is the entrance for iasw. Just another idea though ahaha

The Mainstreet will must be ever a tribute to Walter Elias Disney an his concept of entertainment and themed parks. The rest of park must be designed and inspired in possible future visitors and its possible add more differents concepts based in the imagination!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom